What do you use your 300 Blackout for ?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: What do you use your 300 Blackout for ?

Post by wanneroo » 10 Sep 2021, 11:47 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate I use mine for chasing pigs off the back of a vehicle or bike, so generally close range hunting <100m. In saying that I have dropped pigs at longer ranges.
I reload with 125gn SST or 130gn HP which do the job nicely, very cheap to reload. Brass cheap or can be made from 222 or 223 cases.
I do agree with some of the above re the cartridge being suited to a suppressed AR platform or similar.

I've loaded the 125g SST and they seem to work pretty good.

Just got some Speer 130g hollow points on sale this past summer and will be trying those out.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 11 Sep 2021, 1:50 am

Gamerancher wrote:It's a good go to if you've got a rifle with a .222 / .223 bolt face and are looking to put a bit more weight behind the punch. New barrel and you're in business.

The .300 Whisper was the original design based on .221 Fireball case. AAC standardised it and submitted it to SAAMI as the .300 Blackout.
The original concept was to fire very heavy for calibre, ballistically efficient bullets at subsonic velocities in suppressed rifles. It was found to be extremely accurate out to 200 yards in that application with good retained energy as well. No other sub-sonic round can match it in that regard.
It found it's way into pistol silhouette and has been very popular in that sport as 200m is the furthest target and 200+ grain bullets have no trouble knocking down the rams and reduced recoil when compared to pistols chambered in .30-30.

I have a .300 Whisper barrel for my L461 Sako that also has a .221 Fireball barrel. While I have played around with the .300 with both cast and jacketed bullets for both hunting and some target work, it hasn't really done much for me. ( Maybe I'm spoiled for choice with other options at hand :unknown: )
The rifle sports the .221 barrel mostly as a culling rifle around the farm, accurate, 50gr bullets for head shots, light recoil and low noise, suits me.

While you can make .300 Blackout cases from .223 brass, it was designed on the .221 Fireball case and is much easier to do by just necking those up.
With correct head-stamped and dimensioned brass available off the shelf, why bother?

I've shot a mates .300 Apache ( .300/.223, whatever you want to label it ), at 500m rifle silhouette rams in the U.S, it worked, was pleasant to shoot and accurate. He claimed his father came up with the concept and name, ( who was I to argue ), would I build one,...No.

I thought the blackout was slightly different to the whisper ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 11 Sep 2021, 5:22 am

wanneroo wrote:
JimTom wrote:Just because I had a heap of old 222 brass.

How does your converted brass hold up?

G’day mate, I have fired the brass several times now with absolutely no signs of stress etc. Holding up very well. I will say however, that 223 is much easier to convert than 222 brass. There is an old thread on here somewhere where I talked about the process.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 11 Sep 2021, 7:13 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
Shootermick wrote:Isn’t it like a modern day replacement for the 30/30?

Nah mate. That would be a 308 I would say, seeing how old the 30/30 is. Whilst the 300 blackout is 308 in diameter it is nothing like it. It was designed to be used like an mp5 9mm(very close range) but with more stopping power whilst not over penetrating walls.

It is the round that killed Osama Bin Laden.

Where did you read that?
223 from a H&K.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 11 Sep 2021, 10:27 am

The primer pockets go first on the blk.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles