Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by Tubs » 18 Jan 2022, 6:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote: This is great, hadnt thought about doing this. Normally I would use right hand but cant use right when shooting offhand with a sling....

I used to use a sling, I don't anymore. Slings aren't useful for field shooting in my experience, they either take too long to get into, or require you to move around getting into them, neither of which is useful in most hunting situations. And the sling restricts your options when you're in it. I have in the past gotten into the sling to start walking along a creek bank, and that can work as you are really shooting in a very restricted direction anyway. But if you walk along the creek bed, trying to engage snap shots to both sides becomes awkward with the sling. You are far better off simply practicing offhand until you become good at it, and you don't want the sling flapping about while taking a sight picture either. Learn to hunt moving from one shooting position to the next, where you have both cover or shadow, and shooting support, a tree, fence post, grassy mound or a log to lean on. You will only be using such positions at relatively close ranges, at longer ranges you should be well settled into a position and shouldn't be taking snap shots at all. This is when you might choose to revert to the sling, but know that your point of impact is likely to change between using and not using the sling. Since switching to single-point slings, I love no longer having a sling hanging off a rifle. The rifle just has a short strap about 100mm long with the QD clip on the end of it.

Cheers. I tried actioning the bolt using my left hand under the rifle with it shouldered but my arms are too short :lol:

Actioning the rifle with my right hand while the left supports it is therefore a more viable option.

Dumb question - how do you attach the rifles QD clip to yourself?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2022, 6:07 pm

I just tried running some rifles using my left hand while shouldered, offhand. The JW25A is a dream, the short-action Ruger Americans are fine, the long-action No4 Rifle sucks, but can be done :-) The long bolt throw of the long-actions requires lifting my face off the comb, which can upset the balance.

The sling is a simple adjustable loop. You put your head and one arm through it, then just wear it all day, or several days. I don't even remove it to sleep. When you pick your rifle up, clip it to the sling and you're done. You don't need to hold or control the rifle at all, it merely hangs down your front. You can shoulder the rifle just fine with no restriction on your movement.
20220119_183307b.jpg
20220119_183307b.jpg (349.02 KiB) Viewed 1338 times

20220119_183426b.jpg
20220119_183426b.jpg (609 KiB) Viewed 1338 times

If it's in the way when you want to run or climb a fence, just push it around to the side and it hangs down by your leg, again without requiring you to grasp hold of it. In fact, I sometimes put my elbow up on the butt pad for support while walking.
20220119_183439b.jpg
20220119_183439b.jpg (502.57 KiB) Viewed 1338 times

If you need to switch it to your other side, draw your arm back through the sling, then push your other arm through it. You can wear a backpack over the top.
I should've strapped my binocular case on for the photos as well, that sits on my left breast. I can also grab my wind jacket or rain poncho from my harness at my lower back and put those on while walking, without having to unsling my rifle.

Tubs wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote: This is great, hadnt thought about doing this. Normally I would use right hand but cant use right when shooting offhand with a sling....

I used to use a sling, I don't anymore. Slings aren't useful for field shooting in my experience, they either take too long to get into, or require you to move around getting into them, neither of which is useful in most hunting situations. And the sling restricts your options when you're in it. I have in the past gotten into the sling to start walking along a creek bank, and that can work as you are really shooting in a very restricted direction anyway. But if you walk along the creek bed, trying to engage snap shots to both sides becomes awkward with the sling. You are far better off simply practicing offhand until you become good at it, and you don't want the sling flapping about while taking a sight picture either. Learn to hunt moving from one shooting position to the next, where you have both cover or shadow, and shooting support, a tree, fence post, grassy mound or a log to lean on. You will only be using such positions at relatively close ranges, at longer ranges you should be well settled into a position and shouldn't be taking snap shots at all. This is when you might choose to revert to the sling, but know that your point of impact is likely to change between using and not using the sling. Since switching to single-point slings, I love no longer having a sling hanging off a rifle. The rifle just has a short strap about 100mm long with the QD clip on the end of it.

Cheers. I tried actioning the bolt using my left hand under the rifle with it shouldered but my arms are too short :lol:

Actioning the rifle with my right hand while the left supports it is therefore a more viable option.

Dumb question - how do you attach the rifles QD clip to yourself?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 28 Jan 2022, 3:19 am

Weird, all camo must be in the wash. Or maybe thats his underwear.
At least the roll of camo bandage tape came in handy that day. I mean what cant it do really. :idea: throw away hose nasty pliers and fencing wire.
Never leave home without it.

Anyway. How’s this. https://www.nioa.com.au/products/savage-110-hog-hunter

223 or 308
Last edited by womble on 28 Jan 2022, 4:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 28 Jan 2022, 3:31 am

Oh s**t i like that. But kids need new shoes.
They will have deformed feet.
No but i really like that.
But what about their mutated feet.
But what about me…. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OzQKECQgjW8 :violin:
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 29 Jan 2022, 3:57 pm

boingk wrote:Rossi / Citadel Levtac 92 in 357, 44 or 454 Casull.

16" barrel, mid mounted pic rail, ghost ring peep sights, mlok forend, sling swivels, threaded muzzle.

Do it...

Sold the Marlin 1894 and replaced with the Citadel in 357. Man I am impressed with Rossi. They have come a long way.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 30 Jan 2022, 10:31 pm

Tubs wrote:

16" barrel, mid mounted pic rail, ghost ring peep sights, mlok forend, sling swivels, threaded muzzle.

Do it...

Sold the Marlin 1894 and replaced with the Citadel in 357. Man I am impressed with Rossi. They have come a long way.

That's the way mate! You run her in yet?
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Tubs » 31 Jan 2022, 9:10 pm

boingk wrote:
Tubs wrote:

Do it...

That's the way mate! You run her in yet?

Soon mate soon. Im going to drop a Sig Romeo dot on her and wait for my cheap chinese magnifier to arrive.

How do they shoot? Ive only heard good things.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles