Lee Enfield Volley Sights - 3000yd

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lee Enfield Volley Sights - 3000yd

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2022, 11:33 am

Mark and Sam playing with a .303 :-)
https://youtu.be/CWOw9Q6bovs
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Lee Enfield Volley Sights - 3000yd

Post by bigpete » 22 Feb 2022, 2:10 pm

I literally have zero interest in long range shooting.....but I do enjoy their video's ( guess that means I do have an interest lol ).
I seen one the other day where they were shooting at 900 with a lee Enfield, I thought THAT was stretching the barrel !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2022, 2:12 pm

bigpete wrote:I literally have zero interest in long range shooting.....but I do enjoy their video's ( guess that means I do have an interest lol ).
I seen one the other day where they were shooting at 900 with a lee Enfield, I thought THAT was stretching the barrel !

I think I enjoy it mostly because it really exaggerates what we think we're seeing at closer ranges.

Where he really impresses me is his offhand open-sight shooting at extremely long ranges, like with the .45-70.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 22 Feb 2022, 4:23 pm

bigpete wrote:I literally have zero interest in long range shooting.....but I do enjoy their video's ( guess that means I do have an interest lol ).

1000 yd shooting with a 303 was the main long range comp for many years. I indulged in it myself in the early '70's. I haven't for years now but friends still do a couple of times a year. In those days we were only allowed to use "as issued" Military FMJ also.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Border_Bloke » 24 Feb 2022, 8:23 am

It's interesting how close they were getting with the volley sights.
I read about the expected performance of British volley fire years ago - from memory they were expected to hit a 30 foot (10m) canvas square at 2800 yards 30% or 40% of the time - or something like that - these guys were a lot closer than that.

But knowing my memory, it could have been the Martini Henry I was reading about and not the 303.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles