Howa 1500 MINI ACTION first rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa 1500 MINI ACTION first rifle

Post by Aussie_Vic » 01 Aug 2021, 10:20 pm

G'day all!

I've been watching and reading reviews on the HOWA 1500 .223 it looks and sounds like a great rifle.

Has anyone used it and had experience with it and would recommend it.?

The only problem i heard was the magazine is plastic and has problems loading into chamber.

Cheers
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Howa 1500 MINI ACTION first rifle

Post by Harrynsw » 01 Aug 2021, 10:48 pm

Hi mate
I had one. My biggest gripe was the release for the magazine was to big. Out hunting it got caught on 2 separate occasions and released the magazine, it was just pure luck both times I happened to look down on the ground and/or at my rifle to realise It wasn't there. You could modify it quite easily.

Other than that, it was light, accurate and had a big capacity. It liked the OSA 55grain soft points.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 02 Aug 2021, 1:39 am

My brother has one. IMO the best value rifle on the market. I don't own one, I'm a CZ fan, the Howa shoots.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by disco stu » 02 Aug 2021, 8:19 am

I thought all Howa had the internal box magazine, unless you went aftermarket removable magazine. My short action 308 has internal, I've never had feeding issues or the floor plate open, the catch is minimal and needs decent pressure to open I thought. Not sure on the difference between my rifle and Harry's

I bought because like mentioned they have a great reputation. Picked up my stainless brand new for $620 during a sale which appears to be a great price, Tikka etc was just outside my price range
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 02 Aug 2021, 8:47 am

disco stu wrote:I thought all Howa had the internal box magazine, unless you went aftermarket removable magazine. My short action 308 has internal, I've never had feeding issues or the floor plate open, the catch is minimal and needs decent pressure to open I thought. Not sure on the difference between my rifle and Harry's

I bought because like mentioned they have a great reputation. Picked up my stainless brand new for $620 during a sale which appears to be a great price, Tikka etc was just outside my price range

The mini action have an external mag as standard. I was considering doing the conversion on my howa 1500 223, but the legacy ones are all plastic. The metal ones are super expensive and hard to justify $250 to $300 on a $600 to $700 rifle.
Funnily enough, I’ve used mine once and the issue I had was taking the skin off my thumb against the pic rail while loading. It’s an mdt rail and not sure if any other would be different. Maybe it’s my technique. Anyway it wouldn’t happen with a mini action :lol:
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 02 Aug 2021, 9:13 am

Great little rifle. Nice and quick to cycle due to the "mini" action length. IMO 22" is a good length for a 223 hunting rifle, even for a range rifle, to modest distances. Need to keep the bolt oiled and lugs greased as they are a little gritty to cycle from the factory. The 10-shot is a blessing for target shooting, if overkill for hunting. Personally I prefer an integral magazine for carry, as they are more comfortable over the shoulder. Remember go light barrel for hunting, but something a little beefier if you're hoping to marvel over small groups...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bah! » 02 Aug 2021, 10:32 am

Other issue with the mini action is a lack of 3rd party stocks.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by disco stu » 02 Aug 2021, 12:09 pm

Lsfan wrote:
disco stu wrote:I thought all Howa had the internal box magazine, unless you went aftermarket removable magazine. My short action 308 has internal, I've never had feeding issues or the floor plate open, the catch is minimal and needs decent pressure to open I thought. Not sure on the difference between my rifle and Harry's

The mini action have an external mag as standard. I was considering doing the conversion on my howa 1500 223, but the legacy ones are all plastic. The metal ones are super expensive and hard to justify $250 to $300 on a $600 to $700 rifle.
Funnily enough, I’ve used mine once and the issue I had was taking the skin off my thumb against the pic rail while loading. It’s an mdt rail and not sure if any other would be different. Maybe it’s my technique. Anyway it wouldn’t happen with a mini action :lol:

There you go hey. Cheers
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 02 Aug 2021, 8:22 pm

Hard to go wrong there for $700 or so.

Also in that price range is the Ruger American - my personal favorite.

Either way you'll end up with something that shoot well.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Cooper » 02 Aug 2021, 9:48 pm

bah! wrote:Other issue with the mini action is a lack of 3rd party stocks.

The short action does have more aftermarket stock options. But you can get MDT chassis’s and Boyd’s and others for the Mini action.

I bought one in 204 Ruger first. Liked it so much I got a 223 one. Then I also got one in 6.5 Grendel.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Aussie_Vic » 02 Aug 2021, 9:50 pm

There's 3 packages with the HOWA 1500 series in .223

1. Tasco scope 3-9x40, rings, leupold rifleman bases and a spika padded gun bag. TOTAL $795

2. .223 24" threaded, Leupold rifleman bases, Tasco 4-12x40 scope + rings, Huntpro stainless cleaning rod along with 6 brass jags, 6 brass brushes and the same rifle bag. TOTAL $895

3. .223 20" threaded, Leupold rifleman bases and the exact same as the second option TOTAL $895

Any good choices or just meh?

All from Horsely Park.

Cheers
19yo
Tikka TX1 .22
Tikka T3X .270
Aussie_Vic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by boingk » 02 Aug 2021, 9:56 pm

Any of them would be a good option. I'd be tempted for option #2. The extra length will net you a bit more velocity for free and it comes with cleaning gear and a bag. Brilliant starter kit.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by ZaineB » 02 Aug 2021, 9:57 pm

mini acion has a lack of aftermarket options for upgrades last I checked, however I have a friend with one in a hogue stock and its a shooter, so really personal preference, I went normal short action with mine cos more aftermarket support and I didnt want any of their stock offerings
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by disco stu » 02 Aug 2021, 10:03 pm

If it's useful info, I got my stainless 308 through Abelas, which is linked to Horsley park, for $620. Barreled action and stock only though.

Why would you need 6 jags in a cleaning kit?
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 02 Aug 2021, 10:21 pm

disco stu wrote:Why would you need 6 jags in a cleaning kit?

I'm assuming its got three styles by two sizes in a basic all-in-one style kit.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Lsfan » 02 Aug 2021, 10:23 pm

disco stu wrote:If it's useful info, I got my stainless 308 through Abelas, which is linked to Horsley park, for $620. Barreled action and stock only though.

Why would you need 6 jags in a cleaning kit?

When did you buy that from abelas? I haven’t seen pricing like that from them for a couple of years.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 03 Aug 2021, 7:45 am

You're right, it was about 2yrs ago. With the amount of animals I've shot with it, it feels like 2 weeks ago :D

It was during one of their big one day sales. My club was cooking the barbecue, and one of the committee was chatting to someone in there and knew I was looking for one. Not even sure they had that sale last year due to covid.

That seems logical boingk. I was picturing 6 223 jags and was scratching my head
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 03 Aug 2021, 9:02 am

Howa Mini's are fantastic little action. I bought a first batch 6.5 Grendel sporter which wet my appetite. A HB 223 was soon in the safe but a mate had to have it after shooting a thumb nail size group with Fiocchi factory ammo. I bought a HB 6.5 Grendel for range work after that and its been an easy gun to put 40-50 pills down range out to 400m, one of the benefits of the cartridge is the lack of recoil :thumbsup:

A recent interest in 6mm cartridges and better long range ballistic from the Grendel case saw me rebarrel my 6.5G to 6mm ARC last year during Covid.

Its easily my favorite gun in the safe and 90gr BT at 3100fps is plenty for local game

All of my guns run the trigger blokes $22 spring kits off ebay and the Tikka/Aimpoint oversized bolt knobs give you a real good grab handle. Ive also chopped all magazine release by half so that you cant bump it. Apart from that the action slicks up very quickly after a 100 rounds. A true short action that just works.

Stock choice is lacking but Boyds, MDT and Bell & Carlson are some options. :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 03 Aug 2021, 9:20 am

Yes good point about the howa bolt handles - they are made for tiny hands. I got a clamp-on oversized from our favorite shop.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 03 Aug 2021, 9:25 am

disco stu wrote:You're right, it was about 2yrs ago. With the amount of animals I've shot with it, it feels like 2 weeks ago :D

It was during one of their big one day sales. My club was cooking the barbecue, and one of the committee was chatting to someone in there and knew I was looking for one. Not even sure they had that sale last year due to covid.

That seems logical boingk. I was picturing 6 223 jags and was scratching my head

That sort of pricing now only comes from cleaver in qld. I bought my 223 from cleaver about 6 months ago for $600. In saying that I think a stainless version is around $700, then you have to factor in the transfer and freight fees.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bah! » 03 Aug 2021, 8:33 pm

Bill wrote:Stock choice is lacking but Boyds, MDT and Bell & Carlson are some options. :drinks:

yes but not the xrs, only the lss. nothing by B&C with an adjust able cheekpiece
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by randomwally » 19 Aug 2021, 8:39 pm

I've had a Howa mini .223 for about 6 years now. The barreled action is good, compact, light, smooth and accurate. The hogue stocks are mediocre. The magazine setup is rubbish and I can't believe anyone involved in the design has ever taken a rifle into the field. As others have said, stupidly easy to bump the release and drop your mag + ammo, never to be seen again.

Some gunsmiths in the USA have started manufacturing small batches of metal hinged floorplates w/ trigger guard for the mini. I recently went through the process of getting a permit importing one and also bought a B&C stock. The two parts have completely transformed the look and feel of the rifle and I finally really like it after all these years. However, at almost $1500 for the action, stock and floorplate it's no longer a cheap gun. Have not yet had a chance to test the internal mag feed or shoot it with the new stock so fingers crossed it all works as good as it looks.
randomwally
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pilotsignal » 20 Aug 2021, 2:47 pm

Those prices do not exist :unknown: anymore. I am also, making a decision whether to get a rifle from Cleverarms or locally from Abdels's as QLD shop looks cheaper. But, I am not sure how much it will be more for shipping and papaerwork and all those troubles. May be 50-100$ max? Does it worth it?
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 20 Aug 2021, 2:54 pm

Most shops seem to charge $100 for a transfer from a QLD mega shop and the mega shop will charge about $60 for shipping. It has still been several hundred $$ cheaper for a couple of rifles I have bought from them for others I managed to get for close to the same price locally after negotiation.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by disco stu » 20 Aug 2021, 3:42 pm

I think I saw in Oak flats that they charge $150 for a transfer from Cleavers. Might not have been that high, but it was still much higher than a normal transfer, and it was obvious they dislike them
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 20 Aug 2021, 5:18 pm

Anyone familiar with the Howa Alpine? Apparently a few came to Australia but not that many.. Anyone here shot one?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by albat » 21 Aug 2021, 8:16 pm

Owned a stainless mini varmint .223 , incredibly accurate , but i sold it because the stainless was crap got pissed off rubbing the rust off it after the slightest bit of rain exposure bouht a tikka t3x stainless been dunked in the river and no hint of rust , big price differece though
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by northdude » 23 Aug 2021, 5:13 pm

got one in 6.5grendel really nice little rifle. did a little mod to the trigger guard plastic so you can keep the action tight in the stock
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Bill » 15 Sep 2021, 3:36 pm

Well it looks like HOWA have committed to releasing the 6mm ARC on the Howa Mini action next year.

Spring 2022 in the USA so probably the 2nd half of 2022 for Australia :drinks:

Would make a great first rifle and hopefully we get a greater range of Bulk factory ammo to go along with it......
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by LawrenceA » 15 Sep 2021, 7:50 pm

Had a mini 223 for years.
Light, shoots well, good trigger which is easy to make great.
Suggest you get the fast twist version.
Personally believe the Howa's are pretty much the best value around.
Can't go wrong.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles