Lsa55 bolt into m55

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lsa55 bolt into m55

Post by okeeffebilly » 08 Mar 2022, 7:55 pm

Hi, anyone on here know if a bolt from an Lsa 55 will lock straight into an M55? Thanks
okeeffebilly
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Lsa55 bolt into m55

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Mar 2022, 11:39 am

Once a gunsmith has confirmed and/or adjusted headspace, yes. They are exactly the same rifle, but LSA is an American marketing term for the M55, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 09 Mar 2022, 12:28 pm

Get yourself a go-nogo and sharpie the locking lugs. If she locks only on the go, and the sharpie rubs off on lockup, it should be safe.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by okeeffebilly » 09 Mar 2022, 2:25 pm

It slides in and everything but wont lock down, had it rebarreled a few years back, I’m wondering if the gunsmith modified my old bolt to suit…..really need another genuine M55 bolt to see if it works in my action I guess
okeeffebilly
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Mar 2022, 7:47 pm

I very much doubt your bolt was altered, more likely the barrel face was set back a few thou to set a close clearance. As the Tikka M76, LSA55 and M55 are all exactly the same rifle with different marketing names, a bolt of the appropriate calibre should interchange between them with only minor fitting. The handle forms a 3rd lug, measure from the bolt face to back of the handle, it should be around 135.70mm (5.3425"), the lugs should be 12.446 to 12.471mm (0.490" to 0.491") Then measure the distance on the action from barrel face to bolt resting face. You may need to stone the bolt face a bit, or the back face of the bolt handle (don't be tempted to take anything off the action body) to fit. Check cartridge fit, adjust case shoulder to suit, you should be good to go, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 09 Mar 2022, 7:56 pm

Yep, they are the same rifle. So get your gunsmith to sort it out as the fellas have mentioned already.

Tikka firearms were imported into the USA by the Ithaca Trading Company, and sold as an "Ithaca LSA55". Some of these were also imported into Australia and sold as a Tikka LSA55. If your rifle is totally original, I reckon it will have Ithaca on the recoil pad.

This has no doubt happened on other occasions. The other one I know is the Browning BLR, and the Miroku MLR, which are the same rifle as well, but brought into Australia by different importers in the 1970's.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by okeeffebilly » 10 Mar 2022, 7:13 pm

Thanks everybody, will hand over to a gunsmith and get it tuned in
okeeffebilly
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles