Howa 1500 bolt closing issue

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa 1500 bolt closing issue

Post by Tubs » 03 Sep 2021, 2:16 am

Hi All,

i just bought a pre-loved 308 Howa 1500 - looks ok condition....

I worked the bolt a few times and it was smooth. Dry fired it a few times and now when I work the bolt again it gets very very tight as the end of the bolt/firing pin enters and exits the chamber (see stuck photo). This is all without a round in the chamber.

Is this simply the result of not firing a live round or is there something else amiss?

PS: Anyone have a stab at what model of 1500 this is? It weighs 3kg appears to have a pencil barrel?

Thanks
Attachments
rifle.jpg
Rifle
rifle.jpg (351.76 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
stuck.jpg
Stuck!
stuck.jpg (654.05 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
unnamed (1).jpg
Bolt
unnamed (1).jpg (220.69 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
lugs pin.jpg
Bolt / lugs
lugs pin.jpg (218.18 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Howa 1500 bolt closing issue

Post by deye243 » 03 Sep 2021, 2:36 am

Try backing out the front action screw and work the bolt
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 03 Sep 2021, 2:49 am

deye243 wrote:Try backing out the front action screw and work the bolt

I loosened the screw behind the trigger and problem fixed!

Much appreciated...
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Sep 2021, 8:33 am

Then grind about 0.5mm off the end of the screw now. Or is there a washer missing?

Like I said, there might be one missing. Other owners may know.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 03 Sep 2021, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 03 Sep 2021, 9:26 am

Oldbloke wrote:Then grind about 0.5mm off the end of the screw now. Or is there a washer missing?

No washer, gun didnt come with anything except 2 bolts, stock and action
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 03 Sep 2021, 11:36 am

Clean everything to remove all gunk like grease, oil and dirt. Give it a very light lube with gun oil and cycle. Look for any marks and work from there.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 03 Sep 2021, 2:33 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Then grind about 0.5mm off the end of the screw now. Or is there a washer missing?

How big are the washers meant to be?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 03 Sep 2021, 4:28 pm

Tubs wrote:

How big are the washers meant to be?

Not sure there are any washers. Being a while since I’ve had a Howa out of the stock. Think trigger guard (plastics style) just has metal inserts in plastic. Your pic of floor plate not that clear? Metal floor plate/trigger guard??
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by moudzj » 03 Sep 2021, 6:38 pm

No washer on the action screws, I think it was probably over-tightened. Get a torque wrench, or, for these screws, just tighten until snug and then about 1/8th of a turn
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by pilotsignal » 04 Sep 2021, 12:08 am

How you managed to get a rifle, mate? Bloody lockdown can't get to any gun shops :-(
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 04 Sep 2021, 1:09 am

pilotsignal wrote:How you managed to get a rifle, mate? Bloody lockdown can't get to any gun shops :-(

My dealer is a few km up the road, I'm not in a LGA of concern and my PTA's were dwindling..... Most dealers still do click and collect, but it is a very tedious process that makes you feel like a leper :wtf:

Also, huge delays on shipping
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pilotsignal » 04 Sep 2021, 11:11 am

Tubs wrote:
pilotsignal wrote:How you managed to get a rifle, mate? Bloody lockdown can't get to any gun shops :-(

My dealer is a few km up the road, I'm not in a LGA of concern and my PTA's were dwindling..... Most dealers still do click and collect, but it is a very tedious process that makes you feel like a leper :wtf:

My PTA is still valid, but I'd like to "hold&fell a rifle" first before buy, so click and collect is not an option for me and that drives me crazy :D
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 04 Sep 2021, 11:27 am

pilotsignal wrote:
Tubs wrote:

My PTA is still valid, but I'd like to "hold&fell a rifle" first before buy, so click and collect is not an option for me and that drives me crazy :D

They wont let u in the shop so you have to take a punt. This is all part of the fun - buying different ones and seeing which you like the most. Selling those that dont fit the bill.

Second hand definately does save money. In the main all i have purchased have been in a great condition.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pilotsignal » 04 Sep 2021, 4:02 pm

Well, This won't work in my case. My budget won't allow me to experiment with various rifles, just get one and only I want.
Besides, I am a louse salesman. People say I can't sell water in the desert, will be cheated every time :-)
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Sep 2021, 7:23 pm

Definitely "used" and quite a few rounds maybe,,, judging by some of those pics.
I've got four HOWAS,,, and never had an issue with bolt tightness as you described it before finding what the problem was.
Except only just the other night,, but that was an individual factory round,,,, and nothing to do with the rifle/chamber or bolt.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 08 Sep 2021, 7:46 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Definitely "used" and quite a few rounds maybe,,, judging by some of those pics.
I've got four HOWAS,,, and never had an issue with bolt tightness as you described it before finding what the problem was.
Except only just the other night,, but that was an individual factory round,,,, and nothing to do with the rifle/chamber or bolt.

Hey, can you do me a favour and overtighten your front screw and see if u get the same issue?

The gun doesnt look like it has a high round count, not for a 308 anyway.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 08 Sep 2021, 8:16 pm

Not a good idea if it is a timber stock
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Sep 2021, 8:17 pm

Tubs wrote:
Hey, can you do me a favour and overtighten your front screw and see if u get the same issue?

The gun doesnt look like it has a high round count, not for a 308 anyway.

I have glass bedded and free floated all of mine, and the screws are all done to the same tension with a tension wrench.
Namely 55 in/lbs

I'm not keen on upsetting the balance of what I get out of them though.

As a rule, I always slip down the paddock for a test shot just before heading out to the various properties I shoot.
To do so, I use one of those paper sachet hand warmers, folded to approx 1" square,, and held in place on a cardboard box with a 1/4" cable tie.
The last few times, I've managed to cut the cable tie with the projectile at 150 meters.

So stick with your HOWA,,,,,, I love mine.
I sold an as new Tikka T3 X and purchased my last HOWA, and had plenty $$$ left over.

Sometimes camera pics of what is perfectly good to the naked eye,,, come up looking awfully rough in the pics tho.
:friends: :drinks:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Barrettmr » 24 Oct 2021, 4:46 pm

Looks like an ultralite, I have one not the most accurate rifle. The best I did was 1" but generally 1/1/2" at 100m.
By the look of the bolt I recon on about 100 rounds shot, I have shot around 400 and the underside of the bolt is almost silver from the bluing waring off.
Very unpleasant to shoot from bench, but recoil now where near as bad when shooting in the field.
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 24 Oct 2021, 4:55 pm

Barrettmr wrote:Looks like an ultralite, I have one not the most accurate rifle. The best I did was 1" but generally 1/1/2" at 100m.
By the look of the bolt I recon on about 100 rounds shot, I have shot around 400 and the underside of the bolt is almost silver from the bluing waring off.
Very unpleasant to shoot from bench, but recoil now where near as bad when shooting in the field.

Thanks, its heavier than a T3X by about 300g i think. I might stick with some 130 grain pills to take the edge off....cheers
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 12 Nov 2021, 11:01 pm

Barrettmr wrote:Looks like an ultralite, I have one not the most accurate rifle. The best I did was 1" but generally 1/1/2" at 100m.

Shot it today and was delighted, compared with my 7mm08 Tikka Stainless the Howa was a tack driver shooting sub MOA groups. I was shooting 130 grain pills which kept the recoil down a bit. Delighted with it. My only criticism is safety - it is harder to see if there is a bullet in the chamber because of the depth of the bullet/barrel in the breach.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Barrettmr » 15 Nov 2021, 3:34 pm

Shot it today and was delighted, compared with my 7mm08 Tikka Stainless the Howa was a tack driver shooting sub MOA groups. I was shooting 130 grain pills which kept the recoil down a bit. Delighted with it. My only criticism is safety - it is harder to see if there is a bullet in the chamber because of the depth of the bullet/barrel in the breach.[/quote]

Interesting, I have some 125gr sierra soft points, I haven't used anything but 150's in mine, I might load some up and give them a try.
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Nov 2021, 8:49 pm

Tubs wrote:Very unpleasant to shoot from bench, but recoil now where near as bad when shooting in the field.

Shot it today and was delighted, compared with my 7mm08 Tikka Stainless the Howa was a tack driver shooting sub MOA groups. I was shooting 130 grain pills which kept the recoil down a bit. Delighted with it. My only criticism is safety - it is harder to see if there is a bullet in the chamber because of the depth of the bullet/barrel in the breach.[/quote]

I have two Howa 1500's in .308 (different twist rates)

One I use only with 180gr ammo

The other, I only use 150gr ammo (i've never used anything lighter)

Either one,, I find no difference in perceived recoil, regardless of standing, off hand, or shooting off a bench.
Considering the majority of the time is actually over the bench, I just don't get how "Very unpleasant" comes into it.
It's only a .308
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 15 Nov 2021, 9:15 pm

Try 70-80% case fill of AR2206H under your favorite pill.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 15 Nov 2021, 9:25 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Tubs wrote:Very unpleasant to shoot from bench, but recoil now where near as bad when shooting in the field.

Shot it today and was delighted, compared with my 7mm08 Tikka Stainless the Howa was a tack driver shooting sub MOA groups. I was shooting 130 grain pills which kept the recoil down a bit. Delighted with it. My only criticism is safety - it is harder to see if there is a bullet in the chamber because of the depth of the bullet/barrel in the breach.

I have two Howa 1500's in .308 (different twist rates)

One I use only with 180gr ammo

The other, I only use 150gr ammo (i've never used anything lighter)

Either one,, I find no difference in perceived recoil, regardless of standing, off hand, or shooting off a bench.
Considering the majority of the time is actually over the bench, I just don't get how "Very unpleasant" comes into it.
It's only a .308[/quote]

That wasnt my quote matey, but regardless I can kind of relate to what that person was saying about the recoil of an ultralight rifle, even in 308. Funnily enough I find the recoil in my Tikka Lite 7mm08 with a 139 grain much punchier than a 175 grain SMK out of my 308 Tikka. Go figure.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles