Imaginative rifle...

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Imaginative rifle...

Post by bigpete » 28 Jan 2022, 8:06 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:A phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range... or bigger

Beat me to it ! Lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by disco stu » 29 Jan 2022, 10:45 am

I've pondered electronic ignition. At least we wouldn't have the primer issue then!
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jan 2022, 1:00 pm

disco stu wrote:I've pondered electronic ignition. At least we wouldn't have the primer issue then!

Remington made an electrically-fired rifle years ago, the EtronX, was even harder to find primers for :-)

I've also wondered about electrically igniting the powder charge without requiring a primer, but I have no real idea of how to go about it without redesigning the firearm and ammo from scratch.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jan 2022, 1:33 pm

All the crims and bikies have to have imaginary rifles because they are not allowed to have real ones , I’m amused by their predicament and have no sympathy for them ....they chose their mates and will struggle for quite a while to get licences no matter how much they try to clean up their act
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 29 Jan 2022, 1:48 pm

Blr243 wrote:All the crims and bikies have to have imaginary rifles because they are not allowed to have real ones , I’m amused by their predicament and have no sympathy for them ....they chose their mates and will struggle for quite a while to get licences no matter how much they try to clean up their act

Bikies wouldn't waste their time with a licence. There is an estimated 1 million unregistered firearms in the federation with an unregistered 9x19mm Glock being worth about the same price as a legal one and some Beretta pistols worth even cheaper than a registered one.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/guns ... ncy-2021-3
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Jan 2022, 8:09 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
Blr243 wrote:All the crims and bikies have to have imaginary rifles because they are not allowed to have real ones , I’m amused by their predicament and have no sympathy for them ....they chose their mates and will struggle for quite a while to get licences no matter how much they try to clean up their act

Bikies wouldn't waste their time with a licence. There is an estimated 1 million unregistered firearms in the federation with an unregistered 9x19mm Glock being worth about the same price as a legal one and some Beretta pistols worth even cheaper than a registered one.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/guns ... ncy-2021-3

I had no idea that legal Glocks and Beretta pistols were worth around 10k :allegedly:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 30 Jan 2022, 6:20 am

How are we dealing with this problem ?

Oh wait…
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 30 Jan 2022, 6:27 am

Ok my gun for today.
I’s black. It’s modular. Interchangeable everything, quick release EVERYTHING.
M-lok picatinny i dont care. I want to be able to snap on a fishing reel and a telescopic rod and a freaking fish finder where the scope sits.
I want a gun that can handle pigs in the scrub and barramundi in the rivers. Stainless and synthetic EVERYTHING
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 30 Jan 2022, 7:59 am

bladeracer wrote:
disco stu wrote:I've pondered electronic ignition. At least we wouldn't have the primer issue then!

Remington made an electrically-fired rifle years ago, the EtronX, was even harder to find primers for :-)

I've also wondered about electrically igniting the powder charge without requiring a primer, but I have no real idea of how to go about it without redesigning the firearm and ammo from scratch.

I had a read a little about EtronX but not a great deal. Needing special primers is certainly a downfall.

In my mind I pictured something more akin to a spark plug (no, not an actual spark plug) instead of primer, but then I gathered that ignition of powder wasn't that easy after reading about a guy who tried igniting powder with spark. My hope was that you wouldn't need to change primers, removing one consumable from a round. Obviously ways of doing it given the metal storm gun.

Instead, I'll just take a rail gun out hunting
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 30 Jan 2022, 1:01 pm

Igniting current powders with a hot filament is quite doable.

A "primer" that consisted of a 0.5mm graphite rod in contact with the powder will become white hot if you run 12-14v across it.

I know this because waaaaay back in my youth a friend and I found some blank ammo in a state forest that the Army had left behind and we set several of them off with a mechanical pencil lead held between two bits of phone wire pushed down the neck and re crimped with pliers and set off with a battery.

For use in a rifle you would just have to repackage it into a primer shaped package and the case would need to allow the powder to sit against the filament.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 30 Jan 2022, 3:53 pm

Ahh seriously I am surprised. No one has truly mentone something..... revolutionary
Like a rifle that shoots layers. Or a rifle that shoots ammo that track the target and hit it.

Or the best rifle, get those wank3rs who can't shoot to be able to shut their trap
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 30 Jan 2022, 4:20 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:Igniting current powders with a hot filament is quite doable.

A "primer" that consisted of a 0.5mm graphite rod in contact with the powder will become white hot if you run 12-14v across it.

I know this because waaaaay back in my youth a friend and I found some blank ammo in a state forest that the Army had left behind and we set several of them off with a mechanical pencil lead held between two bits of phone wire pushed down the neck and re crimped with pliers and set off with a battery.

For use in a rifle you would just have to repackage it into a primer shaped package and the case would need to allow the powder to sit against the filament.

Interesting Don, cheers. That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Wouldn't be hard at all to implement into standard primer sized package to use in standard cases

I wondered if the time taken for it to heat up would lead to a delay, but increasing voltage and current would possibly get around that being an issue I imagine. I do wonder why this guy who I was watching or reading about didn't try heat like this.

I've wondered also about powder speed and ability to ignite. I gather blanks use really fast powder. Anyone know if faster powders ignite easier?
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 31 Jan 2022, 7:19 am

bladeracer wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:You make it strong enough through the use of heat treated "space age " materials. Cost then becomes your prohibiting factor, not strength. Caseless ammunition is already a fact, and has been for many years but has not crossed over into civilian firearms market

Caseless ammunition does exist, but it hasn't even crossed into military usage, it's a prototype idea that probably can't ever be made to work effectively, at least not before a more useful technology replaces it.

Caseless ammo has been around since the '60's. I think in the '70's H&K made some military rifles for it.
Other than savings on what may be a strategic metal (brass) caseless was found to offer virtually no advantages only drawbacks.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 31 Jan 2022, 11:38 am

Interesting Don, cheers. That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Wouldn't be hard at all to implement into standard primer sized package to use in standard cases

I wondered if the time taken for it to heat up would lead to a delay, but increasing voltage and current would possibly get around that being an issue I imagine. I do wonder why this guy who I was watching or reading about didn't try heat like this.

I've wondered also about powder speed and ability to ignite. I gather blanks use really fast powder. Anyone know if faster powders ignite easier?

[/quote]

The issue is that it probably wouldn't be much cheaper than current primers. Ammunition component costs are up at the moment but I gather it has more to do with overall supply chain issuers and politics than with the inherent cost of manufacturing primers/cases/powder in the way they have been made for well over a hundred years now.

A filament based primer would still be a consumable unit, the filament burns out as it heats up. It might be possible to use a glow plug like they use in diesel engines but you'd need to expose the powder in each cartridge as it was chambered.

As for blanks, as far as I'm aware the ones the Army used were the same powder as standard 5.56 with a reduced load (you can hear the powder moving around in them when you shake them)

With ignition. surface area is a big consideration so smaller grain powders would be easier to ignite with a filament or spark set up, this is why some attempts at caseless ammo have consisted of a small pocket of normal powder inside the large monolithic grain that surrounds the projectile.. If you want an extreme example of powder grain size, google "battleship smokeless powder"
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jan 2022, 12:50 pm

Matt Carriker has a "railgun" that is a "viable" projectile launcher. It fires 280gn steel or iron discs, like coins, at 135fps, with fairly reasonable accuracy, though not a lot of energy - 12ft-lb max. 50rd mag, 2400rpm so a 1.25 second burst.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izW1X2555Wg

Called the E-Shotgun, sold as a toy or training aid, and touted as a non-lethal defensive weapon for riot control and such. The site reads as totally anti-gun though, where the most heinous criminals still deserve to not be killed while carrying out their crimes, based in Chicago.

https://e-shotgun.com/
"The need or willingness to use the device, to deal with danger and self-protection. However, there is a premise for use. We don’t want to cause fatal harm to people."
"E-shotgun is a non-lethal defense system that is focused on protection, not murder. Social violence should be curbed, but not at the cost of living."

I'm not electrically-inclined but I'm sure its power could be boosted :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 31 Jan 2022, 4:44 pm

Looks like ignition temp of smokeless powder is lower than I thought.

My thought was a replacement primer with the ignition source in it. Just stays in the case until it's burnt out or case reaches end of life. Resistance wire wouldn't necessarily be consumed if it ignites at the temps I've read. Or for a while at least

In the way I imagine it, primer wouldn't be consumed so small saving there. But I thought the bigger benefit would be in the trigger and accuracy benefits.

I found this while using a look around. Pretty sure the same guy I read who was stuffing around trying to perfect spark ignition, so looks like that worked. Also covers caseless ammunition

https://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_ex ... _king.html

Saw a photo of some powder "granules" for some 16" gun. Looked to be the size of one of those mini coke cans. Even the smalerl ones I saw were like a centre fire case size. Logical given the size of the projectiles they're shooting, would need very slow "powder"
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 31 Jan 2022, 5:24 pm

InisBineest wrote:If you could design a rifle, one that isn't readily available in Australia, what would you make?
I have a strange taste in rifles so that can think of a few...

My dream would be a revolver carbine that can handle rifle cartridges (223, 308, etc) that has either double or single action, and has system to close the cylinder gap, similar to the Nagant revolver, but without the special case. The only problem is I can't fathom how you could make it strong enough to not blow out. But I like strange things.

A short barreled drilling for more modern cartridges would be nice for hunting too. Like a break open, 3 barreled 223.

The other concept I'd love would be an electronically primed muzzle (or breach) loader suitable for smokeless powder. Would eliminate the need for cases and primers, and could be suitable for target shooting if made well. Not to mention an infinitely adjustable trigger pull. Issue would be ensuring consistent powder loads and bullet seating depth, but I can't see that as insurmountable.

What wacky ideas do you folks have?

Well I managed to my hands on this. I was just a little too big and expensive for my liking. Much prefer my drillings and BBF but if you want a pump action, break open rifle/shotgun they are the ticket.

https://www.innogun.de/en/innogun/hybrid
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 31 Jan 2022, 5:26 pm

bigpete wrote:A triple barrelled 410 with paradox chokes...

You can get a triple barrel 410 mammut from the UK or USA if you want to import. If you want paradox chokes that might be a push but possible. How much do you want to pay?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 31 Jan 2022, 5:28 pm

Border_Bloke wrote:A cheaper bergstutzen would be nice - an U/O with two rifle barrels (and no shotgun barrel). One rifle for sambar / fallow / bunny / fox. Say a rimfire or 22 Hornet over something like a a 358, 35 Whelen, 9.3x74R, 45/70 etc.

Blaser and I think Merkel make bergstutzens in some calibers but they're bloody expensive and nobody imports them.

You can get one. Just put the order in with OSA for blaser or raytrade for Merkel.

Cheap no, but not unobtainable.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 31 Jan 2022, 5:50 pm

mchughcb wrote:
InisBineest wrote:If you could design a rifle, one that isn't readily available in Australia, what would you make?
I have a strange taste in rifles so that can think of a few...

My dream would be a revolver carbine that can handle rifle cartridges (223, 308, etc) that has either double or single action, and has system to close the cylinder gap, similar to the Nagant revolver, but without the special case. The only problem is I can't fathom how you could make it strong enough to not blow out. But I like strange things.

A short barreled drilling for more modern cartridges would be nice for hunting too. Like a break open, 3 barreled 223.

The other concept I'd love would be an electronically primed muzzle (or breach) loader suitable for smokeless powder. Would eliminate the need for cases and primers, and could be suitable for target shooting if made well. Not to mention an infinitely adjustable trigger pull. Issue would be ensuring consistent powder loads and bullet seating depth, but I can't see that as insurmountable.

What wacky ideas do you folks have?

Well I managed to my hands on this. I was just a little too big and expensive for my liking. Much prefer my drillings and BBF but if you want a pump action, break open rifle/shotgun they are the ticket.

Never knew this was a thing! Looks amazing!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jan 2022, 6:08 pm

mchughcb wrote:Well I managed to my hands on this. I was just a little too big and expensive for my liking. Much prefer my drillings and BBF but if you want a pump action, break open rifle/shotgun they are the ticket.

That is pretty amazing, but so is the price tag - it starts at E5240, or about A$8500.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 31 Jan 2022, 7:31 pm

bladeracer wrote:Matt Carriker has a "railgun" that is a "viable" projectile launcher. It fires 280gn steel or iron discs, like coins, at 135fps, with fairly reasonable accuracy, though not a lot of energy - 12ft-lb max. 50rd mag, 2400rpm so a 1.25 second burst.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izW1X2555Wg

Called the E-Shotgun, sold as a toy or training aid, and touted as a non-lethal defensive weapon for riot control and such. The site reads as totally anti-gun though, where the most heinous criminals still deserve to not be killed while carrying out their crimes, based in Chicago.

https://e-shotgun.com/
"The need or willingness to use the device, to deal with danger and self-protection. However, there is a premise for use. We don’t want to cause fatal harm to people."
"E-shotgun is a non-lethal defense system that is focused on protection, not murder. Social violence should be curbed, but not at the cost of living."

I'm not electrically-inclined but I'm sure its power could be boosted :-)

I freaking want one! :D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 31 Jan 2022, 8:38 pm

InisBineest wrote:

Was just too unwieldly to be honest. There was a smaller pump only model and I liked that better.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 01 Feb 2022, 9:06 am

mchughcb wrote:
InisBineest wrote:

Was just too unwieldly to be honest. There was a smaller pump only model and I liked that better.

Agreed, but I rather like unusual rifles all the same, even if they are a little less than practical:)
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Border_Bloke » 01 Feb 2022, 3:07 pm

Ian McCollum showed a few interesting custom made combination rifles which would be interesting:
Mauser 98 with underbarrel shotgun: https://youtu.be/B2WCpXgGM50
Mauser 7x57 with underbarrel .22 RF: https://youtu.be/1KAtx-Zv9jg
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Tassiebloke » 18 Aug 2023, 6:26 pm

Border_Bloke wrote:A cheaper bergstutzen would be nice - an U/O with two rifle barrels (and no shotgun barrel). One rifle for sambar / fallow / bunny / fox. Say a rimfire or 22 Hornet over something like a a 358, 35 Whelen, 9.3x74R, 45/70 etc.

Blaser and I think Merkel make bergstutzens in some calibers but they're bloody expensive and nobody imports them.

from memory, OSA do
Tassiebloke
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles