Howa Carbon Fibre Factory Barreled Action

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa Carbon Fibre Factory Barreled Action

Post by John.S » 01 Sep 2021, 7:24 pm

Hi All,
Have noticed there is now a factory carbon fibre Howa available in .308 and .6.5CM just wondering if anyone out there owns and/or has shot one? Would tick alot of my list off in terms of a mid to long range hunter if it shoots.

Thanks,

John.
John.S
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Re: Howa Carbon Fibre Factory Barreled Action

Post by solarpak » 15 Sep 2021, 9:23 pm

Hi John,
I have seen the Howa rifles on the Legacy Sports (USA) that have the carbon fibre sleeved barrels - basically a varmint profile barrel that weighs the same as a sporter contour barrel . I dont know if the Australian distributor OSA will be bringing these into Oz - may have to ask my contacts on this.

However OSA are stocking carbon fibre stocks for the Howa rifles - all short, long and mini action models and i have had a chance to look at one and use it on my normal 6.5CM. Great stock, well made and weighs around 600 grams - the closest to this in the howa stocks is the walnut stocks that weigh around 820 grams. Expensive at around $700 - so a always depends on how much of a howa fan you are and deem the extra spend on a stock worthwhile?

Cheers
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bill » 25 Sep 2021, 10:08 am

Hey Solarpak I dont think $700 is expensive when you consider what other charge for Carbon fibre stocks. WHen you say you used one with your CM ? whats your barrel profile ?

I will be buying one to run on my How Mini 6mm ARC but Ill probably wait til after Xmas as I cant go shooting right now.

4lb 10oz for a Sporter Howa Mini in 223/7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel makes it a hell of a lot cheaper than many custom light weight offerings, even a McTikka SL 223 weighs 6.2lbs. :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 25 Sep 2021, 4:40 pm

Hi Bill,
i agree that the carbon fibre stock at around $700 isn't expensive - if you need to reduce weight. My howa 6.5cm is a sporter configuration ( which usually sits in a McMillan McSwirley stock)
These carbon fibre stocks take the howa M1500 barrelled actions into the Tikka T3x weight realm - sub 3 kgs that is with a standard sporter barrel.
I am currently putting together a Howa sporter in .223 and just need to get the exact weight of the barrelled action (when i pick it up next week) and decide if i go for a walnut stock or the carbon fibre - i know the walnut stocks are around 850 grams (+/- 30 grams) and the carbon fibre stock is ~600 grams.

Walnut stock can be had for ~ $300, and the carbon fibre around $700

Cheers
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2021, 5:43 pm

solarpak wrote:Hi John,
I have seen the Howa rifles on the Legacy Sports (USA) that have the carbon fibre sleeved barrels - basically a varmint profile barrel that weighs the same as a sporter contour barrel . I dont know if the Australian distributor OSA will be bringing these into Oz - may have to ask my contacts on this.

However OSA are stocking carbon fibre stocks for the Howa rifles - all short, long and mini action models and i have had a chance to look at one and use it on my normal 6.5CM. Great stock, well made and weighs around 600 grams - the closest to this in the howa stocks is the walnut stocks that weigh around 820 grams. Expensive at around $700 - so a always depends on how much of a howa fan you are and deem the extra spend on a stock worthwhile?

Cheers
C.

Surely the OEM Howa poly stock is lighter than 600gms?
My Ruger Predator stocks are right on 650gm, with sling swivels, the two steel V-blocks, and the 20mm-thick rubber butt pad.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 26 Sep 2021, 7:11 am

They had one of these rifles in at the shop in Shepparton. I'm not a Howa fan by any means, but it looks like a nice but if kit!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 26 Sep 2021, 4:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:
solarpak wrote:Hi John,

Cheers
C.

Surely the OEM Howa poly stock is lighter than 600gms?
My Ruger Predator stocks are right on 650gm, with sling swivels, the two steel V-blocks, and the 20mm-thick rubber butt pad.

Blade,
if i could find one of the early plastic howa stocks i would snap it up - i am familiar with that you are referring to . These were available before OSA started to fit the Hogue stocks as the standard unit.
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles