New Ruger-built Marlins coming in December

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: New Ruger-built Marlins coming in December

Post by Nails » 11 Jan 2022, 7:54 pm

I've been wanting a 45/70 for a while and this is the first test drive video I've seen - 3 days ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvcI2r6Zw_I
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2022, 12:32 pm

Got this the other day in my email.
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895sbl/

"Features
Receiver, lever and trigger guard plate are CNC machined from 416 stainless steel forgings.
Barrel is made of 410 stainless steel and is cold hammer-forged which results in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy and longevity.
Threaded barrel, with factory-installed thread protector, has a 11/16" x 24 pattern to accommodate a muzzle brake or other barrel accessories.
Updated Picatinny rail provides a stable mounting surface for scope rings and a variety of modern optics.
Ghost ring rear sight is adjustable for windage/elevation and tritium fiber optic, high visibility day/night front sight allows for quicker target acquisition in low light.
Six-round, tubular magazine with a loading gate located on the receiver.
Soft-rubber buttpad effectively absorbs recoil.
Positive, push-button, cross bolt manual safety and traditional half-cock hammer.
Reliably feeds a wide range of .45-70 Govt factory ammunition and bullet types.
Durable, laminate buttstock and forend remain dimensionally stable in varying weather conditions.
Sharp checkering provides an excellent grip in all weather conditions.
Spiral-fluted, nickel-plated bolt aids smooth cycling.
Oversized lever loop provides clearance for operation with heavy gloves.
Slimmed-down forend for an attractive look and comfortable feel.
Also includes: Sling swivel studs, offset hammer spur."
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by geoff » 19 Jan 2022, 2:38 pm

I am absolutely frothing over these new Marlins. Some of the footage of them on youtube looks great

Like a lot of people, I am awaiting the re-release of the 336 or similar 30-30 cal and getting ready to walk straight into my dealer to be put on the waiting list
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Nails » 02 May 2022, 7:17 pm

These can’t be too far away now, I saw them on Nioa’s website about a month ago and called, they said they had 200 on order. I put a deposit on one. I hope they come before my PTA expires, but can always get another I guess.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 02 May 2022, 7:22 pm

Given how popular the 1895sbl has been state side, I wouldn't expect to see one until late next year.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 08 May 2022, 8:15 pm

Very interested to see how they go. I kind of wished I had not purchased my Remlin now amd just waited the few years for the new ones.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 May 2022, 8:23 pm

My remlin 4570 is finished beautiful...probably the nicest thing in my safe ... maybe I’m lucky and got a good one
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 09 May 2022, 6:47 am

Yes mate no doubt there are a few good ones out there. Mi e looks a great and shoots well, it was just that issue I had with the mounting screws being drilled incorrectly on the receiver. Anyways I use it open sights now so it’s all good.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Nails » 07 Sep 2022, 2:59 pm

I have an SBL on back order, importer told me yesterday they should have some arriving end of October unless something changes.
Then it depends which gunshop gets what and when.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Nails » 05 Nov 2022, 6:17 pm

Picked up my new 1895SBL about two weeks ago, the same dau my PTA expired, but I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet due to a shoulder injury.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Nov 2022, 6:46 pm

Ppu factory ammo is mild I have heard but probably not good idea to test that shoulder too soon .... and of course handloading u can make a 4570 very pleasant to shoot. It’s great when pta and gun arrival just works fine at the last minute. Quite a relief
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 06 Nov 2022, 3:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:My Marlin 1894 shoots very well with jacketed bullets, but getting cast bullets to work was a long and painful exercise.

Mate I am going through this at present. The cast projectiles shoot quite well however getting them to cycle is turning out to be somewhat painful.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Nov 2022, 6:18 pm

JimTom wrote:
bladeracer wrote:My Marlin 1894 shoots very well with jacketed bullets, but getting cast bullets to work was a long and painful exercise.

Mate I am going through this at present. The cast projectiles shoot quite well however getting them to cycle is turning out to be somewhat painful.

Mine generally cycles just fine, but it's not a controlled feed action so occasionally a round can fall off the lifter and jam it up.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 06 Nov 2022, 7:59 pm

I can’t seem to get mine to lift up at all. I ge really have to poke something in the move the case to get the lifter to do it’s job. They extract and eject fine, they just won’t feed. Using a cast lead semi wadcutter.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 07 Nov 2022, 9:51 am

Over the years I have used Lee 200gn round nose flat point with no issues whatsoever. The 310gn RNFP have sometimes had issues.
Things to watch are to make sure you are under max overall length and the crimp is even and nicely into the crimping groove.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Nov 2022, 11:50 am

JimTom wrote:I can’t seem to get mine to lift up at all. I ge really have to poke something in the move the case to get the lifter to do it’s job. They extract and eject fine, they just won’t feed. Using a cast lead semi wadcutter.

Does it do this with other ammo or only with this bullet?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 07 Nov 2022, 12:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JimTom wrote:I can’t seem to get mine to lift up at all. I ge really have to poke something in the move the case to get the lifter to do it’s job. They extract and eject fine, they just won’t feed. Using a cast lead semi wadcutter.

Does it do this with other ammo or only with this bullet?

Only with this particular cast projectile mate. I have used another rounder nosed cast bullet and it’s fine however they shoot rubbish. Jacketed projectiles no probs either.
They are just under max COAL, was wondering if trimming cases back a few more thou’ would help. Have also considered using 38sp cases and loads.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Nails » 29 Mar 2023, 12:45 am

?? 38sp in 45-70? Or are the 357s around already? I need one of those too
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Nails » 29 Mar 2023, 1:22 am

?? 38sp in 45-70? Or are the 357s around already? I need one of those too
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Billo » 29 Mar 2023, 7:57 am

Marlin 336 Classis in 30-30 finally looks the goods, Id imagine if these are as good as the review say then used prices of the older models will definitely take a hit

A mate of mine was offered $2.5K for his older mint 30-30. On a good day its only worth $1500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Bld1Y07Ak
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Nails » 29 Mar 2023, 7:49 pm

Thanks for the link, the gun looks really good, if timing is similar to the 1895, probably won’t get them here till late this year or early next.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Billo » 29 Mar 2023, 9:03 pm

Yeah Nails they are even listed on the NIOA portal yet, a few Stainless 45/70s have come in and gone out :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles