Ammo for Howa 1500 Oryx .308 with 24" varmint barrel?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ammo for Howa 1500 Oryx .308 with 24" varmint barrel?

Post by FearlessMagpie » 21 Nov 2021, 3:34 pm

I just bought a HOWA 1500 Oryx with 24" Varmint barrel.

Anyone had experience with it? What ammo does it prefer?

BTW, what is the cheapest store to buy ammo in Victoria?

Thanks a lot :D
FearlessMagpie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Ammo for Howa 1500 Oryx .308 with 24" varmint barrel?

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 22 Nov 2021, 7:49 pm

I found the best round for the howa 1500 308 was the 165g zmax superb accuracy for the price unfortunately they have been discounted i have heard that the 165g amax is the same proj but i can't varify that. Adi 2208 was the go to powder.

I have shot it out to 500 with booring consistency and have also tested it on medium to large pigs also with great success. Hope this helps
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Nov 2021, 8:19 pm

FearlessMagpie wrote:I just bought a HOWA 1500 Oryx with 24" Varmint barrel.

What sort of ammo do you want, plinking, competition or hunting?

As we can't ship ammo currently, you'll probably have to order what you want from your local dealer. Probably no point finding ammo 20% cheaper somewhere if it's five-hours traveling to collect it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FearlessMagpie » 22 Nov 2021, 10:49 pm

bladeracer wrote:

As we can't ship ammo currently, you'll probably have to order what you want from your local dealer. Probably no point finding ammo 20% cheaper somewhere if it's five-hours traveling to collect it.

I need ammo for both plinking (probably be PPU 150SP) and competition (haven't decide the ammo yet).
I gonna add a tuner brake (either EC TB or TMB G2). Hopefully the result would be close to 0.6MOA @100
My friend's 26" Howa Oryx shoots 0.5MOA consistently with his reloaded ammo.

Do you have a web link for your store?
Thank you
FearlessMagpie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Nov 2021, 11:10 pm

FearlessMagpie wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I need ammo for both plinking (probably be PPU 150SP) and competition (haven't decide the ammo yet).
I gonna add a tuner brake (either EC TB or TMB G2). Hopefully the result would be close to 0.6MOA @100
My friend's 26" Howa Oryx shoots 0.5MOA consistently with his reloaded ammo.

Do you have a web link for your store?
Thank you

For competition you'll want to try everything you can find and determine which your rifle shoots best with, although loading your own ammo would give you the best result.

I don't have a store. Talk to your dealer and see what ammo he can supply you with. If you want to try something he can't supply, you'll have to check with other dealers within whatever distance you're comfortable traveling to collect it. Since TNT bailed, nobody can ship ammunition in Australia, you have to go and collect it yourself. What area are you in?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 23 Nov 2021, 11:29 am

Bladeracer, sorry to get off line a bit but TNT is owned by FEDEX and FEDEX will not ship any night vision to Australia, even those coming on a Govt permit. We used them for years as TNT prior to the take over. TNT / FEDEX is looking after our moral well being.
We respect their concern for us :sarcasm:
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 23 Nov 2021, 3:20 pm

I own a howa varmint rifle like yours but it’s in 243 so I can’t be of much help to you. But I do think your user name is really cool. ..beware of advertised ppu unless u have checked it’s actually in stock. I recently purchased a new sauer 270 rifle expecting to be able to shoot factory ppu for 24 bucks a box from one of my local stores. But it’s out of stock they tell me now maybe March.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Biscuits » 24 Nov 2021, 4:09 pm

On the PPU, I’ve never found PPU in the modern calibers, eg your 308, to be particularly good. They are fine for former military calibers such as the 303.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 25 Nov 2021, 7:03 am

If you are serious about competition, you'll need a pill that's consistent. Berger/Nosler/Sierra target pills spring to mind. The Hornady offerings aren't terrible nowadays also - I used ELDMs in the last Queens I shot in and it brought home a couple of possibles. Hornady bullets are popular in silhouette circles, particularly the amax because they are more than "good enough" for offhand. Personally, I tend to just stick to Sierra tangent pills for Service Rifle matches; which is 1/3 prone sling, sometimes slow fire, which is where a good bullet starts to pay-off. Tiny groups from F-class style setups - yeah it'll pay to run a decent bullet.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Husky243 » 26 Nov 2021, 7:08 pm

I had the same setup. Was very easy to shoot off the bench as it was so heavy. I never got to work out what it really liked but it didn’t mind the hornady 168gr eld-m. It had a fairly tight headspace and didn’t like PPU or Federal. Every rifle is different though
Husky243
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles