Marlin 336 with Micro-Groove bullets stable?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Marlin 336 with Micro-Groove bullets stable?

Post by Spoons01 » 14 Feb 2022, 6:44 pm

Hi all, first post on here.

I was wondering if there's anyone out there who has had issues with the old marlin 336's with the micro groove rifling and stablizing Factory .30-30? so far i've only taken it to the range once (it's my first rifle and i can't get out to the range often), but every single round i put through it tumbled, keyholed and went all over the target at 25-50m, i put 18 rounds of Winchester SuperX 150gr HP through it as well as 5 rounds of Hornady Leverevolution 160gr FTX just to see if there was a difference. I know it's not a lot of information but hopefully someone can give me some guidence on whether this may be a simple ammo issue or something with the rifle.

My rifle is a JM stamped Marlin .336SC in .30-30 and made in 1960.
Spoons01
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Marlin 336 with Micro-Groove bullets stable?

Post by bigpete » 19 Feb 2022, 8:49 pm

I'd suggest the barrel.is rooted
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 19 Feb 2022, 8:58 pm

Sounds a bit strange, I had a 60s micro groove Marlin and it would put 3 x 150gr into a dime a 100m. Either you need to get some else to shoot it or its rooted
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 19 Feb 2022, 9:21 pm

I won’t be firing very well either when I turn 62
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 19 Feb 2022, 9:25 pm

Bill wrote:Sounds a bit strange, I had a 60s micro groove Marlin and it would put 3 x 150gr into a dime a 100m. Either you need to get some else to shoot it or its rooted

If the pills are tumbling it won't matter who shoots it.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 Feb 2022, 10:28 pm

Spoons01 wrote:Hi all, first post on here.

I was wondering if there's anyone out there who has had issues with the old marlin 336's with the micro groove rifling and stablizing Factory .30-30? so far i've only taken it to the range once (it's my first rifle and i can't get out to the range often), but every single round i put through it tumbled, keyholed and went all over the target at 25-50m, i put 18 rounds of Winchester SuperX 150gr HP through it as well as 5 rounds of Hornady Leverevolution 160gr FTX just to see if there was a difference. I know it's not a lot of information but hopefully someone can give me some guidence on whether this may be a simple ammo issue or something with the rifle.

Something very wrong there, even Microgroove should stabilise jacketed bullets just fine.
Is the muzzle fine? Hasn't been shortened with a hacksaw?
Does the .30-30 bullet just barely fit into the muzzle? Maybe it's not a .30-30?
I generally see tumbling if the bullets are under-size.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 19 Feb 2022, 10:28 pm

First rifle 25-50 range have you shot much before next time at the range try shooting of a rest and bag you can hire at most range,s can I suggest for you next rifle a .22 that you can shoot a few thousand a week
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Spoons01 » 19 Feb 2022, 10:45 pm

Something very wrong there, even Microgroove should stabilise jacketed bullets just fine.
Is the muzzle fine? Hasn't been shortened with a hacksaw?
Does the .30-30 bullet just barely fit into the muzzle? Maybe it's not a .30-30?
I generally see tumbling if the bullets are under-size.[/quote]

Muzzle/crown are fine, it seems to be factory length with no modifications, haven't tested a .30-30 bullet in the muzzle and it's definitely chambered in .30-30. I've also checked the barrel and the rifling looks perfect as far as i can tell.
Spoons01
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Spoons01 » 19 Feb 2022, 10:48 pm

pomemax wrote:First rifle 25-50 range have you shot much before next time at the range try shooting of a rest and bag you can hire at most range,s can I suggest for you next rifle a .22 that you can shoot a few thousand a week

I've shot a decent amount before, I've been hunting/shooting for about 2 years just haven't owned a rifle until now, whilst I'm not the best shot around it's not me, the bullets were tumbling and going through the target sideways
Spoons01
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 Feb 2022, 12:32 am

Spoons01 wrote:Muzzle/crown are fine, it seems to be factory length with no modifications, haven't tested a .30-30 bullet in the muzzle and it's definitely chambered in .30-30. I've also checked the barrel and the rifling looks perfect as far as i can tell.

I don't have any other ideas just now, but I hope you let us know if you find the cause.
Last edited by bladeracer on 20 Feb 2022, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 20 Feb 2022, 10:16 am

Spoons01 wrote:Hi all, first post on here.

Marlin microgroove barrels from that era were noted for excellent accuracy so there must be a reason for the issues you are experiencing.
You must understand that bullet holes all over the target and keyholeing can be due to two unrelated issues especially at such a close target range.
I assume you understand what keyholing is: that is the bullet going sideways through the target.
I also assume that you have the original factory barrel with original factory stampings telling you it is 30-30 cal. and not 32 Win Special and you have tried pushing a bullet into the muzzle as others have suggested but without success.
First thing is to inspect the barrel.
Open the action until you feel the bolt reach round about the half cock position. Unscrew the lever pivot and pull it out. Pull out the lever and the bolt. Don't lose the ejector.
Clean the barrel. Look down the barrel to see if there are any "rings" or bulges.
If there are none and the rifling looks generally OK, (don't worry if there is a bit of pitting or other marks), the barrel is not the problem.
A barrel can look quite ugly and still shoot OK.
Next step is to look down and center the bore on the target by setting up the rifle securely on some form of rest but preferably in padded jaws of a solid vice. Now compare where the scope is pointing in relation to where the barrel is pointing. If the scope is pointing a long way above the target then you have your answer.
Even if you happened to have a very loose barrel or even a 32 cal barrel the bullets would be unlikely to keyhole at such a short range but accuracy would be poor.
I suspect your keyholeing could be due to ricocheting because of a badly set up scope. Understand that the scope would have to be set such that the barrel is pointing down quite a lot in relation to the line of sight.
IF that is the case then take the opportunity to rectify before reassembling but when you do remember to position the ejector in the receiver first.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 20 Feb 2022, 11:04 am

pomemax wrote:First rifle 25-50 range have you shot much before next time at the range try shooting of a rest and bag you can hire at most range,s can I suggest for you next rifle a .22 that you can shoot a few thousand a week

How does practice stop a bullet tumbling.?
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 20 Feb 2022, 11:38 am

deanp100 wrote:

Yeah.....it doesn't....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Feb 2022, 2:39 pm

I'd be slugging the bore.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 20 Feb 2022, 2:47 pm

you will find many of the 3030 marlins are bigger then 30cal put the round in the front
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 20 Feb 2022, 3:42 pm

straightshooter wrote:I suspect your keyholeing could be due to ricocheting because of a badly set up scope. Understand that the scope would have to be set such that the barrel is pointing down quite a lot in relation to the line of sight.
IF that is the case then take the opportunity to rectify before reassembling but when you do remember to position the ejector in the receiver first.

A very good point if the target is close to the ground.
I have had Carcano bullets hit the target after bouncing off the ground when I was trying to get it to shoot lighter .264" bullets.

I'm still convinced this must be an issue of the bullet not fitting the bore, most likely because it's not a .30-30.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Feb 2022, 4:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:
straightshooter wrote:I suspect your keyholeing could be due to ricocheting because of a badly set up scope. Understand that the scope would have to be set such that the barrel is pointing down quite a lot in relation to the line of sight.

A very good point if the target is close to the ground.
I have had Carcano bullets hit the target after bouncing off the ground when I was trying to get it to shoot lighter .264" bullets.

I'm still convinced this must be an issue of the bullet not fitting the bore, most likely because it's not a .30-30.

Bouncing off the ground seems possible, but unlikely to me.

Wrong ammo seems more likely.

Wasn't the parent cartridge of the .375 Winchester the .30-30?? Just a thought.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Feb 2022, 4:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:A very good point if the target is close to the ground.

Bouncing off the ground seems possible, but unlikely to me.

Wrong ammo seems more likely.

Wasn't the parent cartridge of the .375 Winchester the .30-30?? Just a thought.

Mine weren't richochets, they were just bouncing due to the extremely low velocity from not sealing the bore, like 700fps and less. If this .30-30 is chambered for any of the .30-30 based cartridges, most likely the .32, that would explain the bullets falling out the muzzle. I can't think of any other potential cause.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Feb 2022, 5:08 pm

Not exactly, parent case for the .30-30 was the .38-55. The .375 Winchester is in reality just a +P version of that original cartridge, they are .010" shorter and are thicker in the case walls. They will fit but they should never be chambered in an old .38-55 rifle for obvious reasons. The Model 94 " Big-Bore " Winchesters they designed for the .375W cartridge had a beefed up action to handle the higher pressure.
Question for the O.P, what do the cases look like after firing?
There was a move in the U.S in the late 60's early '70"s to re-bore and re-chamber .30-30's to .38-55Win as no "new" rifles where being chambered for it at that time, although it is a big change, I'm pretty sure you would notice your cases coming out with a straight wall after firing...
I have two .30-30's that have been done, one was done by P.O Ackley himself.
.32 Winchester Special is another possibility for a rebore/rechamber job.
P.S. Re-chambered /bored rifles are usually stamped to that effect, although it is not guaranteed.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 21 Feb 2022, 11:35 am

deanp100 wrote:

Not at all but if your going to the range a .22 and a few rounds sent down range mellows you out a bit I find.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles