Lithgow smle H barrel?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lithgow smle H barrel?

Post by Gun-nut » 11 Aug 2021, 12:51 pm

Anyone have experience with the heavy barrelled lithgow smle? Am interested about the history, whether utilised purely for target shooting or saw service as well? Were these barrels aftermarket or produced by lithgow themselves? Also would be interested in knowing how much heavier they are compared to the standard barrel and whether the weight would be considerably noticeable or affect the balance of the rifle? Cheers in advance.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Lithgow smle H barrel?

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2021, 1:22 pm

Weight up front makes them trickier for offhand, but more consistent for prone and sitting. Shooters in my club swap to a No5 for offhand matches.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Aug 2021, 4:24 pm

G'day Gun-nut,
About 30.000 H barrels were made during the 1920's and 30's for rifle club use only, but late 30's the Defence Dept also aquired some barrels for use in DoD marksmens rifles The H barrel is 11oz (312g) heavier being larger in diameter from the Nocks form to the sight band. There were private made barrels such as Motty but these are not SMLE but made for the Rifle No1 Range Pattern, essentially a long Lee shortened to 25", a lot of these Range Pattern and H barrel rifles saw service during WW2 when owners were asked to donate rifles to help our war production including at least one with it's original Galilean sight, and all late war No1MkIII HT snipers had the heavy barrel, I really don't feel the weight affects me, it is not huge and can help prevent wind buffeting, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 11 Aug 2021, 7:03 pm

A lot of the H barrels were fitted in the 50s when the guys came back and joined the rifle clubs after purchasing their service rifles. There is not that much difference compared to modern target rifle barrels. Factory varmint barrels are much heavier esp at the muzzle end.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Gun-nut » 11 Aug 2021, 9:24 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Gun-nut,
About 30.000 H barrels were made during the 1920's and 30's for rifle club use only, but late 30's the Defence Dept also aquired some barrels for use in DoD marksmens rifles The H barrel is 11oz (312g) heavier being larger in diameter from the Nocks form to the sight band. There were private made barrels such as Motty but these are not SMLE but made for the Rifle No1 Range Pattern, essentially a long Lee shortened to 25", a lot of these Range Pattern and H barrel rifles saw service during WW2 when owners were asked to donate rifles to help our war production including at least one with it's original Galilean sight, and all late war No1MkIII HT snipers had the heavy barrel, I really don't feel the weight affects me, it is not huge and can help prevent wind buffeting, Cheers.

Thanks for the response, no1 mk3. I like to take my milsurps on hikes and hunts through the bush, and use them as intended. 312g doesn't seem like it'd make much of a difference at all.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles