300 PRC rifle for NSW

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

300 PRC rifle for NSW

Post by Biscuits » 28 Oct 2021, 5:08 am

Another what rifle, or rather what stock question.

I’m living in London on a U.K. firearms licence, but plan on returning to Sydney before long. Planning on getting a 300 PRC for ultra long range work, while I’m still in the U.K.; I’ve already maxed out the supersonic range of a 6.5 Creedmoor.

As I’m returning to Sydney, with guns, I’m looking for rifles which comply with NSW law. I don’t really understand which cosmetic / “too military looking” features get rifles banned in NSW. Obvs I have the additional step of getting a NSW licence.

Anybody see any difficulty for NSW in a
- Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR)
- Bergara B14 in a MDT ACC chsssis
?

300 PRC for both the above.

Also, does 300 PRC factory ammo exist in Australia?
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 300 PRC rifle for NSW

Post by Larry » 28 Oct 2021, 7:15 am

Just make sure that the stock is not folding. Not sure about the factory ammo. It is a pretty specialized round for over here I haven't heard of anyone using it even in the F class circles.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by straightshooter » 28 Oct 2021, 7:38 am

Likely to be no difficulties in NSW.
Could be issues with Australian Customs especially if the stocks are black.
You would be wise to research the benefits of arranging export and import via dealers rather than attempting everything yourself.
Alternatively the configurations you describe should be readily available in Australia if you want to avoid the burdens and expense of export/import.

The 300PRC looks like a sensible magnum cartridge designed for a standard magnum boltface but without that dopey belt, so in time it should become readily available even if it isn't now. Especially if some youtube spruikers talk it up.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 28 Oct 2021, 7:50 am

^ Yes, I’ve spent hours researching long range rifles; the 338, 375, 416 are horrific expensive to buy and run. The 6.5 Creedmoor which I have now is ok, but doesn’t have enough grunt to spot impacts reliably past 1200 metres, especially if the ground is damp. The 300 Norma has a short barrel life and a 338 size bolt face. The 300 win mag has plenty of ammo availablity, but only if you want hunting or short range ammo. It’s actually easier to get factory target 300 PRC ammo in the U.K. than target Win Mag. I’d probably homeload in Sydney anyway.

I’ll have a last summer in Europe; I’d like to get the 300 PRC now and give it a work out on some of the European 1-mile to 2000 metre ranges.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 28 Oct 2021, 9:48 am

Hi Mate
If you want to import some 300PRC ammo or bring it back with you to NSW, you will have to look at the NSW police web site
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Forms.pdf and other related forms.
If the criteria are met you shouldn't have a problem.
I think it might be expensive thought...not sure.
Best of luck
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 28 Oct 2021, 10:33 am

300 WSM perhaps? Analogous to the 300 Win Mag but in a shorter package.

Very efficient, still has a supersonic flight limit around 1300 yards, and still fairly well available.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 29 Oct 2021, 8:38 am

Ruger Precision Rifle has a folding stock that you must use to remove the bolt. You can not have a folding stock in NSW. You would have to have it modified before you enter NSW.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Oct 2021, 7:59 pm

What makes you want to use factory ammo for long range shooting?. A while back you would see some 338 Lapua shooters using factory ammo, with fairly poor results. Everyone else on the line reloads.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Oct 2021, 8:04 pm

If I was in your position, I would buy a custom action, like Barnard or Defiance, here in Australia and build a rifle. You a going to be disappointed by factory offerings.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 01 Nov 2021, 2:09 am

SCJ429 wrote:What makes you want to use factory ammo for long range shooting?. A while back you would see some 338 Lapua shooters using factory ammo, with fairly poor results. Everyone else on the line reloads.

I always want to have factory ammo available even if I reload.

There is factory ammo and there is factory ammo though; I've been using Hornady ELDM in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor; I think you give up a bit of velocity over a home load (it seems to be designed not to cause a problem in anything and is quite a mild load) but you do not give up any accuracy. I've chrono'd this factory ammo and have single figure SD on the muzzle velocity, you can get repeated hits at 1000 and everything goes in the same hole at 100.

---

I did not realise you needed to fold the stock to pull the bolt on the RPR; I may have to rethink that one.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 07 Nov 2021, 10:34 pm

I’m thinking of one of these for the 300 PRC.

Desert Tech. Would have a longer barrel than on this link, maybe a 26 inch barrel.

https://deserttech.com/srs.php?type=covert

Bolt action bullpup rifle. Would this be legal in NSW?
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Nov 2021, 10:41 pm

Biscuits wrote:I’m thinking of one of these for the 300 PRC.

Desert Tech. Would have a longer barrel than on this link, maybe a 26 inch barrel.

https://deserttech.com/srs.php?type=covert

Bolt action bullpup rifle. Would this be legal in NSW?

I thought a member here has/had one of these in NSW, though I think his is/was in .50BMG.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Nov 2021, 10:44 pm

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7341#p115065

Brett hasn't been active here since last year though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Nov 2021, 10:46 pm

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Biscuits » 08 Nov 2021, 9:54 am

bladeracer wrote:https://www.deltatactical.com.au/desert-tech-m86

Contact these guys maybe.

Actually might need to scrap that idea. I saw two of these rifles on the range over the weekend and thought that looks good, looks like about a $6000 rifle; not cheap but maybe worth it. Turns out after researching, it is a $13,000 rifle. Looking for short rifles with long barrels so they will fit sideways on a motorbike, without the folding stock which is prohibited in NSW, which really means a bullpup. Seems I need to keep looking.

I still beat the two guys with the Desert Techs in the match though, with a much cheaper rifle ;)
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Nov 2021, 10:32 am

Biscuits wrote:
bladeracer wrote:https://www.deltatactical.com.au/desert-tech-m86

Contact these guys maybe.

Actually might need to scrap that idea. I saw two of these rifles on the range over the weekend and thought that looks good, looks like about a $6000 rifle; not cheap but maybe worth it. Turns out after researching, it is a $13,000 rifle. Looking for short rifles with long barrels so they will fit sideways on a motorbike, without the folding stock which is prohibited in NSW, which really means a bullpup. Seems I need to keep looking.

I still beat the two guys with the Desert Techs in the match though, with a much cheaper rifle ;)

Yeah, crazy money for those.
I wouldn't mount the rifle across the bike, put it in a backpack so you know where it is all the time.
I've ridden by simply laying the rifle along the seat and sitting on it, but I wouldn't do that if it were scoped, you'd want to put it in a hard case then. Depending on the design of the bike you could probably fabricate an aluminium box along the side of the rear subframe, to tuck the barrel in behind your ankle. I still have a few bikes, but unfortunately don't ride anymore.

What sort of rifle are you wanting?
Maybe look at something that comes apart easily to fit in a pack.
Some of the chassis break down very easily, and generally have no issues with loss of zero. The Ruger American in an AICS-design doesn't break down easily as the front action screw sits right under the AICS mag release, but it's not difficult to fabricate a mag release that allows screwdriver access.

Some of the carbines are pretty close to the minimum length requirements without having to break them down. 16" Rossi levers are very compact, but at 856mm they're still a few inches longer than the minimum allowed.

I made my own bullpup chassis for my Ruger Americans, but certainly not allowed in NSW.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7819
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 08 Nov 2021, 7:57 pm

You should move to Queensland if you want folding stocks. You can have any stock you like so long as the overall length of the firearm is greater than 75cm. Under 75cm and then it becomes a concealable firearm(pistol) and requires a concealable firearms licence.

Queensland has 10 year licences, like for like pta swaps, 6 month pta expiry, unlimited cat A mags, get firearms posted to your house where other states can only send to dealer, buy any calibre of ammo so long as its under 1 inch. There is appearance laws in Queensland but not to the extent of New South, appearance laws are crazy down there.

New South has 50bmg and state forrest hunting. Thats the only thing better down there. But they still cant have gel blasters if you can believe it.

Just a few things to think about.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Nov 2021, 8:39 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:You should move to Queensland if you want folding stocks. You can have any stock you like so long as the overall length of the firearm is greater than 75cm. Under 75cm and then it becomes a concealable firearm(pistol) and requires a concealable firearms licence.

Queensland has 10 year licences, like for like pta swaps, 6 month pta expiry, unlimited cat A mags, get firearms posted to your house where other states can only send to dealer, buy any calibre of ammo so long as its under 1 inch. There is appearance laws in Queensland but not to the extent of New South, appearance laws are crazy down there.

New South has 50bmg and state forrest hunting. Thats the only thing better down there. But they still cant have gel blasters if you can believe it.

Vice has folding stocks as well.
And we have lots of public land for hunting, so we don't need gel blasters ;-)

Why would you need a PtA that lasts longer than a week or two at most?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 08 Nov 2021, 10:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:You should move to Queensland if you want folding stocks. You can have any stock you like so long as the overall length of the firearm is greater than 75cm. Under 75cm and then it becomes a concealable firearm(pistol) and requires a concealable firearms licence.

Longer the better. You might be waiting on a gun to come in from overseas or something. Or your local dealer does not have it so you need it sent from another dealer. QLD PTAs(form 28) only have have the dealer, calibre and action listed. So if your PTA is for a 308 pump then you can buy any brand 308 pump. Also you can submit your PTA when you apply for your licence so the 28 day waiting period is void because you are already waiting for your licence.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Nov 2021, 8:25 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Longer the better. You might be waiting on a gun to come in from overseas or something. Or your local dealer does not have it so you need it sent from another dealer. QLD PTAs(form 28) only have have the dealer, calibre and action listed. So if your PTA is for a 308 pump then you can buy any brand 308 pump. Also you can submit your PTA when you apply for your licence so the 28 day waiting period is void because you are already waiting for your licence.

I don't lodge permit applications until I already have the firearm. I can't see any reason to need a permit beforehand. When I imported two rifles from overseas I applied for and had approved both permits before going ahead with the export. It took five months to get the rifles, but the permits were already in the system with all the details of the specific rifles, so they didn't expire, and I could bring them home the same day they arrived.

I did the same when I applied for my licence, two PtA's for the Ruger Americam compact .22LR, and the Ruger American Predator .204, so I brought them home as soon as my licence came through.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles