tikka t3 varmit opinions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: tikka t3 varmit opinions

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Mar 2022, 3:18 pm

I was hoping someone would comment about the lack of advantage having a heavy varmint for hunting.

The only benefit you'll gain in a hunting scenario is reduced felt recoil.
HOWEVER, there is definitely something cool about varmint barrels 8-)
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 04 Mar 2022, 5:31 pm

I always found the marketing name of a “308 varmint rifle” puzzling. They must be pretty robust “varmints” to warrant the use of the 308 :lol: I thought “varmints” were supposed to be numerous small critters, perhaps coming out of a burrow, whereby you camp nearby and knock a heap of them over in quick succession, hence the need for the thicker barrel for those (alleged) numerous follow up shots. A “varmint” rifle in say 22-250 - now that makes a lot more sense to me. Point is, the aforementioned “308 varmint rifle” should just be named for what it is i.e. a “308 target rifle”.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 04 Mar 2022, 5:34 pm

The word target is thrown around just as loosely as varmint.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 04 Mar 2022, 5:54 pm

MontyShooter wrote:The word target is thrown around just as loosely as varmint.

At least it's literal, that’s my point :unknown:
Last edited by in2anity on 04 Mar 2022, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Mar 2022, 6:05 pm

Everything's a potential target :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 04 Mar 2022, 6:46 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Everything's a potential target :thumbsup:

:lol: this is true OOW, this is true...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 04 Mar 2022, 7:40 pm

I purchased a T3 Varmint in .223 for a grazier friend, and found it to be excellent. The handloads we made up for him shot very well. I could not fault it.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 04 Mar 2022, 8:20 pm

GQshayne wrote:I purchased a T3 Varmint in .223 for a grazier friend, and found it to be excellent. The handloads we made up for him shot very well. I could not fault it.

Yup perfect for farmers shooting from utes. :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 05 Mar 2022, 8:02 am

in2anity wrote:
GQshayne wrote:I purchased a T3 Varmint in .223 for a grazier friend, and found it to be excellent. The handloads we made up for him shot very well. I could not fault it.

precisely . my intention of having a 270 varmit is for longer shots over open country or up into ridgelines .from a bipod or rest over the bonnet or prone on the ground . however, i'm a 6'4" 130kg metal worker built like a blacksmith . shooting offhand quickly and briefly is doable for me . :D

besides all that , i just want to try longer distance shooting . another level of experience :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 05 Mar 2022, 11:39 am

in2anity wrote:I always found the marketing name of a “308 varmint rifle” puzzling. They must be pretty robust “varmints” to warrant the use of the 308 :lol: I thought “varmints” were supposed to be numerous small critters, perhaps coming out of a burrow, whereby you camp nearby and knock a heap of them over in quick succession, hence the need for the thicker barrel for those (alleged) numerous follow up shots. A “varmint” rifle in say 22-250 - now that makes a lot more sense to me. Point is, the aforementioned “308 varmint rifle” should just be named for what it is i.e. a “308 target rifle”.

Maaattteee! 30cal, only just marginal for feral cats! Now a heavy varmint barrelled 375H7H mag with 250gn HP is getting there!! ;) :sarcasm: :lol:
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 05 Mar 2022, 7:12 pm

bigrich wrote:
in2anity wrote:

precisely . my intention of having a 270 varmit is for longer shots over open country or up into ridgelines .from a bipod or rest over the bonnet or prone on the ground . however, i'm a 6'4" 130kg metal worker built like a blacksmith . shooting offhand quickly and briefly is doable for me . :D

besides all that , i just want to try longer distance shooting . another level of experience :thumbsup:

Yep, over a rest I found the extra weight was very good. I have a couple of old Tikka DeLuxe rifles, and the full size varmint stocks on them do not add up to the weight of the T3 Varmint. If that is your use for it, I think it will be good.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SJFT » 06 Mar 2022, 10:16 pm

bigrich wrote:
in2anity wrote:

Give it a crack. You may just find the rifle a tad nose heavy with the factory stock and need a bit of weight to help you get it balanced off hand. Off the ute or bipod it'll be fine. The other benefit to the heavier barrel is it is much easier to thread for a muzzle brake if you decide to dumb down the recoil a touch.
SJFT
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles