Light weight light recoil close range pig and goat calibre?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Light weight light recoil close range pig and goat calib

Post by Cat Doctor » 04 Apr 2022, 6:14 am

Have you considered the .243 Winchester, it is a very fast round with effective energy and very low recoil.
Cat Doctor
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Apr 2022, 8:44 pm

Rathie wrote:G'day most beautiful people,

As a quick update - the Tikka M55 in 6mmTCU is shooting very well. On trips to Ripley Range have fireformed nearly 200 cases and am now in the process of load development. FWIW fireform loads (when i bothered trying to shoot groups) easily stayed under 1"

OK - have a 20 gauge single barrel on order, but have now got the urge for a light weight and light recoil short range srub rifle for goats, piggs and the occasional fallow for use in the NSW New England tablelands. Those who familiar with the area know there can be long walks in very rough and steep country. Average shot is probably 25-50 metres and a long shot would be 150 metres.

Looking for a short bolt action (CZ 527, Howa Mini etc), short barrel (20") in a low recoiling cartridge.

I would prefer factory this time - one wildcat in the family is enough. Would consider a common wildcat if cases easy to make/procure.

Started my thinking with 7.62x39 - but there is not much in the way of projectile choice for reloading. Have thought about 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC II - would rather a bigger calibre and be a minimum of 7mm (but 6.8 SPC still interesting). 7mmBR or 30mmBR is a thought - i think factory cases are available.
By the sounds of things Bloke,,,,,, I'd try the latest release of Shang hai with maybe steel ball bearing ammo.

300 savage looks interesting - though i suspect recoil would be very similar to a 308. I'm fine with 308 - but perhaps not on an outfit around 7 pounds.

This will be used by my daughters, visitors to the property etc etc - so id rather put something in their hands they can enjoy and not be afraid to learn to shoot with.

welcome all thoughts and suggestions, cheers rathie
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Apr 2022, 8:55 pm

bigpete wrote:I've seen a skinny,40kg girl happily absorb recoil from my 45-70 double rifle and my 458wm firing full house loads....size has got nothing to do with it ;)

I wholly agree with what your sayin,,, from what I've observed.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Apr 2022, 9:06 pm

SJFT wrote:44mag and 357mag are great for the in close stuff.. but at 150 metres you've got a fair bit of holdover for irregular or new shooters to need to manage (a little over 4Moa or 1.2mils with a 100m zero and over 6moa or just under 2mils with a 50m zero).. I'd be more inclined to look at something like a T3x lite in .243 or 6.5 (under 7 pounds) or a Howa mini action in 7.62x39 or 300AAC Blackout (just over 7).. you'll find it easier to get projectiles to reload the blackout with if you plan to reload.

Or,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe just use some brain cells,,,, and zero yourself at the range that 95% of your shots present at.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 04 Apr 2022, 11:37 pm

A .243 or a .44 mag for the close stuff in the thick scrub on pigs? No contest.

And this was about pigs and goats up close.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by womble » 05 Apr 2022, 3:47 am

Just how big are these pigs and goats where op is at.
How much time and money do you want to waste controlling them.
And he specifically said close range.
Who are these poindexters spending endless hours calculating the perfect load for a scrawny mob of stinky goats.
Some day i will deal with these goats, but first i must have the perfect load.
Just get a shotgun. Then go out to the paddock and knock over the goats. Then just go home.
We’re done here.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 05 Apr 2022, 9:51 am

Get angry.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 05 Apr 2022, 7:50 pm

animalpest wrote:A .243 or a .44 mag for the close stuff in the thick scrub on pigs? No contest.

And this was about pigs and goats up close.

If both rounds are available in the same style of rifle, ie short action carbine which are both suitable for the task, then the .44 mag has less energy at the muzzle than the .243. If by any chance the range happens to open up to 200m then it is very different, with the .243 a long way ahead.

I would pick the .243.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 05 Apr 2022, 11:29 pm

Yep GQshane, the ..243 will have about 1900 ft/lb compared to the .44 having 1700 ft/lb at the muzzle. Nothing that any animal will tell the difference.

The 22/250 has similar muzzle energy (1728 ft/lb) as the .44mag but you wouldn't compare the two at close range on animals 50kg +.

But the bigger hole of the .44 will be the difference. Will the .243 bullet hold up at ankle biting distance, maybe, maybe not, but will a 240gr slug from a .44 do it, I bet my life on it (and have).

Having used both at close range I can tell you that I will trust my life on the the .44 over the .243 at close range every day.

Energy figures are just one part of the equation. And often misunderstood.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by GQshayne » 06 Apr 2022, 7:50 pm

animalpest wrote:Yep GQshane, the ..243 will have about 1900 ft/lb compared to the .44 having 1700 ft/lb at the muzzle. Nothing that any animal will tell the difference.

The 22/250 has similar muzzle energy (1728 ft/lb) as the .44mag but you wouldn't compare the two at close range on animals 50kg +.

But the bigger hole of the .44 will be the difference. Will the .243 bullet hold up at ankle biting distance, maybe, maybe not, but will a 240gr slug from a .44 do it, I bet my life on it (and have).

Having used both at close range I can tell you that I will trust my life on the the .44 over the .243 at close range every day.

Energy figures are just one part of the equation. And often misunderstood.

Yep, and I am no expert either! LOL

My understanding though is that kinetic energy is important, however there will be other factors that will effect actual results. The most obvious I can think of will be projectile construction.

I often read/heard of the supposed benefits of 30 cal stuff for close range pig hunting when I was a young bloke in the 80's. When I was 14 I had a 94 Winchester in 30/30. Good fun to shoot, but when I was 16 I bought a .243 and then never fired the Winchester ever again.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Apr 2022, 9:56 pm

I have taken shotguns into the field, unscoped lever actions etc , and am then aware I must get close for success , and on occasions everything is right under my nose , all good ..... but should a longer shot present for whatever reason I have it covered If im carrying a scoped 243, 270 etc ....they can take care of every situation
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 07 Apr 2022, 6:01 pm

I think the 357mag is one of the best hunting rounds for general hunting at hunting distances in Australia if you want light recoil. Its even legal for all deer in Victoria.

Its seems many people these days choose larger calibre rounds to make up for their inadequacies such as hunting skills, shot placement or simply passing up a shot.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles