.35 Whelen

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

.35 Whelen

Post by headspace » 06 Apr 2014, 5:31 pm

As usual a young man's thoughts turn to the next rifle he's going to get, and I began to think in terms of the .35 Whelen. The trouble is that it's not longer produced in a commercial bolt rifle, with the possible exception of Ruger.

The round was originally designed to be used with Mauser style control feed actions and is simply a necked up 30-06. It's probably a bit much gun for pigs, but in thick scrub it could useful on Samba deer and possible Buffalo in the Territory.

From my research on it the energy levels at reasonable hunting ranges it excellent, but I would probably have to get a rifle made up. Factory ammo is still available. Anyone heard of any of these getting about?

JD :?:
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: .35 Whelen

Post by yoshie » 06 Apr 2014, 10:35 pm

I think you can still get them in a Remington 7600.

I was going to get a 35 Whelan made up off an old brno but when I did the sums I bought a zastava in 9.3x62 for less then a rebarrel. Whelan dies aren't that common and are a custom die. I found a set of 9.3 dies at a good price which pushed me in the 9.3 direction. And 9.3 brass is more common. 35 Whelan would be fairly easy to make but you would probably need a 8mm or 338 expander die to make the cases from 3006. 30 to 35 in one go would be to much.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Re: .35 Whelan

Post by VICHunter » 07 Apr 2014, 8:42 am

headspace wrote:The round was originally designed to be used with Mauser style control feed actions and is simply a necked up 30-06. It's probably a bit much gun for pigs, but in thick scrub it could useful on Samba deer and possible Buffalo in the Territory.

A colleague of mine shoots .35 Whelen for his deer rifle... A second hand Sako I think from memory...

Mostly Sambar and a few of his spots are in dogwood and other dense forestry. Might only be doing shots at 35-40m but there can be a lot of s**t between you and the deer.

He swears by it though.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 07 Apr 2014, 8:42 am

Forgot to say, he also works for one of the local gun shops so isn't short on choice.

For all the options he still went .35 Whelen, for what it's worth.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 07 Apr 2014, 9:22 am

headspace wrote:The trouble is that it's not longer produced in a commercial bolt rifle...

That's always a bit of a sticking point for me.

Not that it's the end of the world obviously, just avoiding the hassle of ammo/components not being readily available down the road.

Throwing out a few alternative...

On the subject of 30-06... 30-06 will let you shoot up to 220gr pills or there abouts. .35 Whelan will take you up to about 250gr.

30-06 is obviously enough for deer. How likely are you to want/need that extra pill weight for the buffalo?

If 30-06 isn't up to the task there is always 9.3x62mm

If buffalo is a serious possibility this is probably a better option anyway... With up to 300gr bullets readily available.

Both are readily available cartridges and have various brands chambering them in current rifle offerings. Those are my thoughts anyway, hopefully not completely useless :lol:
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 07 Apr 2014, 5:06 pm

Thanks for the input men, I had seriously considered the 9.5x67. It's a pretty impressive cartridge.

I'm moving north soon up to the Mareeba area and it's not a real big drive to get across to Buff country from there.

That Zastava may be a good option and the price is right too. I already have a 308 and done right it would handle a Buff, the extra insurance is always good though.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 07 Apr 2014, 6:01 pm

Hmm,

My two schools of thought are this...

1) If you've already got a .308 and are looking to add a new rifle to the collection (not replace the .308) IMO the 30-06 isn't enough of a step up to really warrant it if you're likely to get into buffalo. Probably the same for the .35 Whelen if I'm being honest...

Since you've already got the .308 if you're planning on keeping it, I'd have the .308 for everything from deer down, and look at a dedicated rifle for buffalo chambered appropriately... Might as well go all out if it's a dedicated buffalo gun so you can take em all, big and small...

.375 Ruger or H&H? .416 Rigby or Ruger?

2) If you're thinking of replacing the .308 with a middle of the range type calibre that will be a lot for deer, but enough for buffalo...

8x57IS / 7.92×57mm Mauser or something around the 9mm range... 9.3x62, 9.3x66 Sako etc. Budget allowing...

2c.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hadoku » 07 Apr 2014, 6:10 pm

My shoulders are aching just reading your post Old Fart :lol:
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Baz460 » 07 Apr 2014, 6:25 pm

JD,

I have a 35 Whelan in a Remington Pump, and apart from my 460 Weatherby, is the best Pig rifle I have ever used, and would be ideal for Sambar in heavy scrub.

Mine has a 10 shot Mag and a Red Dot scope, a mate of mine loads up some pretty severe rounds for it, and it is devastating on Pigs and Brumby's.

After 50 years of hunting, for Pigs, I have narrowed my Rifles down to, a 25/06, for when they get out around 300mts, and the Whelan, and I reckon I've got all bases covered.

Cheers Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 10 Apr 2014, 1:46 pm

Come to a decision JD?

Going with the .35 Whelan or another option?
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 10 Apr 2014, 8:40 pm

The more I think about it the 6.5x65 is looking good. I can get a rifle at a reasonable price up to a Voere.

The cartridge had all the punch I want for Buff but will do very well on some of those big hairy hogs to be found up north, and I WILL be hanging onto the 308.

I also have a 223 with a heavy barrel and that's the dog rifle. So 3 rifle in the safe and we should be all go.

JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 11 Apr 2014, 4:14 pm

Sounds like a plan to me.
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by headspace » 11 Apr 2014, 9:55 pm

Baz, I'd really like a Whelan but prefer a bolt gun. Not a fan of pumps and tubular mags. Thanks anyway.

JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 12 Apr 2014, 9:52 am

If you realy want a Whelen..... just do it, dont worry about the minor details, differences between other chamberings such as the 9.3x62 being the Euro whelen or vice versa (9.3 preceded the Whelen by 20yrs or so)

Note the 9.3 has the edge.... and is available in a number of makes, even Savage did a run of them....

Your own Whelen though is only a rebarrel away from any standard length standard rim bolt action....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by headspace » 13 Apr 2014, 7:32 pm

All true mate, just a matter of working through the options. Howa have a barrelled action in 9.3 and I'd ideally like a walnut stock for the more classic look.

I can get some nice walnut blanks for about $170. Or just get a bloody Zastava for $700. See what I mean? :roll:
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 13 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm

Zasty would be the easiest option, off the shelf timber stocked, no messing around for a new stock, I think the timber model even comes with open sights...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by headspace » 15 Apr 2014, 9:55 pm

Yes it does, and open sights are not too bad in close work. So I'm looking at Voere, Zastava and maybe a Ruger in 9.5x64
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 16 Apr 2014, 8:51 pm

OK boys another option may have opened up. Montana Rifles have their model 1999 available here now and in the US it's available in .35 Whelan! Prices start at nearly 2,400 bucks tho...
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 17 Apr 2014, 2:07 pm

You only have to buy it once I suppose.

You're obviously pretty set on the Whelan... Might be time to just take the plunge ;)
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jessie » 17 Apr 2014, 2:10 pm

Always nice to have something different ;)

Go for it.
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by headspace » 17 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm

I'll let you know...
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 18 Apr 2014, 10:18 am

Cool :)
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 21 Oct 2016, 12:06 pm

Hey Headspace... how'd ya go? I'm getting keen on a WHELEN and this thread came up on google search.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Oct 2016, 1:07 pm

So, I just picked this thread up too. Yeh, Id stick to a more common rounds and consider the 338 or the 375 H&H or 9.3x62

There also needs to be a decent jump/difference if keeping the 308. That's why I got a 3006, seemed middle of the road and ammo is easy to buy.

Of course you could have at this thread?? viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6902 Its back under control now.

Be interested to know what you ended up getting?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Homer » 22 Oct 2016, 7:56 am

G'Day Fella's,

Headspace, I have a Ruger M77 MkII Stainless in .350 Rem Mag in Excellence condition that I no longer need.
This has basically the same ballistics as the .35 Whelen but in a short action rifle.

Here is an image of it.
scan0002.jpg
scan0002.jpg (207.22 KiB) Viewed 4784 times

PM me if you would like more info.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles