Where in Australia could you use .50 BMG?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Where in Australia could you use .50 BMG?

Post by jwai86 » 19 Feb 2022, 9:44 am

Magnum Sports in Sydney has a Steyr HS50 .50 BMG rifle advertised for $12,500. Somebody at my club joked that he wanted to get one just because.

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/400162/

Assuming that you had the dough to purchase and feed it, where in Australia would you be able to use such a monstrosity?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Where in Australia could you use .50 BMG?

Post by duncan61 » 19 Feb 2022, 10:21 am

I have a silver eye finch problem in my backyard. When I bought home the 7mm Remington Sendero that is what the farmer asked me if I had bought it for.Because you can would be a good reason there is a range at Ella Valla that caters for 50 BMG.You could set up on a cliff in Arnhem land and thin out scrub bulls and buffs.I believe there is an International competition in 50 BMG as well
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Feb 2022, 11:00 am

Any back lane in SW Sydney/Campbelltown, apparently
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 19 Feb 2022, 11:02 am

Can shoot 50bmg at my local SSAA range at eagle park. The hard part is getting a permit approved. You likely need to be a member of an ELR sub club.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Feb 2022, 11:17 am

Seriously though, SSAA Long Range Precision shoot 22 to 50BMG, I know many NSW shooters use Mildura (Cardross) for Long Range. Here in Vic we can use them at SSAA Eagle Park also, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Feb 2022, 4:13 pm

What ever happened to our resident big bore shooter, he hasn't been on here for ages (since 22 Dec 2020, 12:50 according to his profile) Brett1868, he was such a good bloke, I hope he's ok
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 Feb 2022, 5:16 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Seriously though, SSAA Long Range Precision shoot 22 to 50BMG, I know many NSW shooters use Mildura (Cardross) for Long Range. Here in Vic we can use them at SSAA Eagle Park also, Cheers

Does that mean we can only licence them for club use?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 19 Feb 2022, 5:34 pm

I get enough dirty looks from my lap mag. I'm sure a 50 gets you sent down past the leper colony at eagle park.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 19 Feb 2022, 6:02 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:What ever happened to our resident big bore shooter, he hasn't been on here for ages (since 22 Dec 2020, 12:50 according to his profile) Brett1868, he was such a good bloke, I hope he's ok

He went to that other group run by juststarting
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Feb 2022, 6:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:Seriously though, SSAA Long Range Precision shoot 22 to 50BMG, I know many NSW shooters use Mildura (Cardross) for Long Range. Here in Vic we can use them at SSAA Eagle Park also, Cheers

Not strictly as such bladeracer,
LRD will only issue a PTA for 50 BMG under certain parameters, one of which is membership of a Club that uses the caliber in competition. The Regs do not prohibit using it on private or approved public land for any Cat B accepted use, nor does it require comp attendance. The usual caveats of awareness of fallout zones applies more to such an energetic cartridge of course. No restrictions apply to derivative cartridges like the Chey-Tac's, 416 Barrett or McMurdo of course, as only the term 50 Browning Machine Gun terrify the Public Service Cretins, like Colt 45 Automatic or Pump Action Shotgun scare them.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Feb 2022, 7:21 pm

bigpete wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:What ever happened to our resident big bore shooter, he hasn't been on here for ages (since 22 Dec 2020, 12:50 according to his profile) Brett1868, he was such a good bloke, I hope he's ok

Thanks BP, I vaguely remember JS starting a new forum whatever it was. It's a shame brett doesn't pop in here now and then.

How could I forget this viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11736
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 19 Feb 2022, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Feb 2022, 7:31 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Typically, however I have heard of the odd person who has been granted hunting with 338 lap and .50 bmg because they lived on massive stations and could satisfy the registry.

Exploding donkeys from 1k , mutable pigs with a single shot, all that kind of ethical stuff.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 19 Feb 2022, 8:11 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bigpete wrote:

Thanks BP, I vaguely remember JS starting a new forum whatever it was. It's a shame brett doesn't pop in here now and then.

I was on there for a bit but JS is a power tripping twat
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Feb 2022, 8:48 pm

I remember he ruffled my feathers a few times, but my my school yard comeback tactics usually left me having the last laugh :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 20 Feb 2022, 7:55 am

jwai86 wrote:Magnum Sports in Sydney has a Steyr HS50 .50 BMG rifle advertised for $12,500. Somebody at my club joked that he wanted to get one just because.

Assuming that you had the dough to purchase and feed it, where in Australia would you be able to use such a monstrosity?

I think I would find a better use for $12,500 than buy some long range bunny gun with mighty expensive ammo. Still for those that want and can afford it, good luck to them.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 20 Feb 2022, 8:43 am

How far can you shoot at Mildura and Eagle Park?
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 Feb 2022, 2:29 pm

bigpete wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
bigpete wrote:

I was on there for a bit but JS is a power tripping twat

Brett is active on shooting groups on FB so perhaps he just got bored with forums overall. JS is on FB as well (under his real name of course). Don't know about Ben as I never got to know him.

As far as I know I'm still a member but haven't had any email notifications for years, no idea if it still exists.
I didn't have any particular problem there but it seemed an entirely pointless exercise driven by a handful of individuals that allowed themselves to get butthurt over (apparently) a handful of comments here. Spite is not what I would consider a relevant reason to create a forum. I never ever saw any of the comments here that they claimed (in private discussion when I asked the raison d'être for the new forum) occurred to upset them, so I don't know if they actually occurred and were removed (as you would hope any forum would manage), or if they had private issues with members rather than public. At least one member took huge effort to go through hundreds and hundreds of his posts here and delete each one, although where he was quoted his comments still exist. I see no logical reasoning behind doing this, which left me wondering about his state of mind overall. It seemed to me an attempt to expunge his comments from the historical record, and that is never a good sign. Perhaps he just wanted to remove any of his own useful comment from being of benefit to users of this forum, again, spite is not a good frame of mind for sound decision making. I had a vague feeling that a small group here were essentially having their own "forum" via private messaging, and decided another forum would work better. If that was their purpose then I hope it worked well for them.

JS did ask for my feedback on the reloading program he was building (I'm sure he asked lots of people), but I found it unwieldy and complex, as if it had been built by a programmer rather than a reloader. Common issue with software, the people that want the software don't know how to write it (like myself), so they get a programmer in who knows how to write it but doesn't understand the original concepts. You rarely end up with a workable product. I don't know if that software still exists, he used to list a link in his signature. I can't that say that I found him to be a power-tripping twat though. I found that we had disparate views on some subjects, but that is not a bad thing. I also found him to offer offer useful discussion and content to this forum.

I have only ever had one serious issue with a member here, but he had upset a lot of others before he started on me, so he didn't last long here. I am aware that there are members here that have personal issues with myself, for reasons unknown to me, but generally they're grown up enough to keep their personal issues in check. I'm fine with it, that's life, I don't need everybody to like me, and I'm happy to help people regardless. We all have built-in triggers picked up through our life experience, often subconscious. You see a word somebody uses a certain way, or the way they write certain phrases, or simply take issue with people's personal views about life. Perfectly normal and rarely causes issues for anybody, and most people eventually get around such things. Very occasionally you become, completely unwittingly, a target for somebody based entirely on their own internal system, it happens.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Feb 2022, 2:36 pm

Bugman wrote:
jwai86 wrote:Magnum Sports in Sydney has a Steyr HS50 .50 BMG rifle advertised for $12,500. Somebody at my club joked that he wanted to get one just because.

I think I would find a better use for $12,500 than buy some long range bunny gun with mighty expensive ammo. Still for those that want and can afford it, good luck to them.

Same here, but I would consider the RN50 purely to add the experience of shooting and loading for a cartridge that verges on artillery. I have seen people using Trailboss loads and cast bullets in .50BMG to make for more enjoyable shooting. 75gn of Trailboss is still a lot of powder, but you can get 300rds out of a 1.5kg bottle of Trailboss, so 50c a shot, plus a primer and a "free" cast powder-coated bullet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 20 Feb 2022, 5:08 pm

He went to that other group run by juststarting[/quote]

How could I forget this viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11736[/quote]

I was on there for a bit but JS is a power tripping twat[/quote]

Brett is active on shooting groups on FB so perhaps he just got bored with forums overall. JS is on FB as well (under his real name of course). Don't know about Ben as I never got to know him.

As far as I know I'm still a member but haven't had any email notifications for years, no idea if it still exists.
I didn't have any particular problem there but it seemed an entirely pointless exercise driven by a handful of individuals that allowed themselves to get butthurt over (apparently) a handful of comments here. Spite is not what I would consider a relevant reason to create a forum. I never ever saw any of the comments here that they claimed (in private discussion when I asked the raison d'être for the new forum) occurred to upset them, so I don't know if they actually occurred and were removed (as you would hope any forum would manage), or if they had private issues with members rather than public. At least one member took huge effort to go through hundreds and hundreds of his posts here and delete each one, although where he was quoted his comments still exist. I see no logical reasoning behind doing this, which left me wondering about his state of mind overall. It seemed to me an attempt to expunge his comments from the historical record, and that is never a good sign. Perhaps he just wanted to remove any of his own useful comment from being of benefit to users of this forum, again, spite is not a good frame of mind for sound decision making. I had a vague feeling that a small group here were essentially having their own "forum" via private messaging, and decided another forum would work better. If that was their purpose then I hope it worked well for them.

JS did ask for my feedback on the reloading program he was building (I'm sure he asked lots of people), but I found it unwieldy and complex, as if it had been built by a programmer rather than a reloader. Common issue with software, the people that want the software don't know how to write it (like myself), so they get a programmer in who knows how to write it but doesn't understand the original concepts. You rarely end up with a workable product. I don't know if that software still exists, he used to list a link in his signature. I can't that say that I found him to be a power-tripping twat though. I found that we had disparate views on some subjects, but that is not a bad thing. I also found him to offer offer useful discussion and content to this forum.

I have only ever had one serious issue with a member here, but he had upset a lot of others before he started on me, so he didn't last long here. I am aware that there are members here that have personal issues with myself, for reasons unknown to me, but generally they're grown up enough to keep their personal issues in check. I'm fine with it, that's life, I don't need everybody to like me, and I'm happy to help people regardless. We all have built-in triggers picked up through our life experience, often subconscious. You see a word somebody uses a certain way, or the way they write certain phrases, or simply take issue with people's personal views about life. Perfectly normal and rarely causes issues for anybody, and most people eventually get around such things. Very occasionally you become, completely unwittingly, a target for somebody based entirely on their own internal system, it happens.[/quote]

Trust me,he was.
There was a " what did you do today" thread over there. I often contributed with my hunting stuff,he always had some smart ass remark about it. One day I said I'd been reloading 22-250. He then moved that to the reloading section and started a new thread about it. I told him I wasn't interested in discussing my reloading efforts,to which he accused me of trying to derail my own thread which I didn't actually want to start anyway,he carried on like a small child for a bit,then went back and deleted all his comments. So I asked Ben to remove me rather than put up with juststartings childish rubbish.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 Feb 2022, 5:30 pm

bigpete wrote:Trust me,he was.
There was a " what did you do today" thread over there. I often contributed with my hunting stuff,he always had some smart ass remark about it. One day I said I'd been reloading 22-250. He then moved that to the reloading section and started a new thread about it. I told him I wasn't interested in discussing my reloading efforts,to which he accused me of trying to derail my own thread which I didn't actually want to start anyway,he carried on like a small child for a bit,then went back and deleted all his comments. So I asked Ben to remove me rather than put up with juststartings childish rubbish.

Okay, that sounds pretty petty and controlling to me. Great way to kill a public forum by controlling what people can post.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Feb 2022, 8:45 pm

I drove past the entrance to his "block" only recently, and I think he was actually there at the time,, unfortunately I hadn't the time to stop and
find out for sure, let alone spend a few hours catching up.

As for the OP's statement regaling the 50 BMG as a monstrosity,,,,,,,,,,, I would doubt he (the OP) has ever actually used one judging by his comment, nor gained any first hand knowledge on the matter.

They are in fact a wonderful piece of engineering and aesthetically very pleasing,, exhilarating to use,, and far from a "monstrosity".
Last edited by Die Judicii on 24 Feb 2022, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Feb 2022, 9:21 pm

"One day I said I'd been reloading 22-250. He then moved that to the reloading section and started a new thread about it. I told him I wasn't interested in discussing my reloading efforts,to which he accused me of trying to derail my own thread which I didn't actually want to start anyway,he carried on like a small child for a bit,then went back and deleted all his comments. So I asked Ben to remove me rather than put up with juststartings childish rubbish."

This is typical of what happens. Agree with JS or get ridiculed.
I'm a member but never post now. Once in a blue moon have a look. Last I looked membership seemed to be shrinking and very few posts these days.

Brett is mostly on FB these days and I doubt he is still using that forum.

You can shoot the 50bmg at Warracknabeal range.

I also looked at the reloading app. You can buy it at his we site.
Found it far too complex. I just use Excel and a $1 note book. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles