Howa mini vs SA questions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa mini vs SA questions

Post by AHobson87 » 25 Jan 2022, 9:26 am

Hey guys n girls. I'm new to shooting and looking at getting my first rifle but I have some questions I'm hoping you all could help me with.
I'm decided on a Howa 1500 in 223 but I'm unsure which the best option is. The mini action seems like good value with the already detachable mag but is the mini action any different to the short action? If you got both in a 20 inch barrel would they perform any different? What would be the benefit of getting the short action (over the mini action) and installing a mag kit?
Also on the barrel length, you can get the mini action in a 16.25 inch barrel. What are the pros and cons comparing it to a 20inch barrel? Is the shorter barrel less accurate?
I will most likely be hunting foxes and bunnies and maybe shooting some target for fun.

Thanks for any help :)

Andrew
AHobson87
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Howa mini vs SA questions

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2022, 11:03 am

Go the 20". The 20" barrel will give higher velocity.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 26 Jan 2022, 12:50 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Go the 20". The 20" barrel will give higher velocity.

And be better on the ears
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2022, 12:57 pm

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Go the 20". The 20" barrel will give higher velocity.

And be better on the ears

:thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 26 Jan 2022, 1:20 pm

Walking through the scrub taking short shots short barrel good. Shooting fixed targets longer barrel good. 16 inch is that good middle ground.

Here is a good Paul Harrell video comparing barrel lengths in the same calibre but different platform as your intended purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z06pAJciuNI
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 26 Jan 2022, 1:44 pm

Funny,I'm not having any problem whatsoever getting through scrub you can't see 20m in and using rifles with 24" barrels....would hate to try and hunt in scrub thick enough to actually warrant a 16" barrel....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Border_Bloke » 26 Jan 2022, 1:57 pm

Ballistics by the inch is a good resource, although other than the .223 it’s mainly pistol calibers. You roughly lose 100 fps for every inch you shorten the barrel;
http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/223rifle.html

This one has a few rifle calibres (but not the 223) including the 45-70, 444, 280AI, 450BM, 460 S&W Mag and 6.5cm;
https://matchgrademachine.com/velocity-testing-thompson-center-barrels/
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2022, 2:38 pm

bigpete wrote:Funny,I'm not having any problem whatsoever getting through scrub you can't see 20m in and using rifles with 24" barrels....would hate to try and hunt in scrub thick enough to actually warrant a 16" barrel....

I just wouldn't bother.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 26 Jan 2022, 2:58 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote:Funny,I'm not having any problem whatsoever getting through scrub you can't see 20m in and using rifles with 24" barrels....would hate to try and hunt in scrub thick enough to actually warrant a 16" barrel....

I just wouldn't bother.

How do you think I got this guy ? ;)
Screenshot_20220126-152816_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220126-152816_Gallery.jpg (491.41 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jan 2022, 3:01 pm

The Mini is AR15 length, to feed 2.260" cartridges, the short-action feeds 2.800". Not an issue if you only ever intend to feed it factory ammo.

But you also mentioned target shooting, and if you want to start loading long VLD and ELD bullets, without being limited to standard cartridge length, then you'll want a bigger magazine and action. Loading a 1.254" 90gn Berger at 2.260" leaves little room in the case for powder. The Howa Mini will apparently feed ammo up to about 2.330" according to what I've seen on forums. I don't know if it has a longer throat to allow even longer cartridges single-loading.

If the twist rate is slower than 8" though, you can't run the longer target bullets anyway.

A standard short-action allows feeding .223 cartridges up to 2.800", leaving the full case capacity for powder, maximising potential velocity, assuming the chamber is throated long enough - my rifle lets me load 80gn ELDM at 2.450" as the throat is around 1.925" (where the rifling starts to impinge on the bullet). One day I need to try loading these long bullets at 2.260" just to see how much velocity is lost.

Barrel length is not relevant to accuracy, but barrel length can effect harmonics. A load that shoots well in a 22" barrel may shoot poorly in a 16", and vice versa.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 26 Jan 2022, 4:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:The Mini is AR15 length, to feed 2.260" cartridges, the short-action feeds 2.800". Not an issue if you only ever intend to feed it factory ammo.

But you also mentioned target shooting, and if you want to start loading long VLD and ELD bullets, without being limited to standard cartridge length, then you'll want a bigger magazine and action. Loading a 1.254" 90gn Berger at 2.260" leaves little room in the case for powder. The Howa Mini will apparently feed ammo up to about 2.330" according to what I've seen on forums. I don't know if it has a longer throat to allow even longer cartridges single-loading.

If the twist rate is slower than 8" though, you can't run the longer target bullets anyway.

A standard short-action allows feeding .223 cartridges up to 2.800", leaving the full case capacity for powder, maximising potential velocity, assuming the chamber is throated long enough - my rifle lets me load 80gn ELDM at 2.450" as the throat is around 1.925" (where the rifling starts to impinge on the bullet). One day I need to try loading these long bullets at 2.260" just to see how much velocity is lost.

Barrel length is not relevant to accuracy, but barrel length can effect harmonics. A load that shoots well in a 22" barrel may shoot poorly in a 16", and vice versa.

Hey mate, what is the maximum length of 223 bullet (grains better) that the mini will shoot?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2022, 4:38 pm

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

I just wouldn't bother.

Unusual for a farm to have scrub that thick
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jan 2022, 4:40 pm

Tubs wrote:
bladeracer wrote:The Mini is AR15 length, to feed 2.260" cartridges, the short-action feeds 2.800". Not an issue if you only ever intend to feed it factory ammo.

Hey mate, what is the maximum length of 223 bullet (grains better) that the mini will shoot?

Maximum bullet length will be dependent on barrel twist-rate. Cleaver lists a Mini with 8"-twist, but if that's all the .223's, or if it's accurate data I don't know.

8"-twist shoots bullets up to around 1.180" in length, the long-80gn to short-90gn region.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jan 2022, 4:43 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

I just wouldn't bother.

We have lots of almost impassible bush on our properties. Places you have to crawl on hands and knees to get through. Lots of blackberry in there too making some places very uninviting to explore. Nothing in there to hunt though, just foxes and an occasional rabbit. Plenty of wombats, echidna, Koalas, possums, wallabys and roos.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 26 Jan 2022, 5:01 pm

The Mini Action has a shorter chamber and bolt than the Short Action. This theoretically makes the bolt quicker to cycle, but you might not notice a huge difference in practice.

I've seen various reports that the Mini Action is prone to unexpectedly dropping the magazine if you're not careful with keeping your hands or other objects clear of the sensitive magazine release.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 26 Jan 2022, 5:05 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

I just wouldn't bother.

Not really in this area its not
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jan 2022, 5:12 pm

jwai86 wrote:The Mini Action has a shorter chamber and bolt than the Short Action. This theoretically makes the bolt quicker to cycle, but you might not notice a huge difference in practice.

I've seen various reports that the Mini Action is prone to unexpectedly dropping the magazine if you're not careful with keeping your hands or other objects clear of the sensitive magazine release.

Chamber is the same, the chamber is where the cartridge goes to be fired. The action length (Mini, short, long and magnum) is the opening between the bolt face and the breech face of the barrel. A cartridge held against the bolt by the extractor needs that distance for the live round to be ejected.

You could hand feed longer cartridges into a shorter action, but if you need to extract a live round, you might have to remove the bolt to get enough room for the cartridge to be ejected.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 26 Jan 2022, 5:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:
jwai86 wrote:The Mini Action has a shorter chamber and bolt than the Short Action. This theoretically makes the bolt quicker to cycle, but you might not notice a huge difference in practice.

Chamber is the same, the chamber is where the cartridge goes to be fired. The action length (Mini, short, long and magnum) is the opening between the bolt face and the breech face of the barrel. A cartridge held against the bolt by the extractor needs that distance for the live round to be ejected.

You could hand feed longer cartridges into a shorter action, but if you need to extract a live round, you might have to remove the bolt to get enough room for the cartridge to be ejected.

I quoted what was on the OSA website, but OK.

https://www.osaaustralia.com.au/product ... n-sporter/
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jan 2022, 5:36 pm

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I quoted what was on the OSA website, but OK.

https://www.osaaustralia.com.au/product ... n-sporter/

Having seen the Superlite blurb from Howa their incomprehesion of basic firearm information doesn't surprise me at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 26 Jan 2022, 8:00 pm

jwai86 you will love the short throw on a Howa mini, makes it really easy to handle and cycle. Its a superior action to the old Sako L46 & L461 and with drop-in trigger springs available for only $22 no other mods are necessary. You get use to the magazine set up and but you need to be firm and feel for the positive click for the engagement with the latch, when I'm at the range I tap it up with my hand and I can hear it. You can also trim the magazine latch so there is less protrusion so that its impossible to bump and release your magazine. I've trimmed the latch on all 3 mini's I've owned

Another positive of the Mini mags is they feed everything without issue, super short or long projectiles. The 223, 6.5 Grendel and 6mm ARC all feed like butter, thou I tend to single feed when at the range.

Talley alloy rings are the best for the Mini, not only do they keep weight down but they will never lever ring marks unlike many of the steel rings out there :thumbsup:

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/pro ... pe-mounts/
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jan 2022, 9:46 pm

Bill wrote:

jwai86 you will love the short throw on a Howa mini, makes it really easy to handle and cycle. Its a superior action to the old Sako L46 & L461 and with drop-in trigger springs available for only $22 no other mods are necessary. You get use to the magazine set up and but you need to be firm and feel for the positive click for the engagement with the latch, when I'm at the range I tap it up with my hand and I can hear it. You can also trim the magazine latch so there is less protrusion so that its impossible to bump and release your magazine. I've trimmed the latch on all 3 mini's I've owned

Another positive of the Mini mags is they feed everything without issue, super short or long projectiles. The 223, 6.5 Grendel and 6mm ARC all feed like butter, thou I tend to single feed when at the range.

Talley alloy rings are the best for the Mini, not only do they keep weight down but they will never lever ring marks unlike many of the steel rings out there :thumbsup:

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/pro ... pe-mounts/

Good stuff, Bill.
Can you tell us your throat length for future reference? What ogive length will your rifle chamber?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 27 Jan 2022, 10:18 am

No idea on throat length blade racer for the 6mm ARC as it's rather generous, it's been optimised for the long 105, 108gr high BC pills.

I'm favouring the shorter 90gr BT and 90gr Lapua scenar and using hornady factory oal settings with good accuracy. :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jan 2022, 11:56 am

Bill wrote:No idea on throat length blade racer for the 6mm ARC as it's rather generous, it's been optimised for the long 105, 108gr high BC pills.

I'm favouring the shorter 90gr BT and 90gr Lapua scenar and using hornady factory oal settings with good accuracy. :drinks:

So you can shoot cartridges that are significantly longer than mag length with these VLD/ELD bullets?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AHobson87 » 29 Jan 2022, 3:47 pm

Thanks for all the info guys! Much appreciated :)
AHobson87
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 01 Feb 2022, 6:31 am

I would be getting the one with the floor plate and not the detachable magazine.
The magazine can easily fall out. This is a pain because you gotta buy a new one, who knows where you lost the old one. The problem can be partially fixed by filing down the large mag release button/lever on the Howa.
This is the only issue with the Howa, in saying that, it's only a minor annoyance. These rifles shoot great and nothing breaks on them. You are making a very good decision to get a Howa.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 01 Feb 2022, 6:58 am

It's possible the carbine may be "girthier" at the muzzle compared with the 24" rifle - idk, but perhaps worth investigating if you'll be casually punching paper at modest distances. At close range such a property may yield at better benchrest group.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles