service rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

service rifle

Post by northdude » 01 Sep 2021, 7:27 am

Any of you guys do service rifle shooting. I have been doing it for a few years now and seem to have picked it up quite easily. Im using a swede m38...also got a no3 and a no4 but the swede is streets ahead of the other 2
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Re: service rifle

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2021, 12:03 pm

Yes mate. I shoot it weekly out of ANZAC, Sydney (when we aren't in these damned lockdowns). SR, then TR on the fullbore/longs range is my bread-and-butter. I don't have a Swede, but they are a solid competitor - known for their accuracy. A few master Graders use them, and swear by them. Conveniently we are allowed rear peep sights in our club, like the classic Central. m1907 slings are also allowed, and SR jackets with <= 10mm padding, like a USMC jacket. These three things go a long way toward shooting possibles.

I am currently competing with a m1895-308w Mauser carbine for the 100m standing matches, then a No4-223 conversion for 200m sitting and 300m prone. My No4-223 gets a run on the fullbore range sometimes, for fun. It's a true sub-moa rifle and can bring home a 50+ easily in an 300m application match, if I'm doing my part and reading the wind correctly. It can go close to a possible at 500m, but requires insane concentration at 5/600m.

Are you as-issued only at your club? Or are the rules a little more liberal?
Last edited by in2anity on 01 Sep 2021, 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 01 Sep 2021, 12:10 pm

we are as issued and only have a max of 200m at our club we are allowed to use sporting ammo at club events. we used to have a class for ar type rifles when we were allowed to have them up until recently never used mine for that I just like the simplicity of bolt action and iron sights.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2021, 12:26 pm

Yeah the club I shoot with, used to have a huge AR class, before the Howard gun laws. They regularly would have 250 competitors each Saturday, back then. Now we are smaller, but still at times we see 100+ competitors on a Saturday.

As-issued sights make it trickier. I do love a peep. How does your club account for native peeps vs volley sights? Say a No4 sight vs an SMLE?

200m makes it a little more forgiving. I found 300m prone is where inherent inaccuracy really starts to show. Lots of calibers/rifles shoot 200m well enough, but are sub-par at 300m.
Last edited by in2anity on 03 Sep 2021, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 01 Sep 2021, 12:51 pm

since the ar days there's only a handful of us that shoot basr (bolt action service rifle) we are pretty casual just no scopes. Our club is the nzda (new zealand deerstalkers association) probably the biggest club in nz at a guess. I've never actually seen anyone using volley sights. Us swede mauser guys wouldn't be to worried about an enfield shooter using peeps It would actually make the competition a bit closer :silent:
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 01 Sep 2021, 1:32 pm

northdude wrote:since the ar days there's only a handful of us that shoot basr (bolt action service rifle) we are pretty casual just no scopes. Our club is the nzda (new zealand deerstalkers association) probably the biggest club in nz at a guess. I've never actually seen anyone using volley sights. Us swede mauser guys wouldn't be to worried about an enfield shooter using peeps It would actually make the competition a bit closer :silent:

I think he is referring to the standard ramp sight as a volley sight? I can't imagine anybody trying to hit anything with volley sights.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 01 Sep 2021, 1:42 pm

probably why ive never seen them used. Like i said its just casual shooting with a handful of like minded people so as long as its not scoped every thing is cool mind you we probably wouldn't mind if someone turned up with a genuine sniper rifle. Its all just fun there's no prizes until the end of the year I just look at it as the only one I'm competing with is myself
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2021, 1:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
northdude wrote:since the ar days there's only a handful of us that shoot basr (bolt action service rifle) we are pretty casual just no scopes. Our club is the nzda (new zealand deerstalkers association) probably the biggest club in nz at a guess. I've never actually seen anyone using volley sights. Us swede mauser guys wouldn't be to worried about an enfield shooter using peeps It would actually make the competition a bit closer :silent:

I think he is referring to the standard ramp sight as a volley sight? I can't imagine anybody trying to hit anything with volley sights.

Yes Blade is correct - perhaps incorrect terminology on my behalf. I was just referring to any/all "dovetail style" service sights.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2021, 2:04 pm

A dovetail vs aperture is chalk and cheese. Put it this way I've never seen anyone clean the target with a dovetail; the 5 ring is ony 3moa at 300m.
Occasionally our very best do it with a Central (or similar) and if you shoot a perfect 300m score, i.e. 100.* +, I think you might get your name on a shield or something - it happens that rarely. Could be wrong about the shield… point is, it sure ain’t easy.

For our prone matches, a score in the 80s with an as-issued dovetail sight is very good. The dovetail sights are easier for the 100m offhand matches, however.

My pb to date is 98.04/100.10 possible. It was an application then a rapid, from memory. https://youtu.be/F5gendnVSHQ Match formats change every week for us.

In that video, that's the vapor trail from the little 5.56mm aka 223 - it's much less noticable than the bigger 30 calibers which sure leave a bigger "wake" through the air :lol: easier to spot a 30cal
Last edited by in2anity on 04 Sep 2021, 9:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 01 Sep 2021, 2:15 pm

northdude wrote:probably why ive never seen them used. Like i said its just casual shooting with a handful of like minded people so as long as its not scoped every thing is cool mind you we probably wouldn't mind if someone turned up with a genuine sniper rifle. Its all just fun there's no prizes until the end of the year I just look at it as the only one I'm competing with is myself

We also have novel Telescopic days, once every two months, out to 400m. That's broken into "Classic", "Classic-Modified", "Sporter" and "State of the Art" sub-classes."Classic" has to be an as-issued b/a sniper rifle, maximum 4 power scope. So basically WW2 and earlier "sniper" rifles with original scope. You should see the stuff people bring out, it's just amazing - there's some serious collectors here in Sydney. :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 01 Sep 2021, 2:51 pm

G'day northdude,
I shoot SSAA Combined Services with the Military Rifle Club here in Victoria, we shoot a standard 3 position. 3 range comp 1st Sunday every month for "as issued" rifles comprising 5 prone at 300, 5 prone, 5 sitting at 200, 5 prone, 5 sitting and 5 standing at 100, all unsupported (no rests, just off the elbows) with time limits. As well as that we have a 10 shot speciality, either a rapid, snap or falling plate for specific rifles/carbines such as Swedish, Swiss, Jap, Martini, WW2 era, WW1 era etc. We also have Sniper Long Range (500, sometimes 1000) for CSD F1 pre-47 as issued or fair copy, CSD F2 post-47 as issued or fair copy and Tactcal/Development rifles which are basically any scoped rifle in an approved Military caliber. On 2nd Sundays we shoot Training rifle 3P for officially issued 22RF Trainers with a division for 310 Cadet. I use a Swiss K31 for main comps and my wife uses a Swede M38, I have a genuine Swede m/41 Sniper for F1 and an M82 for F2, the Mrs uses a Mosin PU (she's a Dally!) for F1 and an M82 with a replacement Shultz & Larsen heavy barrel. For Trainer I have an NZ issued No8 and a 310 Cadet the Mrs uses a Canadian Cooey and a Cadet. My current T/D is a Ruger 77 VT in 25-06 (a US Army trialled caliber, so it's on the approved list) and the Mrs a Ruger 77 VT in 243,. I used to shoot at Clevedon sometimes when I lived at Maraetai, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 01 Sep 2021, 2:54 pm

those ww2 and earlier sniper rifles are a thing of beauty thought Id found myself a genuine swede sniper a little while ago but found out it wasnt a genuine one but was made up of all the proper bits I kind of kick myself for not buying it to this day. Ive got a nice m38 and no 3,4 and a 5 as well
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by in2anity » 02 Sep 2021, 11:03 am

northdude wrote:those ww2 and earlier sniper rifles are a thing of beauty thought Id found myself a genuine swede sniper a little while ago but found out it wasnt a genuine one but was made up of all the proper bits I kind of kick myself for not buying it to this day. Ive got a nice m38 and no 3,4 and a 5 as well

Yeah they are. But getting very expensive. And if the stocking-up has deteriorated they won't shoot better than your average service rifle though.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 02 Sep 2021, 3:22 pm

Tried service rifle a couple of times, a while back and liked it. Old 303 If I can remember. The local range had matches going for a while and I think they still do. Even just watching is great, in my books. Gotta love those old rifles.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 02 Sep 2021, 4:34 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day northdude,
I shoot SSAA Combined Services with the Military Rifle Club here in Victoria, we shoot a standard 3 position. 3 range comp 1st Sunday every month for "as issued" rifles comprising 5 prone at 300, 5 prone, 5 sitting at 200, 5 prone, 5 sitting and 5 standing at 100, all unsupported (no rests, just off the elbows) with time limits. As well as that we have a 10 shot speciality, either a rapid, snap or falling plate for specific rifles/carbines such as Swedish, Swiss, Jap, Martini, WW2 era, WW1 era etc. We also have Sniper Long Range (500, sometimes 1000) for CSD F1 pre-47 as issued or fair copy, CSD F2 post-47 as issued or fair copy and Tactcal/Development rifles which are basically any scoped rifle in an approved Military caliber. On 2nd Sundays we shoot Training rifle 3P for officially issued 22RF Trainers with a division for 310 Cadet. I use a Swiss K31 for main comps and my wife uses a Swede M38, I have a genuine Swede m/41 Sniper for F1 and an M82 for F2, the Mrs uses a Mosin PU (she's a Dally!) for F1 and an M82 with a replacement Shultz & Larsen heavy barrel. For Trainer I have an NZ issued No8 and a 310 Cadet the Mrs uses a Canadian Cooey and a Cadet. My current T/D is a Ruger 77 VT in 25-06 (a US Army trialled caliber, so it's on the approved list) and the Mrs a Ruger 77 VT in 243,. I used to shoot at Clevedon sometimes when I lived at Maraetai, Cheers

wow youve got a cool little collection going on there
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by in2anity » 02 Sep 2021, 8:42 pm

You boys gotta see this from just before this lockdown:

boom.jpeg
8mm carbine
boom.jpeg (91.58 KiB) Viewed 2435 times

He's a glutton for punishment :lol: I could watch people do this ALL day.

Now hurry up and open the gates. Over it.
Last edited by in2anity on 03 Sep 2021, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 02 Sep 2021, 9:19 pm

Yup. Over it here too.

Got my eye on a clean-barreled No3 at the local shop. Stock has been refinished in the past with a light, clear type laquer but thats easily fixed. I'll add it to the Cadet and 30-30 chambered, 17" barrelled 303 I have haha.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles