Tikka T3x Roughtech DT load development

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka T3x Roughtech DT load development

Post by Diddums » 23 Aug 2021, 5:27 pm

HI,

I just picked up myself a new T3x in 300 win mag and was wondering if anyone else loads for the same or similar rifle. Hoping to save some powder, projectiles and time with testing.
I've loaded up a ladder test for both 180g Woodleigh's and 180g Nosler partitions using AR2213SC. I went out on the weekend but only got 16 shots off in an hour due to trying not to get the barrel too hot, so didnt get a great deal of testing done.

So my question is, does anyone have a good load with either the Woodleighs or Partitions that would put me in the ball park?
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Tikka T3x Roughtech DT load development

Post by JohnV » 27 Aug 2021, 11:28 am

I have loaded for 300 WM many years ago . If you are trying to conserve component's then don't do ladder tests they tend to waste components . Use three shot groups initially . It may not help to use other peoples loads they may or may not suit your gun .
Start at 69 grains of AR2213SC behind a 180 grain bullet and work up slowly . Accuracy is more important than velocity so finding an accurate load at safe working pressure that functions through the action easily is the way to go and case life will be better . Seat slightly clear of the lands and with respect to max magazine length and proper magazine bullet tip clearance for reliable functioning and the magazine length and bullet length usually limits your seating length anyway .
Makes sure your sizing die gives enough neck tension so no bullets move in the case neck under recoil within the magazine .
This powder was not even available when I loaded this cartridge .
Don't load up more than 3 sets of 3 rounds per load change , less would work also . 3 groups of 3 shots is all you need to see which load shoots best .
Recoil will be an important issue for getting consistent results to asses groups . So good grip of the gun and proper rest and bag setup is important to control recoil consistently . Don't try and shoot a 300 WM free recoil , it's not a 6mm PPC . Don't try and test loads on a windy day .
Accuracy is also a function of projectile quality and construction so if the Woodleighs are core bonded they will not shoot as tight as an unbonded , generally speaking . Nosler Partitions have a complicated jacket process and that can contribute to less accuracy compared to a simpler target style jacket . That does not mean don't use them it just means don't keep wasting ammo trying to make hunting bullets shoot like target bullets . There is a point where you can't do any better and then just stay with that best load .
Good stock bedding system is important for a cartridge with some recoil so if the accuracy is just real bad stop wasting ammo and investigate the bedding and recoil lug . If everything is in place then reassemble and tighten action screws firm .
Hunting bullets are generally not as tight shooting as bullets made for target shooting .
300 WM is a cartridge that has competition type dies available for it so think about modernising if you are still using expander ball type dies .
Also belted cases can sometimes suffer from an expanded section just above the belt which can hinder chambering . It's because some dies can't get down far enough to size it . If you strike this problem then there is a special collet die to fix that https://www.larrywillis.com/
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Aug 2021, 12:30 pm

How fast did you get the 180 grain bullets going in your ladder?
Did you notice any group of bullets where the speed did not increase markedly?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 27 Aug 2021, 1:13 pm

Hi
I agree with JohnV.
I use 2213sc with 180gr pills. I only care about minute of deer accuracy.
I use Hornady interlock. But the pills you have chosen are good projectiles also.
Attachments
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg (23.18 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 28 Aug 2021, 9:56 pm

Wow, JohnV - take it you’ve been down this rabbit hole before. Respect :drinks:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diddums » 31 Aug 2021, 2:08 pm

Thanks for the reply JohnV.

I only do testing for accuracy with all my loads, i don't worry about +/-100fps.

I have been loading about 6-7 different loads of each projectile but i noticed the primer flattening on the first couple of lowest loads.
On the 2nd charge of 68.5gn the first 2 shots we hole in hole but the 3rd was about 1.5in higher. Not sure if i pulled it or it was because the barrel was pretty hot nut I'm going to load up some more around that mark and try again when possible.
Been a Tikka I am severely limited by mag length but the 10 rounds that i loaded up as sighers were still shooting under 2in anyway.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 31 Aug 2021, 7:55 pm

You should be able to get 3,000 fps or close to, out of your 180 grain pills. I am guessing that using 68.5 grains of short cut has you a long way off that. I am not sure why you are flattening your primers at those low pressures. If it was me I would push on until things got a lot hotter and I was around 3,000 fps.

Up to you though, if you are comfortable around 2,700 fps, I am sure you can find a load that shoots acceptable well.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diddums » 01 Sep 2021, 11:18 am

Flat primers don't worry me, i just know that it can be an early pressure sign. I run a max load in my 22-250 and have pancake flat primers but nothing other than that like hard bolt release.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles