tikka t3 varmit opinions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

tikka t3 varmit opinions

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2022, 8:40 am

hey fellas , i've recently purchased one of these and am seeking general opinions and advice . also i'm contemplating whether or not a aftermarket stock is worth the expense in terms of accuracy improvement . a B&C in the "M40"style seems like a good thing, but the weight and profile of the factory black plastic stock means it's quite portable and still capable of being shot offhand for a big boofhead like me . if i was in the WW2 army , i woulda been the guy assigned to carry the vickers MG or anti tank rifle :P my tikka is in 270 win

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Re: tikka t3 varmit opinions

Post by Baitlayer » 25 Feb 2022, 10:30 am

G'day mate, i have the same rifle in 6.5 CM. Like you, i considered stock and other upgrades .Given my rifle consistently shoots sub 3/4 inch at 100 m, I found it difficult to justify the expense and as i don't shoot competitively I am more than happy with that at the moment. After some advice from this site ,the only one i am going with is a trigger spring upgrade. Although I am reasonably happy with the the factory one. As to the weight ,I don't, find it all that worrying (lugged an SLR around the bush for a few years) and these days I drive more than walk to shooting locations. I am also planning a 20 MOA rail and a scope upgrade for longer range stuff. Will eventually get into reloading but still have a stock of factory stuff to use up and given the reported difficulties around component supplies at the moment, now may not be the best time for that.
Any way, enjoy your Tikka. If it shoots like mine, you'll love it.
Baitlayer
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2022, 11:06 am

Baitlayer wrote:G'day mate, i have the same rifle in 6.5 CM. Like you, i considered stock and other upgrades .Given my rifle consistently shoots sub 3/4 inch at 100 m, I found it difficult to justify the expense and as i don't shoot competitively I am more than happy with that at the moment. After some advice from this site ,the only one i am going with is a trigger spring upgrade. Although I am reasonably happy with the the factory one. As to the weight ,I don't, find it all that worrying (lugged an SLR around the bush for a few years) and these days I drive more than walk to shooting locations. I am also planning a 20 MOA rail and a scope upgrade for longer range stuff. Will eventually get into reloading but still have a stock of factory stuff to use up and given the reported difficulties around component supplies at the moment, now may not be the best time for that.
Any way, enjoy your Tikka. If it shoots like mine, you'll love it.

thanks for your opinion and feedback BL. i have 2 other t3's , a 223 and 7-08 , both in b&c stocks . with the right handloads, both shoot silly small groups. i'm trying to sound out if the varmit tikka needs a stock upgrade due to the heavy barrel being more rigid . your 6.5CM groups shot with factory ammo or handloads ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Feb 2022, 11:29 am

Big Rich,,,,,,

I hate Tikka's now,, after the last NEW .223 one that I bought.
See my post under Centerfire Rifles, "Sighting in new T3x 22-250 issues" 29th March 2021.

And more info on the same rifle about the other issues I had with it , prior to my above mentioned comment.
Never EVER again will I buy a Tikka.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 25 Feb 2022, 12:00 pm

They are a target rifle. Target rifles for target shooting. Hunting rifles for hunting.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2022, 3:14 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Big Rich,,,,,,

See my post under Centerfire Rifles, "Sighting in new T3x 22-250 issues" 29th March 2021.

And more info on the same rifle about the other issues I had with it , prior to my above mentioned comment.

yeah , i remember your tale about that brumby tikka that ticked you off :)
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2022, 3:19 pm

in2anity wrote:They are a target rifle. Target rifles for target shooting. Hunting rifles for hunting.

actually , it's a varmit rifle ;) for shooting varmits.

onary or otherwise :lol:

when it's a varmit rifle in 270 , you can shoot bigger varmits :P

i've been on some blocks with grazing pasture or crop and stuff is further out at times . besides, i don't REALLY neeed to justify buying another rifle do i ;)

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 25 Feb 2022, 3:49 pm

bigrich wrote:
in2anity wrote:They are a target rifle. Target rifles for target shooting. Hunting rifles for hunting.

i've been on some blocks with grazing pasture or crop and stuff is further out at times . besides, i don't REALLY neeed to justify buying another rifle do i ;)

Nomenclature. Of course I’m just stirring the pot again. My point is, those HB rifles are designed for specific purposes- if you’re not participating in such activities, they are heavy and wasted. Horses for courses.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 25 Feb 2022, 4:07 pm

Generally at night I carry a heavy barrelled Howa on my quad .it has padded shooting rests at front and both sides for quick accurate shots thru 180 degrees And then another rifle much lighter I grab from a box on the back of quad if I decide to go for a hunt on foot for a while
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2022, 7:17 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Nomenclature. Of course I’m just stirring the pot again. My point is, those HB rifles are designed for specific purposes- if you’re not participating in such activities, they are heavy and wasted. Horses for courses.

yeah i agree . horses for coarses . but the heavy barrel isn't a issue for me to use as a stalking rifle , but yes , it's designed for distance shooting . my real stalking rifle is a 7-08 with a 2.5-8x36 scope . good for most real world situations . but y'know , occaisionally in open country there's a need for a capable distance shooter with a higher mag scope . out of curiosity, i just weighed it . B&C stock , scope and bolt in rifle , 10 pounds even . that's about one pound over a No-4 enfeild weight .
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 25 Feb 2022, 8:20 pm

bigrich wrote:
in2anity wrote:
bigrich wrote:

yeah i agree . horses for coarses . but the heavy barrel isn't a issue for me to use as a stalking rifle , but yes , it's designed for distance shooting . my real stalking rifle is a 7-08 with a 2.5-8x36 scope . good for most real world situations . but y'know , occaisionally in open country there's a need for a capable distance shooter with a higher mag scope . out of curiosity, i just weighed it . B&C stock , scope and bolt in rifle , 10 pounds even . that's about one pound over a No-4 enfeild weight .

In a quality featherweight, perhaps a Sako, don’t you think you could still nail your long shots, from cold?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baitlayer » 25 Feb 2022, 9:35 pm

Evening BR, shooting all factory at the moment. Not set up for reloading as yet.Shooting mostly Hornady WHitetail at present, but recently acquired some Super Performance.Keen to see how it goes when I get home to SA from being grand dad in Perth.
Baitlayer
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2022, 9:45 pm

in2anity wrote:
In a quality featherweight, perhaps a Sako, don’t you think you could still nail your long shots, from cold?

i won't own another sako 85 , i had two long action ones that didn't reliably eject . tikkas are my "new" go-to rifle . i have owned/own various old school stuff but .to answer your question to long shots , if i find a good rest for the rifle , i probably could pull off long shots with a sporter . but a varmit barrel would be more consistant i expect . this new rifle is more for setting up over the bonnet for long range "plinking" at whatever furry critters need fixing i guess . i haven't owned a heavy barrel shooter that can really reach out . so i'm getting into this for the practicle experience .looking at various ballistic figures the 270 shooting 130's is impressive out to 400 in terms of trajectory whilst still maintaining good energy . i've been trying various styles and calibers of firearms over the last few years . it's one thing to read about stuff to gain knowledge, it's quite another to have first hand experience :thumbsup:

i better fit a muzzle break at some point but :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2022, 9:47 pm

Blr243 wrote:Generally at night I carry a heavy barrelled Howa on my quad .it has padded shooting rests at front and both sides for quick accurate shots thru 180 degrees And then another rifle much lighter I grab from a box on the back of quad if I decide to go for a hunt on foot for a while

what's your howa specs ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Feb 2022, 10:07 pm

Howa is heavy barrelled stock standard cheap from cleavers either 22250 or 243
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Feb 2022, 11:29 pm

I like the early Sako 75's but not too keen on the 85's (I don't like the loose tolerance rattle of their bolts)

On the other hand,, the NEW tikka 223 that I had and hated,, was replaced with a VT fluted barreled 223 HOWA.
For cost, reliability, and accuracy it by far surpassed the tikka,,,, and I had spare $$$ left in my pocket.
Yes, they are hefty, but I don't care cos I no longer walk and shoot.
I now own three of em in differing calibers, and love em.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Mandrake77 » 26 Feb 2022, 8:22 am

I have the T3X in 9.3x62. The stock is perfect and is super comfortable. I would suggest leaving the stock as is. the .270 is my favourite calibre, you have yourself a hell of a rifle. What scope do you run on it? I have a Meopta 4-12 and find it amazing!
Shooting and fishing since I was 8 in 85.
Mandrake77
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mandrake77 » 26 Feb 2022, 8:24 am

Die Judicii wrote:I like the early Sako 75's but not too keen on the 85's (I don't like the loose tolerance rattle of their bolts)

On the other hand,, the NEW tikka 223 that I had and hated,, was replaced with a VT fluted barreled 223 HOWA.
For cost, reliability, and accuracy it by far surpassed the tikka,,,, and I had spare $$$ left in my pocket.
Yes, they are hefty, but I don't care cos I no longer walk and shoot.
I now own three of em in differing calibers, and love em.

I have an early A2 Sako in the 22-250 and It shoots as straight now as the day it was purchased by my Grandfather. Hell of a rifle!
Shooting and fishing since I was 8 in 85.
Mandrake77
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 26 Feb 2022, 8:27 am

Same here 22250 and 308 blued 243 stainless
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Feb 2022, 10:03 am

lot of love for heavy barrels from DJ and BLR. i've found some sporters "throw" the first shot from a cold barrel , heavy barrels not so much . on a trip my tikka varmit 270 is intended as a back up rifle if the country and terrain require it for longer shots . the portability and accuracy of my 7-08 T3, it's my primary stalking rifle . it's nice to have a bit of variety in the safe too :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 26 Feb 2022, 5:55 pm

What was the issue with the Tikka if u dont mind me asking? Im left handed and looking at a 1 in 8" Lite. Not many other options out there unfortunately
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 26 Feb 2022, 7:00 pm

with regard to early sako's , they are exceptionally well made, accurate rifles . at present i have a L61R in 30-06 stocked in a custom english stalking rifle stock and a A1 in 223, and won't part with them .

as to the stocks mandrake77 i've refitted my tikkas in bell and carlson stocks and accuracy and reliable consistancy in POI has turned them into target rifles ! well worth the money. but all required very minor finishing to the inletting. i use VX3 loopy scopes on all my gear , but the 270 varmit copped a VX5 3-15x42 . which looks like the perfect scope for that rifle
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Feb 2022, 7:12 pm

Tubs wrote:

What was the issue with the Tikka if u dont mind me asking? Im left handed and looking at a 1 in 8" Lite. Not many other options out there unfortunately
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Feb 2022, 8:28 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Tubs wrote:

shame you got a dodgy one DJ , mine are better value than sako's :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 26 Feb 2022, 9:05 pm

Do the Sako barrels and Tikka barrels come out of the same factory?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Feb 2022, 9:40 pm

in2anity wrote:Do the Sako barrels and Tikka barrels come out of the same factory?

I do not know.
But,,, when pushing a cleaning patch through the barrel of the one I had, it was Tight, Loose, Tight, Loose, Tight, Loose, all the way through.

The dealer concerned tried to tell me that was normal. :wtf:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Feb 2022, 9:49 pm

in2anity wrote:Do the Sako barrels and Tikka barrels come out of the same factory?

yes , they do :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Feb 2022, 9:50 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

I do not know.
But,,, when pushing a cleaning patch through the barrel of the one I had, it was Tight, Loose, Tight, Loose, Tight, Loose, all the way through.

The dealer concerned tried to tell me that was normal. :wtf:

the dealer sounds like he was the problem . your rifle should've been replaced
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by SJFT » 04 Mar 2022, 6:04 am

The varmint barrel has a few advantages in my view... but most relate to situations where you'll be firing multiple shots. If this is not a likely hunting scenario, or you have no intention of shooting dozens of rounds at the range in a session, the biggest disadvantage in the factory synthetic stock is balance. The gun is super nose heavy.

I find it much easier to shoot off hand or from a support with the sporter or lite barreled guns in factory stocks. The B&C stock will not only add some capacity to more easily adjust the gun to fit you, it may add some extra heft in the rump to help balance the heavier barrel. Other options are chassis like the MDT XRS.

I have a bunch of Tikkas and have no data that would support any of them being more or less accurate on 1st shot accuracy from a rest. The differences are how fast the barrel heats up when firing multiple strings and balance - particularly when not shooting from a bipod or forward rest.

Hope this helps.
SJFT
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 04 Mar 2022, 12:59 pm

SJFT wrote:The varmint barrel has a few advantages in my view... but most relate to situations where you'll be firing multiple shots. If this is not a likely hunting scenario, or you have no intention of shooting dozens of rounds at the range in a session, the biggest disadvantage in the factory synthetic stock is balance. The gun is super nose heavy.

I find it much easier to shoot off hand or from a support with the sporter or lite barreled guns in factory stocks. The B&C stock will not only add some capacity to more easily adjust the gun to fit you, it may add some extra heft in the rump to help balance the heavier barrel. Other options are chassis like the MDT XRS.

I have a bunch of Tikkas and have no data that would support any of them being more or less accurate on 1st shot accuracy from a rest. The differences are how fast the barrel heats up when firing multiple strings and balance - particularly when not shooting from a bipod or forward rest.

Hope this helps.

Exactly this. For foot-based hunting application, which includes a degree of carrying and some offhand shots, a so-called "varmint" barrel is not the appropriate tool for the job. A heavy barrel simply gives you better consistency over longer strings, and makes load development that much easier. There’s this guy who always shoots in “non-service” category in our club, I think he came from Alpine. He uses a t3 varmint. The guy can shoot - his 100m offhand application stages always start super strong - I’ve scored for him many a time; at the start all Vs and 5s. But by the end, he gets sloppy. Stage two is where he drops big points because his arms are obviously tiring. He openly admits to the dilemma. The rifle is otherwise sublime for the sit and prone mounds, where elbows are on the knees or the mat. Or even more appropriate fully supported target shooting whereby the rifle can display its full colours.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles