.308 rifle, getting into long range target shooting

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

.308 rifle, getting into long range target shooting

Post by Griffo1337 » 11 Mar 2022, 9:02 pm

G'day,

Looking for your suggestions/experience/2cents. Apologies for the long post.

I want to eventually get into something like f-class, I've had a crack and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I don't want to jump right into building a custom rifle for many, many dollars. I want to ideally buy something I could in future, possibly finesse (not me, a professional) to be 'entry-level' competitive.

I'm looking to get a .308, and I'd like to spend under $2000 on the rifle (scope will be extra).

I'll probably start with ranges of about 200-400m, but would like to be able to use it out to 1000m.

Looking for suggestions please, I've done a lot of reading to the point my eyes are crossing. Also I'm left handed, just to make life difficult :crazy:

Thank you in advance!
Griffo1337
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: .308 rifle, getting into long range target shooting

Post by in2anity » 11 Mar 2022, 9:10 pm

You should investigate the new S/H (Sporter Hunter) category. It is designed for shooters exactly as yourself. Which range will you be shooting at? Normally the distances are on rotation so you likely be shooting at all distances on offer.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Griffo1337 » 11 Mar 2022, 9:14 pm

in2anity wrote:You should investigate the new S/H (Sporter Hunter) category. It is designed for shooters exactly as yourself. Which range will you be shooting at? Normally the distances are on rotation so you likely be shooting at all distances on offer.

Honestly not sure, I currently live (Geelong area) sort of close to SSAA Eagle Park. But I'm moving to either Bendigo area or south east Victoria... house hunting is hard hahaha
Griffo1337
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 11 Mar 2022, 10:48 pm

I now compete in sporting hunter instead of F-class.I have a Remington Sendero I bought second hand however I knew the original owner and he had only run it in and he had floated it and fitted a leupold scope to do exactly what I intended to do.Its chambered in 7mm Rem Mag but 308 would be a sensible option
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Mar 2022, 12:05 am

Buy an Omark, well under $1000 and still competitive out to 1000 yards, can be used in T/R or F- Class. Probably the cheapest option to get into dedicated target shooting. Keep an eye out for modified M1917 rifles, one of which sold here (Melbourne) recently for $450. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Biscuits » 12 Mar 2022, 3:20 am

You mention long range target in your thread title, but don't mention F-class until the body of your question.

I think the first question you should ask yourself is: do you want to shoot F-class, do you want to shoot long range, or do you want to shoot extreme long range?

They are all different and F-class is far from the only discipline where you shoot at stuff a long way away.

An F-class rifle has no practical application other than F-class. You don't do other target disciplines with it. You don't hunt with it. Your scope is a dedicated F-class scope. Everything, down to the bipod, only works for F-class. Additionally (afaik, I don't shoot F-class as I looked at it and decided it would be boring) F-class runs out at 1200 yards (just under 1100m). That's only intermediate range. I've taken general purpose 308 varmint barrel rifle out much further than that and a 6.5mm rifle further again. The 308 I use for this is a true general purpose rifle, you could shoot civilian service rifle with it, you could hunt with it, you could plink with it...... and you can also hit targets 1200 metres away with it.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 12 Mar 2022, 6:16 am

I honestly believe you should pick your gear depending on the range/discipline you can most likely routinely attend. There’s no point in getting a stiffy over a 338lm if yu got no where to shoot it!

So look at any of the VRA approved ranges nearby https://www.vra.asn.au/rifle-ranges and check the template for what calibers they support. They will all support the humble 308.

Then think about which discipline. F-class open ultimately demands minimum a $6000 space gun - without it you won’t keep up.

SH or even TR with an Omark will allow you to “keep up” without breaking the bank, provided you practice.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 12 Mar 2022, 8:41 am

Biscuits I am sorry you are way off the mark.
I started Fclass with a rem 700 at the time hunter class didnt exist. I also used this rifle for hunting. As a stock rifle well it was in a boyds stock it would shoot low 50s to 56's quite acceptable but frustrating. I had bought a NXS 8-32 scope for it great for hunting not the best for target work but more than better than most. At the time hunter class was not offered. I used a China copy harris bipod. The next upgrade was the bipod and then the barrel cut it at 28 inch and a 8-32 BR nightforce scope cheaper than the NXS. This brought the scores upto consistent 57s and the rifle is still suitable for hunting although a bit heavy but accurate. Most of the clubs I know mostly shoot 500 yrd and 600 yrd on a regular basis with longer ranges used during inter club comps and open comps.

I would follow No1Mk3 and in2anitys advice and buy a cheap omark but get a club member familiar with them to help choose one that has been upgraded in the bolt or a savage 12 rem 700 ect.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 12 Mar 2022, 10:11 am

Larry wrote:Biscuits I am sorry you are way off the mark.
I started Fclass with a rem 700 at the time hunter class didnt exist. I also used this rifle for hunting. As a stock rifle well it was in a boyds stock it would shoot low 50s to 56's quite acceptable but frustrating. I had bought a NXS 8-32 scope for it great for hunting not the best for target work but more than better than most. At the time hunter class was not offered. I used a China copy harris bipod. The next upgrade was the bipod and then the barrel cut it at 28 inch and a 8-32 BR nightforce scope cheaper than the NXS. This brought the scores upto consistent 57s and the rifle is still suitable for hunting although a bit heavy but accurate. Most of the clubs I know mostly shoot 500 yrd and 600 yrd on a regular basis with longer ranges used during inter club comps and open comps.

I would follow No1Mk3 and in2anitys advice and buy a cheap omark but get a club member familiar with them to help choose one that has been upgraded in the bolt or a savage 12 rem 700 ect.

I had an idea of doing the same, using my hunting rifles. The club I went to check it out wouldn't allow it at the time, had to build a dedicated rifle. I've never been back but I've been told they do now.

In what sort of hunting is the NXS 8-32 a "great" scope? Maybe for a varmint rig, or perhaps for spotlighting. I can't imagine anybody taking it deer hunting or pretty much anywhere on foot.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Mar 2022, 10:14 am

Griffo1337 wrote:G'day,

Looking for your suggestions/experience/2cents. Apologies for the long post.

I want to eventually get into something like f-class, I've had a crack and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I don't want to jump right into building a custom rifle for many, many dollars. I want to ideally buy something I could in future, possibly finesse (not me, a professional) to be 'entry-level' competitive.

I'm looking to get a .308, and I'd like to spend under $2000 on the rifle (scope will be extra).

I'll probably start with ranges of about 200-400m, but would like to be able to use it out to 1000m.

Looking for suggestions please, I've done a lot of reading to the point my eyes are crossing. Also I'm left handed, just to make life difficult :crazy:

Thank you in advance!

You're going to be shooting a single-shot rifle in all of those, or at least single-loading a repeater. I would just buy a Ruger or a Howa and give it a go. If you enjoy it you can build something dedicated while still competing with what you have. And the Ruger or Howa will be easy to sell when you're done with it.

In those classes I would consider the left-handedness to be an advantage, just use a right-handed rifle and operate it with your right hand, very easy, easier than using your left hand on a left-handed rifle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 12 Mar 2022, 10:50 am

I really like the NXS as a hunting scope it has very good glass very clear easy to get your eye behind quickly the reticle is a little thicker than a target scope acquiring the target is just simple as and it is robust as, it will take heaps of knocks without any shift. I hunt or kill mainly Sambar at distances about 300yrds sometimes shorter if I get into the bush. But usually I find them in the paddock grazing after exiting the bush.
Last edited by Larry on 12 Mar 2022, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Tubs » 12 Mar 2022, 11:05 am

Left handed wannabe hunter here. The more I get the more I realise that Tikkas are a lefties best friend. You can feel confident that even buying them second hand you are unlikely to get a dud (no advice given:).

First investment was in a modified Tikka T3 in 308 (not x) with a shortened threaded barrel, and a 20MOA rail. Extremely accurate. Loves Sierra Match King 175's.

Some criticisms here on some newer Tikkas. Ive ordered a new 308 Lite, which I will load some semi-light loads for using 2206H. Will report back on if I have any issues.

Rugers also make LH
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Griffo1337 » 12 Mar 2022, 5:01 pm

Thanks for all your input! I'll definitely check out the S/H category.
I'll check do some more digging on the ruger, Omark, Remington, tikka and Howa.
Blade - you make a good point regarding right handed bolt, left handed shooter, it's something I go back and forth on a bit haha.
$6000 on a space gun is exactly what I don't want to start with, love that description though! :mrgreen:

Feel free to keep throwing forward suggestions for an accurate long range .308, I like going down review rabbit holes for specific brands/models!
Griffo1337
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Mar 2022, 5:04 pm

Griffo1337 wrote:Thanks for all your input! I'll definitely check out the S/H category.
I'll check do some more digging on the ruger, Omark, Remington, tikka and Howa.
Blade - you make a good point regarding right handed bolt, left handed shooter, it's something I go back and forth on a bit haha.
$6000 on a space gun is exactly what I don't want to start with, love that description though! :mrgreen:

Feel free to keep throwing forward suggestions for an accurate long range .308, I like going down review rabbit holes for specific brands/models!

If you were shooting conventionally I'd say get a lefty, but in these classes the rifle is resting on bags and stuff, all you're doing is touching the trigger.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles