Light hunting rifles, how is "light" defined?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Light hunting rifles, how is "light" defined?

Post by Biscuits » 11 Feb 2022, 5:52 am

^ I notice you don't have a sling. Have you tried it with a sling, wrapped around your non trigger side upper arm? That will make it a lot more stable. You will probably forget about the balance being forward too.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 11 Feb 2022, 8:12 am

Yes good point Biscuits, and probably just presumed by this stage. A basic canvas milsurp sling makes for an excellent offhand two-point setup:

E151FBBD-B2D6-480F-872B-44512FEC71AB.jpeg
E151FBBD-B2D6-480F-872B-44512FEC71AB.jpeg (26.72 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mini Hulk » 11 Feb 2022, 8:29 am

Biscuits wrote:^ I notice you don't have a sling. Have you tried it with a sling, wrapped around your non trigger side upper arm? That will make it a lot more stable. You will probably forget about the balance being forward too.

Yeah I do, currently it's on my 22as that's all I've been able to use recently. Shooting with a sling is something I'm trying to get better at.

Maybe I should make a nicer leather one for the howa? hmmm
Pro Tip: Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%...
Mini Hulk
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2022, 9:54 am

Mini Hulk wrote:
Biscuits wrote:^ I notice you don't have a sling. Have you tried it with a sling, wrapped around your non trigger side upper arm? That will make it a lot more stable. You will probably forget about the balance being forward too.

Yeah I do, currently it's on my 22as that's all I've been able to use recently. Shooting with a sling is something I'm trying to get better at.

They make replicas of the original M1903 shooting sling.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/363695262003
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mini Hulk » 11 Feb 2022, 10:19 am

bladeracer wrote:
Mini Hulk wrote:

They make replicas of the original M1903 shooting sling.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/363695262003

I don't mind the M1907 sling, and I don't think I could even make one for the prices on ebay. The other kind I was considering was something like the quick adjust one shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGDo7GekKq8&t=402s The only problem is that I'll have to figure out how to tie the knot.
Pro Tip: Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%...
Mini Hulk
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 Feb 2022, 10:50 am

The m1907 is the ultimate utilitarian sling, part of the the bread and butter of SR shooting. From sitting or prone, loosen or disconnect the rear sling attachement, pass your support arm through the loop, then nip it up tight above the bicep, forming triangulation. For standing offhand shots, leave the rear attached, and hasitly "wrap" your support arm around the sling into the two-point stance (similar to the photo above).

sitting.jpg
sitting.jpg (678.56 KiB) Viewed 1255 times

prone.jpg
prone.jpg (559.92 KiB) Viewed 1255 times

m1917.jpg
m1917.jpg (391.47 KiB) Viewed 1255 times

NEVERTHELESS when properly entering the loop, this sling requires setup time - something that is not of essence out in the sticks. In the field I prefer a compromise sling like the "ching sling" https://youtu.be/n-oHZQ2smpA https://youtu.be/WLISJXm42Lk which in the words of Ian is a "a simpler shooting sling compromise"

NOTE: if you get a m1907, do yourself a favor and at least get one from brownells - I have had two from Brownells and they lasted pretty well, although the keepers stretch over time. The best is a Turner sling with the heavy keepers - but they have around a 2yr lead time :crazy:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Border_Bloke » 17 Feb 2022, 2:31 pm

in2anity wrote:The m1907 is the ultimate utilitarian sling, part of the the bread and butter of SR shooting. From sitting or prone, loosen or disconnect the rear sling attachement, pass your support arm through the loop, then nip it up tight above the bicep, forming triangulation.

What he said - That is exactly how I learned to shoot centrefire 40 years ago...
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 04 Apr 2022, 10:10 pm

All my stalking rifles weigh apron the 3.7 -3.8 kg mark scoped - and for me personally when out in the field with my backpack and quad sticks it seems like the perfect weight.
I have shot heavier rifle / scope combo's (4 kg +) and whilst they also worked you would feel it after a few hours out on foot. The rifle is usually carried in the hands or slung over the shoulder whereas my backpack has the weight evenly distributed over my shoulders / back.

In the end its what your comfortable with - with recoil being a product of what calibre your using and rifle weight - or there abouts.

C,
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles