Same old question you have heard before - best overall rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Same old question you have heard before - best overall r

Post by Tubs » 30 Jul 2021, 9:21 am

in2anity wrote:+1 to rebarrel your 223. The medium hunter profile isn't too heavy, especially if you chop it to 20-22", and does well at the range for field positional.

https://www.cleaverfirearms.com/Product ... %20PROFILE

$400 + smith costs fitting/headspacing for something that'll get you to 500m easy. I use a 1:9" with the 69gr SMK and it shoots 300m V's all day long (if I'm doing my part). Indeed a 1:8" can stabilize an 80gr fullbore pill, but that just makes 500m+ windy shooting easier. The heavy pills are specialized - not appropriate for normal hunting distances. Take what you can get basically.

Yes, I shoot SMK 175's out of my 308, amazing bullets, great for headshots @ 200+
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 30 Jul 2021, 10:51 am

Tubs wrote:Yes, I shoot SMK 175's out of my 308, amazing bullets, great for headshots @ 200+

Almost as good as the "gucci" target pills - and you can take them further by weight sorting :thumbsup:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 30 Jul 2021, 11:36 am

One that goes "BANG" and hits what you aimed for.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 30 Jul 2021, 11:39 am

Bugman wrote:One that goes "BANG" and hits what you aimed for.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jul 2021, 12:14 pm

Pre 1996 I shot oodles of pigs with a 223 and never lost one , I only upgraded to a 243 because of the money in the gun buy back and a 223 blr was not available
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jul 2021, 12:16 pm

But if you have the itch for a new toy I don’t want to stop you. Go grab yourself a 243, or creedmore or 7 mm o8
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 30 Jul 2021, 12:25 pm

Blr243 wrote:But if you have the itch for a new toy I don’t want to stop you. Go grab yourself a 243, or creedmore or 7 mm o8

Its addictive!
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 30 Jul 2021, 10:36 pm

Don't know about best but my 222/308/20g is pretty versatile.

https://youtu.be/IV4v-xh0smY
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by boingk » 30 Jul 2021, 11:05 pm

Mate go a Ruger American in 223. Bloody light, pretty accurate and damn good value.

I don't regret mine at all, its only an 18" barrel in a compact stock but comes in at about 7lb loaded with scope. Thats insanity. The same model 308 weighs very little more.

Honestly if smaller game are on the table I'd be tempted to go a 223 for the all-around. Accurate, wide variety and availability of both projectiles and factory ammo, tame recoil, and will take pretty much anything with a head shot.

If it were a 3-gun match I'd roll 223 / 308 and 12G.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Tubs » 30 Jul 2021, 11:29 pm

boingk wrote:Mate go a Ruger American in 223. Bloody light, pretty accurate and damn good value.

I don't regret mine at all, its only an 18" barrel in a compact stock but comes in at about 7lb loaded with scope. Thats insanity. The same model 308 weighs very little more.

Honestly if smaller game are on the table I'd be tempted to go a 223 for the all-around. Accurate, wide variety and availability of both projectiles and factory ammo, tame recoil, and will take pretty much anything with a head shot.

If it were a 3-gun match I'd roll 223 / 308 and 12G.

- boingk

Hey mate, already got a 223 and 308 so would probably opt for the 243 if it is light... Certainly is cheaper than the Tikka
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 30 Jul 2021, 11:57 pm

Yeah, can't imagine why it wouldn't be the same. Not as refined as the Tikka but certainly shoots well and is pretty darn light. If that's what you're after its not a bad option. Here's a vid on a basic 1000yd combo with the same model rifle in 6.5 Creed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUjRRr5JsA
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by mchughcb » 31 Jul 2021, 8:22 am

For every conceivable occasion.
Attachments
Bockdrilling.jpg
Bockdrilling.jpg (274.86 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 31 Jul 2021, 9:34 am

Not everyone has 8k to drop on a bockdrilling.....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Jul 2021, 9:42 am

Ruger #1.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 31 Jul 2021, 10:58 am

bigpete wrote:Not everyone has 8k to drop on a bockdrilling.....

Yeah but they got $6k on thermals on a $2k sako.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 31 Jul 2021, 11:05 am

Sounds like option are to either upgrade the barrel on the 223 (say a prayer if I have to shoot pigs) or move up a calibre or 2.

If you could only pick one of these which one? 243, Creedmore or 7 mm-08?

Dont forget I already have a 308, albiet a heavy one.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 31 Jul 2021, 11:42 am

mchughcb wrote:
bigpete wrote:Not everyone has 8k to drop on a bockdrilling.....

Yeah but they got $6k on thermals on a $2k sako.

Not this little black duck.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by boingk » 31 Jul 2021, 11:52 am

Out of the 6.5 Creed, 7-08 and 243 I'd go the 243.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bigrich » 31 Jul 2021, 7:31 pm

Tubs wrote:Sounds like option are to either upgrade the barrel on the 223 (say a prayer if I have to shoot pigs) or move up a calibre or 2.

maybe you need a lighter 308 :unknown: i had a sako A7 in 308 and it was very accurate and light , with a great trigger . DAMN ! i shoulda kept that one .... :roll:

if i had to pick one of the listed above it would be 243 . ammo is common in regional areas, creedmore and 7-08 probably not so much . "resupply" should be considered

:drinks: :drinks:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 31 Jul 2021, 7:35 pm

bigrich wrote:
Tubs wrote:Sounds like option are to either upgrade the barrel on the 223 (say a prayer if I have to shoot pigs) or move up a calibre or 2.

maybe you need a lighter 308 :unknown: i had a sako A7 in 308 and it was very accurate and light , with a great trigger . DAMN ! i shoulda kept that one .... :roll:

if i had to pick one of the listed above it would be 243 . ammo is common in regional areas, creedmore and 7-08 probably not so much . "resupply" should be considered

Brush gun 308 would be pretty cool but the recoil shooting 175 grain pills might be a bit rough.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 31 Jul 2021, 7:38 pm

Tubs wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Brush gun 308 would be pretty cool but the recoil shooting 175 grain pills might be a bit rough.

i don't mean to be rude, but why 175 gn pills ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 31 Jul 2021, 7:47 pm

bigrich wrote:
Tubs wrote:
bigrich wrote:

i don't mean to be rude, but why 175 gn pills ?

Alot of 175 gr Sierra MK BTHP's pre-loaded. Ive got 130 gr Speer HP's as well.... Sorry, off topic, more about consolidating rifles than matching ammo
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 31 Jul 2021, 9:13 pm

150 -165 gr projectiles are more than enough for anything your likely to come across . 165gn speers are great performers and fairly cheap too :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by boingk » 01 Aug 2021, 3:22 am

Ruger American Ranch in 308? Hell yeah.

That's more or less what I've got - 18" barrel 'Compact' variant with a Ranch stock and topped with Leupold 4-12*40 optic. Lovely rifle and spot on accurate. 5 shots in 15 seconds into 4 inches at 200m. Recoil isn't too bad either and the whole thing is very light. I can get a weight tomorrow if interested.

Again, the 243 would be good to round out the stable but a nice light 308 is a great thing.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Tubs » 01 Aug 2021, 5:54 am

boingk wrote:Ruger American Ranch in 308? Hell yeah.

That's more or less what I've got - 18" barrel 'Compact' variant with a Ranch stock and topped with Leupold 4-12*40 optic. Lovely rifle and spot on accurate. 5 shots in 15 seconds into 4 inches at 200m. Recoil isn't too bad either and the whole thing is very light. I can get a weight tomorrow if interested.

Again, the 243 would be good to round out the stable but a nice light 308 is a great thing.

- boingk

Sounds like the ticket - need to find it in left handed though. Sounds like options are limited to a Tikka Lite or a Ruger Predator, Ruger Scout, Browning X Bolt, Browning BLR - lever, Marlin 308, other levers? Will be easier to find a LH 308 than a 243 for sure.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Aug 2021, 12:34 pm

Tubs wrote:Hey All,

Assume you are going on a long hike solo through scrub and a few hills and need to sustain your diet with whatever you can find. What rifle/calibre would you choose to hunt with?

- My 223 1 in 12 too under-gunned for pigs but easy to lug around (3kg with scope)
- My 308 is too much gun for small game and is heavy (4kg with scope). Tikka Varmint so better suited to distance shooting ie: slow
- Shotgun not enough distance for longer shots
- My 357 lever is quick but not accurate enough for small game IMO (light! only 2.5kg)

Would you stick with the 223 and go for head shots? the 1 in 12 twist is the problem - cant shoot anything over 55gn.

30-30 lever maybe? Good for medium distance, enough clout for everything? Would be faster shooting than the 308. Im a lefty so ambi is good.

I really really really dont need to buy another one do I :D ?!

I just spotted this can-o-worms thread :-)

I enjoy great variety and choice, but my go-to rifle is probably the Ruger American in 7mm-08 due to its great versatility.

I don't think any cartridge is too much for small game, if you load it accordingly.

Shotguns are my last choice for any hunting at all.

I wouldn't be too put off by lack of heavier bullets in the .223, even a blunt 70gn soft-point hits hard. Try Nosler Partitions or a monolithic brass or copper bullet.

Depending on what you're hunting, if you don't need a scope leave it home, it's just extra weight and bulk, and if it's raining it can be frustrating if you get water on the glass when you go for a shot.

Lever-actions in .30-30, .243, .308, .44 Mag etc are a great choice for a carry rifle as they're compact and light. If you want accuracy at longer ranges though you'll need a modern locked-breech, box-mag design. You should be able to get an old-school lever down to .22LR accuracy levels though for shooting rabbits to 50m.

No, you don't need to buy another rifle, you need to buy a lot more rifles!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 01 Aug 2021, 1:21 pm

Thanks for including levers in this discussion blade. I had a great day at the range yesterday with my marlin 44 , it’s finally settled down after a bit of work and a few more rounds through the barrel to being a really good shooter.
Your post on downloading larger calibers and such for small game got me thinking about my 45-70. And I’ve come up with a solution for rabbits. Go out at night with a spot light, while ya mate has them mesmerised with the light, creep up around the side of them and use my marlin like a cricket bat ! No red mist and it’s already tenderised :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by boingk » 01 Aug 2021, 1:42 pm

Tubs wrote:Sounds like the ticket - need to find it in left handed though. Sounds like options are limited to a Tikka Lite or a Ruger Predator, Ruger Scout, Browning X Bolt, Browning BLR - lever, Marlin 308, other levers? Will be easier to find a LH 308 than a 243 for sure.

Hey mate the Ruger American 'Predator' is just another variant. Comes with the nice stock and slightly thicker profile threaded barrel. A mate just got one and its almost identical to mine bar the threaded muzzle and slightly heavier profile barrel. Every bit as accurate, too.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Tubs » 01 Aug 2021, 3:15 pm

boingk wrote:
Tubs wrote:Sounds like the ticket - need to find it in left handed though. Sounds like options are limited to a Tikka Lite or a Ruger Predator, Ruger Scout, Browning X Bolt, Browning BLR - lever, Marlin 308, other levers? Will be easier to find a LH 308 than a 243 for sure.

Hey mate the Ruger American 'Predator' is just another variant. Comes with the nice stock and slightly thicker profile threaded barrel. A mate just got one and its almost identical to mine bar the threaded muzzle and slightly heavier profile barrel. Every bit as accurate, too.

- boingk

Ta. Reason the predator caught my attention is that it comes with a left handed option...
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Aug 2021, 3:53 pm

If the predator come LH and 1:8 or 1:9 u should probably grab one. I think 1:9 stabilises up to about 70gr.

Someone here may know for certain.
Perhaps check here.

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles