9 Hole Reviews - M96 Swede

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 9 Hole Reviews - M96 Swede

Post by in2anity » 14 Feb 2022, 7:34 am

Tubs wrote:The rifle feels much handier without the scope to be honest. Aside from saving what 450g in scope and rings overall it just feels better balanced. I am yet to shoot it properly due to a lack of ammo, but Im looking forward to getting some away next time. I called up the gunsmith for some advice regarding removal of the brake but he couldnt remember. Im going to try a red dot and magnifier next time, my yum cha version will arrive in a few days. so will see how accurate it is in comparison.

They point well don't they. That peep's gonna work extremely well Tubs; do you have the carbine or full length? I haven't shot a match with mine yet but I can tell it's gonna be accurate from offhand. Nice long sight radius and not atrociously heavy. Feels better balanced than my HB No4 and m17. The only catch is for me is that it's advisable to stick to the one gun for 3-p Service Rifle. The bigger comps permit only a single rifle as well.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 14 Feb 2022, 8:05 am

in2anity wrote:
Tubs wrote:The rifle feels much handier without the scope to be honest. Aside from saving what 450g in scope and rings overall it just feels better balanced. I am yet to shoot it properly due to a lack of ammo, but Im looking forward to getting some away next time. I called up the gunsmith for some advice regarding removal of the brake but he couldnt remember. Im going to try a red dot and magnifier next time, my yum cha version will arrive in a few days. so will see how accurate it is in comparison.

They point well don't they. That peep's gonna work extremely well Tubs; do you have the carbine or full length? I haven't shot a match with mine yet but I can tell it's gonna be accurate from offhand. Nice long sight radius and not atrociously heavy. Feels better balanced than my HB No4 and m17. The only catch is for me is that it's advisable to stick to the one gun for 3-p Service Rifle. The bigger comps permit only a single rifle as well.

Prev owner took a full length M38, shorted the barrel to 19 inches, put sights, a forward pic rail and a brake on it. Tempted to remove the brake but havent yet decided. I think this gun is designed to be shot iron sights for sure. Without the bolt is 3kg so pretty light. Would be lighter by about 300g without the brake i reckon. Great calibre, hardly any recoil!
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 14 Feb 2022, 8:15 am

Tubs wrote:Prev owner took a full length M38, shorted the barrel to 19 inches, put sights, a forward pic rail and a brake on it. Tempted to remove the brake but havent yet decided. I think this gun is designed to be shot iron sights for sure. Without the bolt is 3kg so pretty light. Would be lighter by about 300g without the brake i reckon. Great calibre, hardly any recoil!

Oh wow yes amazing - a real carbine then! Yeah sounds like it's designed to be as light and quick as possible. It's good you have the rear sight on the rear bridge then, for the added sight radius. I have a m95 Spaniard cavalry like that, with the lyman peep.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 14 Feb 2022, 8:28 am

in2anity wrote:
Tubs wrote:Prev owner took a full length M38, shorted the barrel to 19 inches, put sights, a forward pic rail and a brake on it. Tempted to remove the brake but havent yet decided. I think this gun is designed to be shot iron sights for sure. Without the bolt is 3kg so pretty light. Would be lighter by about 300g without the brake i reckon. Great calibre, hardly any recoil!

Oh wow yes amazing - a real carbine then! Yeah sounds like it's designed to be as light and quick as possible. It's good you have the rear sight on the rear bridge then, for the added sight radius. I have a m95 Spaniard cavalry like that, with the lyman peep.

Which would be more accurate do you think, a peep or a 2MOA red dot?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 14 Feb 2022, 8:36 am

Tubs wrote:Which would be more accurate do you think, a peep or a 2MOA red dot?

With such a short sight radius the red dot is going to be a fair bit easier to use. As some context, I can group my 19" cavalry into around 3moa at 100m, from slung prone - but sh!t it requires some intense concentration, very fatiguing. Comparitvely, the red dots are no-brainers.

here it is https://youtu.be/_27r6UwSwMA
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 14 Feb 2022, 9:38 am

in2anity wrote:
Tubs wrote:Which would be more accurate do you think, a peep or a 2MOA red dot?

With such a short sight radius the red dot is going to be a fair bit easier to use. As some context, I can group my 19" cavalry into around 3moa at 100m, from slung prone - but sh!t it requires some intense concentration, very fatiguing. Comparitvely, the red dots are no-brainers.

here it is https://youtu.be/_27r6UwSwMA

Ive ordered a cheapy Chinese Red Dot and magnifier. I think the magnifier has ****** eye relief though, not sure
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2022, 9:59 am

Tubs wrote:
in2anity wrote:

Which would be more accurate do you think, a peep or a 2MOA red dot?

Peep, even on my lever actions I can't get the red-dot or reflex fights to group as well as the aperture sights.
But in the field, trying to find that furry creature in the shadows, or get a bead on the fox dashing through the deep grass, with a small aperture can be very difficult.

Is the scope mount "see-through", or do you have to pop the scope off to use the aperture? It looks like the common rail design that stays attached to the rear sight base?

I would just use the scope for load development, and remove it for general use. The scope is not large or heavy so I would use QD rings, carry it in a pouch, and pop it on when needed. 90mm PVC rainwater pipe can be shaped with heat to make a protective case for it. If you find you can use the scout scope in the field just use the aperture for fun and for backup. These rifles are very accurate so it's nice to have the option of putting the scope on when you come over a hill and see a fox strolling across the paddock 200m away, or a pack of pigs or goats even further out. Be sure to check that your mount does hold zero first though, shoot a last group for the day and dismount the scope. Next time you go out, mount the scope, shoot a group and confirm it's still zeroed.

Actually, the mount appears to be a rail screwed onto the barrel, not one of the "no drill" mounts that fit into the rear sight base. It should retain zero fine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2022, 10:05 am

Tubs wrote:Ive ordered a cheapy Chinese Red Dot and magnifier. I think the magnifier has ****** eye relief though, not sure

Is there enough length in the rail for two optics?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 14 Feb 2022, 10:08 am

bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:Ive ordered a cheapy Chinese Red Dot and magnifier. I think the magnifier has ****** eye relief though, not sure

Is there enough length in the rail for two optics?

yeppers
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles