Replica Firearms

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Replica Firearms

Post by Apollo » 19 Oct 2021, 8:31 pm

Bye
Last edited by Apollo on 20 Oct 2021, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Replica Firearms

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Oct 2021, 8:46 pm

Nor do i
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Oct 2021, 8:53 pm

It's quite simple really, some folk set up displays using items they may not be allowed to have if they were real. No good in my State as even replicas have to be secured.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Oct 2021, 12:48 am

First, you need to clarify that you are referring to non-firing replicas, not firearms that replicate others. I would love to be able to collect the .22LR replicas of classic firearms myself, but most being semi-auto would only be allowed on a collectors licence, so little point.

I started collecting non-firing replicas when I was about ten years old. Back then they were very, very good replicas that were mechanically identical to the real thing, so function, controls, disassembly and such were exactly the same, though not compatible. Even grip plates wouldn't fit a real version.

For anybody with a mechanical interest in firearms they were an awesome way to learn how they worked. Without any licencing or storage restrictions. By the nineties the high-quality replicas were disappearing and being replaced with things like Denix models, that have some aesthetic resemblance but don't feel or function anything like a real firearm. High-quality models still exist but are very expensive, often more expensive than buying a real version, and are only unrestricted in two states nowadays. All other states classify non-firing models as real firearms, requiring the same licence as a real one, and crucially, genuine reason to own them. Making them really only available to theatrical armourers and collectors.

When I moved to Victoria I had to give all of my collection away as they are not legal here, which sucks.

Like most things, they serve a purpose to a niche audience.

Apollo wrote:Well, I know I'm old and senile but I thought I'd ask members their views on what is it all about.

I see an increasing number of Replica Firearms for sale, mostly semi-auto etc.

Not cheap, but why. Who would want a copy of something that you can't own that is not fully functional and what do you do with it..?? Hang it on the wall...?? Is that legal and is that asking for someone to steal it thinking it's the real thing..??

I understand places like RSL Clubs displaying past war Firearms that have been rendered unusable....okay history in Australia BUT.....a private person..??

They are not cheap, a beautiful photo would be nice...

I simply don't get it......
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 20 Oct 2021, 10:58 am

I got a replica Beretta 92 pistol which is a very close copy of the real thing and has a working trigger and hammer but is otherwise just a toy.
It has been helpful in developing my holster draw for competitions like service and steel challenge without having to take a real pistol out of the safe and I can leave it out somewhere convenient.

As for the larger Cat D or military replicas I assume they are bought by people that just like collecting them and maybe mounting them on the wall, it always amazes me what some people become passionate about collecting.

In states that allow replicas I find it odd that appearance laws don't apply to them as they are just as able to look "scary" as a 22LR with black things sticking out from it and far more likely to be seen, especially if they are up on your wall. I dare say the remaining states will be forced into line at some point though.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 20 Oct 2021, 12:59 pm

I also wonder why, but then I recalled that some people like collecting stamps or little toys given away for free from major supermarket chains
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 20 Oct 2021, 6:01 pm

I recon its because different people like different things and also because they can. No different to peoples taste in models etc
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 22 Oct 2021, 3:28 pm

If you have to ask why people collect things then you just won't understand. I love firearms. Shooting them is fun but collecting them and researching them is even better.
Before February of this year you could own replica firearms without a licence except if they were a replica of an automatic. They were deemed category R and required a collectors licence and required safe storage.

Since February the weapons act was changed to accomodate those stupid gel blasters and in around about way helped collectors. Gel blasters are deemed replica firearms and are not classified as a firearm or category of weapon. So because of that change all category R replicas were deregistered from collector licences and can now be bought by anyone without a licence as they are legally classed the same as a gel blaster.

So if you live in Queensland start buying automatic replicas just because YOU CAN!!!!
Attachments
46AC3253-5365-4218-9EA4-6ABBD91CE8E8.jpeg
46AC3253-5365-4218-9EA4-6ABBD91CE8E8.jpeg (605.22 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 22 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm

Do they function at all? I can see the appeal of collecting this sort of thing, but I'm too pragmatic to actually be a collector of anything.

Woolworths toys-that's more my collecting style, especially when being sold on Facebook for thousands of dollars!
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Oct 2021, 5:03 pm

disco stu wrote:Do they function at all? I can see the appeal of collecting this sort of thing, but I'm too pragmatic to actually be a collector of anything.

Woolworths toys-that's more my collecting style, especially when being sold on Facebook for thousands of dollars!

If they're Denix they have some basic functionality, mag goes in and out, bolt goes back and forth, trigger works, some basic disassembly. I don't think Denix mags will even take real dummy ammo. I know my Marushin Uzi held a full load of real 9mm ammo (because I was shooting 9mm IPSC at the time), but obviously wouldn't cycle anything due to the plugged chamber. That one got stolen in a burglary back in '02 :-(
If they're higher-quality ones they function and disassemble exactly the same as the real thing, but they're made of pot metal and have a solid barrel. All parts are out-of-spec so nothing is interchangeable with a real firearm.
Japanese Marushin were the top tier back in my day, at least of what was available here.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Oct 2021, 5:10 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Before February of this year you could own replica firearms without a licence...

As they should be everywhere, we have plenty of laws governing threatening others with weapons, having additional laws for non-functional replicas is ludicrous. Anybody threatening people with something that looks like a real weapon of any kind deserves everything the law can throw at them. But making laws to prevent the majority from owning anything because a tiny minority _might_ use them for nefarious purpose is the mess our society has become.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 22 Oct 2021, 7:51 pm

In the UK you can buy a REAL deactivated Bren gun or MP40 etc with no licence last time I looked into it. Has that changed?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles