Matching twist rate > Tikka T3X .223 & Sako Gamehead 55gr

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Matching twist rate > Tikka T3X .223 & Sako Gamehead 55gr

Post by Traditionalist » 11 Aug 2021, 11:24 am

Hello good folks,

Can anyone tell me if the 1-8" twist barrel on a 'Tikka T3X lite' is the correct way to go for pairing with 55gr Sako Gamehead ammunition?

I use Sako ammo in my other .308 Tikka and it pairs well (as the manufacturer says it should), so I figured I'd go with Sako ammo in the T3X .223 provided it pairs well also.

However, 55gr is the heaviest the Gamehead ammo comes in... so I want to ensure I'm buying the rifle with the correct twist rate.

Thank you kindly.
Traditionalist
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Matching twist rate > Tikka T3X .223 & Sako Gamehead 55g

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2021, 11:44 am

A 1:8" will shoot that cartridge O-K. Technically, a slower twist is more optimal for a lighter 55gr bullet, nevertheless a 1:12" is right on the edge for a 0.81" length bullet. With modern "heavier bullet" trends, a 1:12" may be somewhat limiting for you.

I can't find any specs on the length of the Gamehead pills apart from being a flat-base - so i'm guessing it's gonna be similar to the 55gr A-Max which is 0.811". FYI I'm just basing this calculation from the Berger calculator output https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

If you could pull one and measure the length, it would be helpful.
Last edited by in2anity on 11 Aug 2021, 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Aug 2021, 12:01 pm

An 8"-twist .224" barrel will shoot bullets up to about 1.175" in length.

Traditionalist wrote:Hello good folks,

Can anyone tell me if the 1-8" twist barrel on a 'Tikka T3X lite' is the correct way to go for pairing with 55gr Sako Gamehead ammunition?

I use Sako ammo in my other .308 Tikka and it pairs well (as the manufacturer says it should), so I figured I'd go with Sako ammo in the T3X .223 provided it pairs well also.

However, 55gr is the heaviest the Gamehead ammo comes in... so I want to ensure I'm buying the rifle with the correct twist rate.

Thank you kindly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Traditionalist » 11 Aug 2021, 9:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. In2anity, I don't have a Sako Gamehead .223 round handy to measure up, though I'll endeavour to get back to you.
Traditionalist
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2021, 9:50 pm

Traditionalist, reaching deep into my rotting memory, I had a dig around and actually found a 55gr Sako Gamehead factory round:

C74EC336-8476-4ABC-BE0C-2804F621B8ED.jpeg
55gr sako gamehead projectile
C74EC336-8476-4ABC-BE0C-2804F621B8ED.jpeg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 4995 times

As it turns out, they are shorter than anticipated at 0.723”, which means indeed a 1:12” would be close to ideal.

Nevertheless my point still stands, a faster twist gives you more options without too much of a hit on accuracy. I have both a 1:9” and a 1:8” comp gun and they both shoot a lot of pills very well, including the 55grs.

Btw those Sako rounds are dear af. Would you really buy a gun to run only those?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Aug 2021, 10:04 pm

The old 222 benchrest guys would shoot 52 grain bullets from their 1:14 twist barrels. I would be surprised if a 1:14 223 barrel could not stabilise this 55 grain bullet.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Traditionalist » 12 Aug 2021, 2:06 pm

Hey in2anity,

Thanks so much for going to the trouble, it's much appreciated.

In terms of versatility it sounds like the 1:8 twist is the go.I hear you on the cost of the Sako pills.

I'm wanting to always buy in bulk whenever possible. Heavier pills are fine too... whatever ends up matching well with the Tikka is good with me.

What would you recommend in terms of less costly alternative?

The Sako 55gr Gamehead goes for around $1 per round ($620 for 600 rounds).

The 'Tikka' branded .223 rounds are $89.5 per round ($900 for 1000 rounds)

It's around $1 a round for Australian Outback or Buffalo River 55gr .223

What else would you recommend that's perhaps more affordable than those?
Traditionalist
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 12 Aug 2021, 2:25 pm

I think it really depends on the application - for hunting is it? I'm not one with a finger on the pulse when it comes to factory ammo. I was going to suggest OSA, but $1/round for the Sako isn't so bad is it, in this economy - I was thinking it was more like $1.50/cartridge for that premium stuff. Still, bloody hell factory ammo is expensive these days :crazy:

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you considered getting into reloading?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2021, 2:59 pm

SCJ429 wrote:The old 222 benchrest guys would shoot 52 grain bullets from their 1:14 twist barrels. I would be surprised if a 1:14 223 barrel could not stabilise this 55 grain bullet.

My 14"-twist .222 loved the 52gn and 53gn HP, and I did get it to shoot a 55gn FMJ.
At .723" I would expect the Sako bullet to shoot okay in a 14"-twist, but it might be marginal.
In an 8"-twist it'll be fine.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2021, 3:21 pm

Traditionalist wrote:Hey in2anity,

Thanks so much for going to the trouble, it's much appreciated.

In terms of versatility it sounds like the 1:8 twist is the go.I hear you on the cost of the Sako pills.

I'm wanting to always buy in bulk whenever possible. Heavier pills are fine too... whatever ends up matching well with the Tikka is good with me.

What would you recommend in terms of less costly alternative?

The Sako 55gr Gamehead goes for around $1 per round ($620 for 600 rounds).

The 'Tikka' branded .223 rounds are $89.5 per round ($900 for 1000 rounds)

It's around $1 a round for Australian Outback or Buffalo River 55gr .223

What else would you recommend that's perhaps more affordable than those?

Yep, I like the versatility of an 8"-twist.
As for ammo, I have no idea, I don't buy centrefire ammo, I load my own to do what I need to do.

You can bulk bullets in the 55gn to 62gn range very cheaply, about 15-cents apiece, when they come available.
60gn VMax is only about $40/100, and even the 80gn ELDM's (shoot great in my .223) are around $50/100.
Speer 52gn HP is $225/1000 currently.
Sierra's 55gn Gameking (sold here by Cleaver as Super Roo) is only $185/1000, shoots very well, and makes very good ammo for under 50-cents a shot.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Aug 2021, 6:50 pm

I am guessing that the OP is not wanting to extract every last bit of accuracy out of his rifle if he is shooting cheap factory ammo. I also doubt that he wants to shoot heavy 80 grain projectiles. Either 1:8 or 1:12 will shoot 55 grain bullets into respectable groups, 1\4 MOA should be achievable. The pick would be the 1:12 if you were wanting to maximise your accuracy potential.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 12 Aug 2021, 9:20 pm

I would go 1 in 9 or 10 twist because that would allow you to download to lower velocities and still be very stable but also be able to load some longer boattail bullets .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2021, 10:00 pm

JohnV wrote:I would go 1 in 9 or 10 twist because that would allow you to download to lower velocities and still be very stable but also be able to load some longer boattail bullets .

No reason you can't do that with the 8"-twist though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Aug 2021, 7:51 am

JohnV wrote:I would go 1 in 9 or 10 twist because that would allow you to download to lower velocities and still be very stable but also be able to load some longer boattail bullets .

Tikka don't make barrel's with these twist rates. His options are 1:12 or 1:8.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Traditionalist » 13 Aug 2021, 9:50 am

Yes, that's right Major... Tikka only offer those two options. Out of the two it sounds like 1:8 is perhaps the more versatile.
Traditionalist
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Traditionalist » 13 Aug 2021, 9:54 am

Thanks for the input in2anity... I think I've avoided reloading thus far as it looks time consuming, and I only have (at best) another 30 - 40 years left on this planet.

Perhaps I should review my bias there given the escalating costs of ammo.

Any particular set up you'd recommend?

Does one go the whole hog and get a Dillon XL-750 progressive set up? Or will a more modest unit suffice?
Last edited by Traditionalist on 13 Aug 2021, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Traditionalist » 13 Aug 2021, 9:55 am

Bladeracer, thanks for the input on affordable bulk ammo... I'll check those ones out.
Traditionalist
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2021, 10:28 am

SCJ429 wrote:I am guessing that the OP is not wanting to extract every last bit of accuracy out of his rifle if he is shooting cheap factory ammo. I also doubt that he wants to shoot heavy 80 grain projectiles. Either 1:8 or 1:12 will shoot 55 grain bullets into respectable groups, 1\4 MOA should be achievable. The pick would be the 1:12 if you were wanting to maximise your accuracy potential.

Your 1/4 moa statements spin me out SCJ429. I have custom SR and TR builds that can bring home the possibles, but neither would be 1/4 moa with my current loads. Let alone a factory rife. Granted the string count comes into play - I'm talking a string of at least x10 here.

From my perspective, if my Target Rifle can put x12 into 1/2 to 3/4 moa in a 7 minute window under average wind, I am a happy boy. No way I can do that from the sling - I'm averaging more up around the 1.5moa mark, removing wind. I agree an F-class rifle needs to be south of 1/2moa to hit the Xs, but boy those things are highly customised and tuned, far from a factory rifle...

You must have your load development down to a very fine art! :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Aug 2021, 2:04 pm

I am not particularly talented in shooting or reloading but I don't see why you couldn't get any Tikka chambered in 222 or 223 to put five bullets within 1\4 inch of each other in good conditions at 100 metres. That is, measure the total size of the group, deduct the calibre size, in this case .224, and the remaining size is .250 or smaller. I feel we have had this discussion before.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2021, 2:08 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I am not particularly talented in shooting or reloading but I don't see why you couldn't get any Tikka chambered in 222 or 223 to put five bullets within 1\4 inch of each other in good conditions at 100 metres. That is, measure the total size of the group, deduct the calibre size, in this case .224, and the remaining size is .250 or smaller. I feel we have had this discussion before.

Lol you are right, pretty sure we have :lol: I don't decrement the calibre size, I think that's the disconnect!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Aug 2021, 3:23 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I am guessing that the OP is not wanting to extract every last bit of accuracy out of his rifle if he is shooting cheap factory ammo. I also doubt that he wants to shoot heavy 80 grain projectiles. Either 1:8 or 1:12 will shoot 55 grain bullets into respectable groups, 1\4 MOA should be achievable. The pick would be the 1:12 if you were wanting to maximise your accuracy potential.

He actually did ask about heavier bullets.
Very, very few hunters need or want quarter-minute accuracy.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 13 Aug 2021, 7:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:

No reason you can't do that with the 8"-twist though.

That's true but more twist than you actually need can mount pressure quicker chasing max loads and spin drift increases .
8 twist would work pretty good if that's all that's on offer .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by straightshooter » 14 Aug 2021, 9:37 am

JohnV wrote:That's true but more twist than you actually need can mount pressure quicker chasing max loads and spin drift increases .... .

That's a new one for me.
Can you explain or describe the mechanics of spin drift?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Aug 2021, 9:57 am

Try to keep up Straightshooter, it is where a left handed shooter has a anti clockwise rifled barrel and is shooting north to south. The rotation of the earth and the electro magnetic radiation from the sun combine to make the shooter miss the target. They can then claim excuse #47 in the Shooter Excuse Book which is Spin Drift.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Aug 2021, 4:32 pm

straightshooter wrote:
JohnV wrote:That's true but more twist than you actually need can mount pressure quicker chasing max loads and spin drift increases .... .

That's a new one for me.
Can you explain or describe the mechanics of spin drift?

A mass spinning at high rpm in air has a tendency to drift _slightly_ in the direction of spin due to differential air pressure. It became significant as rifling rates increased RPM enormously. 150 years ago, a .45-70 with a bullet doing 1600fps in a 20"-twist was only making 57,600rpm. A modern bullet doing 3500fps in a 10"-twist is making 252,000rpm.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles