W Marden Gunmaker

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

W Marden Gunmaker

Post by doggy » 23 Sep 2021, 6:35 pm

Does anyone have any information on this maker, I have one of his rifles on an FN 98 action, like new . Thanks
doggy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: W Marden Gunmaker

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Sep 2021, 12:07 am

G'day doggy,
Eric Marden was a well regarded shooter and rifle builder who started his own engineering business making the "Simplex" line of reloading equipment in NSW in 1958. On his passing his son Bill Marden took over the business, diversified into general engineering to survive and continues to make Simplex reloading presses and dies today. Along with that he has built a reputation for making very good quality hunting rifles in many calibers. If you have any questions regarding your rifle then contact him via the Simplex website, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 24 Sep 2021, 8:09 am

My first encounter with Bill Marden snr was in the mid 70’s when I bought my first centerfire, a 444 Marlin, through his shop.
He was located at 885 Punchbowl road Punchbowl on a large block which was not too far from where I lived at that time. His retail shop was in an old looking structure well behind what I presume was his residence. The shop was reached by walking down the side of the house and crossing a little bridge over a creek. There were additional structures to the rear of the retail shop but I never ventured there. The shop as I recall was fairly Spartan but I distinctly recall a number of red/white laminated benchrest stocks on display. I was vaguely aware that he built benchrest rifles with sleeved Remington actions but that was of little interest to me. I went on to buy a Simplex O frame press, dies and occasionally consumables and other bits and pieces.
I don’t know when he passed away but my lasting memory of him is of how irritated he would become with nuisance telephone calls while customers were waiting in the shop.
Years later in the late 80’s I decided life wouldn’t be complete without a custom 25/06 built on a Mauser 98 action so I procured a Turkish mauser (not the best choice) and handed it to Bill Marden jr who was operating in a factory in the Peakhurst industrial area. A few years later I did much the same but this time in 8x68s. In both cases the workmanship and finish were excellent. However Bill Marden jr did not do any stock work. Both rifles have the stamping pictured in another thread over the barrel chamber reinforce. It was little publicised but Bill Marden jr would make custom dies to order, provided you were prepared to wait, for very competitive prices compared to US imports. I have a set of forming dies made by him.
Presumably due to financial issues Bill Marden jr shut down and restarted a number of times in new premises, two of which I am aware of because I bought things there. He retired a couple of years ago and the Simplex operation is now run by his daughter out of premises in Condell Park.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by doggy » 24 Sep 2021, 1:38 pm

Thanks for that information. This rifle does not show any signs of usage. the stock is oiled finished, with fancy skip line checkering with leaf style carvings . There are a few storage / handling marks, the blue is 100%. these things don't come up very often. I will not use it , but keep it for posterity, thanks ,doggy
doggy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bill » 25 Sep 2021, 10:40 am

Hey straightshooter Bill was still working last year, made me some custom dies, spends most of his time fabricating stuff for other industries now. :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 26 Sep 2021, 8:38 am

Bill
I didn't want to complicate the narrative but Bill Marden's retirement job is running a scuba diving school that happens to be located within the same complex as the Simplex facility. It's not inconceivable that he might be called on for something out of the ordinary.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 26 Sep 2021, 1:47 pm

:thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles