New Ruger-built Marlins coming in December

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New Ruger-built Marlins coming in December

Post by bladeracer » 07 Oct 2021, 1:34 pm

https://1895gunner.com/news/10-06-21.html

"OCTOBER 06, 2021
Ruger Announces Their First Marlin Rifle Release
__
MAYODAN, NC., Oct. 06, 2021.
Christopher J. Killoy, Ruger CEO, said the first Marlin rifle to be delivered in December 2021 from their Mayodan, NC plant will be the Marlin model 1895SBL in 45-70.

Killroy indicated that the company will release this model first and will be followed up by some 336 models and the popular model 444 as well. These centerfire rifles will then be followed up by some model 1894's in 357 and 44 magnum.

He also indicated that the Marlin famous Microgroove and Ballard rifling have been replaced with their method of rifling and that initial results are offering extremely good accuracy that they are use to producing from their other centerfire rifles in the Ruger line.

The model choice for first release is a proven best seller from past Marlin releases and is anticipated to sell very well.

The company emphasized that although initial availability will be light they expect to ramp up quickly."
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: New Ruger-built Marlins coming in December

Post by in2anity » 07 Oct 2021, 1:49 pm

IMO, a Ruger barrel outshoots a Microgroove. Ruger barrels IMO punch above their price. One of my critisims of the 336 is the micrgroove seems more finicky to projectile choice, which is why I purchased a Marlin XLR (which has the ballard cut rifling).

Very interested to see how the fit and finish compares to a "Remlin". I wonder if/when any will come to Australia?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Oct 2021, 2:14 pm

Agreed, Ruger makes great barrels.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 07 Oct 2021, 3:06 pm

I bought a Remlin 336 soon after JM closed shop. The fit and finish was terrible, and I had to work hard to get it to shoot just averagely. I replaced it with a 1996 built JM 336 and it drove tacks compared with the Remlin 336 - 3-shot clovers from cold at 50m were a constant. It would be very interesting to retrospectively compare all three of them (including the new one from Ruger).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 07 Oct 2021, 4:18 pm

I await with anticipation. Hopefully the new rifles will be of quality and accuracy. Just have to wait and se.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Downunder » 07 Oct 2021, 5:34 pm

3 Rugers 1977 to 2020 all different profiles, models and cartridges and all shoot incredibly well with minimal fine tuning.
I hope Ruger carries they tradition forward.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by keenstalking22 » 07 Oct 2021, 7:34 pm

I cant wait. I always wanted one of these laminate stainless lever actions, but 2000 AUD sounds like a lot especially when all I heard about them were that they were filled with problems.
keenstalking22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by animalpest » 07 Oct 2021, 9:02 pm

My very very well used Ruger Deerstalker (a semi-auto .44 mag) had what was the equivalent of micro groove rifling. And it would outshoot Marlin levers in .44 every day of the week.

Hopefully the rifles are well built and if they are, terrific
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by boingk » 07 Oct 2021, 9:28 pm

keenstalking22 wrote:I cant wait. I always wanted one of these laminate stainless lever actions, but 2000 AUD sounds like a lot especially when all I heard about them were that they were filled with problems.

I got one of the 1895GBL's (18.5" barrel, blued, walnut laminate stock, large loop and full length 6 round tube mag) and it's brilliant. Had a minor hiccup with a screw that needed a tiny burr taken off to promote 100% smooth feeding, but other than that its been flawless.

It's got 95% of the appeal of the grey laminate/stianless (to me at least) and it was $1250 brand spankers. Cant argue too much there. Highly recommended.

What were we talking about?

Oh yeah, hope Ruger does well with these things! Didn't think they'd stuff around. They're like the GM or Ford of the firearms world - they make stuff people want to buy at a realistic price, from cheap utilitarian clackers right through to quality finished pieces.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Oct 2021, 11:16 pm

Marlin 336 30.30. About 2.5" groups
Marlin ba 223 0.8" groups
Marlin ba 30.06 0.9" groups

All micro groove

I'm happy.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 08 Oct 2021, 8:23 am

Oldbloke wrote:Marlin 336 30.30. About 2.5" groups

All micro groove

I'm happy.

Don't get me wrong, I agree a microgroove can definately work OB. As a said, I have a very accurate microgroove JM 336... that's also been RTV bedded (which is another story which you know about OB ;) ). But in my experience, Ruger barrels just wanna shoot, no matter the pill; a relatively painless exercise. ik ik - lots of annecdotes here :unknown: but annecdotes are fun!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Oct 2021, 10:48 am

In2anity. Not arguing. Just saying.
Both BAs are hard loaded.
The 336 only shot cheap "super" and Winchester ammo. Many years ago.

Personally. I don't think there is much in it. 2 or 4 deep grooves. 5 or 6 smaller grooves!
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Oct 2021, 11:32 am

in2anity wrote:

All micro groove

I'm happy.

Don't get me wrong, I agree a microgroove can definately work OB. As a said, I have a very accurate microgroove JM 336... that's also been RTV bedded (which is another story which you know about OB ;) ). But in my experience, Ruger barrels just wanna shoot, no matter the pill; a relatively painless exercise. ik ik - lots of annecdotes here :unknown: but annecdotes are fun!

My Marlin 1894 shoots very well with jacketed bullets, but getting cast bullets to work was a long and painful exercise.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 08 Oct 2021, 11:40 am

Ruger American is the best value rifle on the market. Cheap, reliable and available in all calibers. I would love to see a Marlin 1895SBL in 223 and 308.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Oct 2021, 11:46 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Ruger American is the best value rifle on the market. Cheap, reliable and available in all calibers. I would love to see a Marlin 1895SBL in 223 and 308.

Ruger offers a great selection of chamberings. When I went looking nobody else offered .204 and 7mm-08 in the same platform.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 08 Oct 2021, 12:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:My Marlin 1894 shoots very well with jacketed bullets, but getting cast bullets to work was a long and painful exercise.

Yup that was my experience also with my 336 30/30. Nevertheless, my 1894cb in 32H&R is a very accurate lead slinger: https://youtu.be/FgFWgdY8tYM heavy ballard style barrel on her. Bit of wind that day also :clap:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 08 Oct 2021, 8:24 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Ruger American is the best value rifle on the market. Cheap, reliable and available in all calibers. I would love to see a Marlin 1895SBL in 223 and 308.

Yes on both accounts.

Love my Americans, I've got the 223, 308 and 350 Legend. Really nice mix and realistically way more than I need for pretty much any selection of Australian game.

Makes me think what the other dozen longarms I've got are for...

...until I get out and about with the 1895GBL, ah, 45-70 Government; the best kind of government!

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Oct 2021, 8:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:

All micro groove

I'm happy.

My Marlin 1894 shoots very well with jacketed bullets, but getting cast bullets to work was a long and painful exercise.

I'd its a micro groove cast a little larger and gas check. Works for me.. Don't resize.

More here.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMarlin-MicroGroove.htm
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Marlin44 » 08 Oct 2021, 8:52 pm

Too much pressure for this action.
Marlin44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 08 Oct 2021, 9:21 pm

Marlin44 wrote:

Too much pressure for this action.

Yup need the rack-and-pinion Winchester 88 pattern. Ie the BLR.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 09 Oct 2021, 7:31 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:.... I would love to see a Marlin 1895SBL in 223 and 308.

Unlikely due to the magazine feed and interlock mechanism which relies on there being an adequate rim on the cartridge.

Also I wouldn't go in for effusive praise of Ruger products. My son bought a 77/44 which shoots 2 to 3 MOA scoped.
Perfectly adequate for a 150 meter medium to larger game rifle but nothing to brag about.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Oct 2021, 8:22 am

straightshooter wrote:
Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:.... I would love to see a Marlin 1895SBL in 223 and 308.

Unlikely due to the magazine feed and interlock mechanism which relies on there being an adequate rim on the cartridge.

Also I wouldn't go in for effusive praise of Ruger products. My son bought a 77/44 which shoots 2 to 3 MOA scoped.
Perfectly adequate for a 150 meter medium to larger game rifle but nothing to brag about.

That's similar to my Marlin .44 so I wouldn't say it's a Ruger issue, more the cartridge I think.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 10 Oct 2021, 11:35 pm

straightshooter wrote:Also I wouldn't go in for effusive praise of Ruger products. My son bought a 77/44 which shoots 2 to 3 MOA scoped.

Not rings or projectile weight issues?

FWIW I've always had good results with quick-release Nikko Sterling ring sets.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by wrenchman » 11 Oct 2021, 6:41 am

My son has 2 Marlin guns a 4570 that was made by Remington and and a 3030 made by Marlin both shoot verge nice it will be good to see how they handle when Ruger starts making them
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by PoorShot300 » 05 Nov 2021, 10:14 am

bladeracer wrote:https://1895gunner.com/news/10-06-21.html

"OCTOBER 06, 2021
Ruger Announces Their First Marlin Rifle Release
__
MAYODAN, NC., Oct. 06, 2021.
Christopher J. Killoy, Ruger CEO, said the first Marlin rifle to be delivered in December 2021 from their Mayodan, NC plant will be the Marlin model 1895SBL in 45-70.

Killroy indicated that the company will release this model first and will be followed up by some 336 models and the popular model 444 as well. These centerfire rifles will then be followed up by some model 1894's in 357 and 44 magnum.

He also indicated that the Marlin famous Microgroove and Ballard rifling have been replaced with their method of rifling and that initial results are offering extremely good accuracy that they are use to producing from their other centerfire rifles in the Ruger line.

The model choice for first release is a proven best seller from past Marlin releases and is anticipated to sell very well.

The company emphasized that although initial availability will be light they expect to ramp up quickly."

Sent you a PM bloke, it’ been a while... cheers, Gypsy.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 05 Nov 2021, 10:29 am

keenstalking22 wrote:I cant wait. I always wanted one of these laminate stainless lever actions, but 2000 AUD sounds like a lot especially when all I heard about them were that they were filled with problems.

Are you still in the market for a Marlin?
If so, PM me about an as new pre factory move to Remington location XLR 336 in.30.30 SS with only 60 rounds down the tube... a safe queen by any name... cheers.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2021, 12:24 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:

Sorry, lost my computer so I'm trying to battle on with the phone...until I find it so annoying I fix the computer :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 05 Nov 2021, 1:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:
PoorShot300 wrote:

Sorry, lost my computer so I'm trying to battle on with the phone...until I find it so annoying I fix the computer :-)

No apology required or expected, I’m bashing this out on an iPad...

:drinks:
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2021, 4:29 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
PoorShot300 wrote:

No apology required or expected, I’m bashing this out on an iPad...

:drinks:

You have my profound sympathy!

I know people that don't even own computers, they do all their "internet" on a phone. Must even worse than it was before they invented the internet :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 05 Nov 2021, 8:08 pm

I had use of a computer after mine was farked, until recently, and now the internet means less to me each day, and my phone is on prepaid, so only calls and text to preserve funds. Old mate where I’m camped out lets me piggyback his wifi so life is good, and cheap.. more funds for hobbies that way.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles