your cleaning habits

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: your cleaning habits

Post by bigrich » 29 Mar 2022, 11:08 am

Gamerancher wrote:It surprised me at first, I thought it was a good thing. I no longer use it to coat the bore in my rifles, seems to work alright on the outside where they are blued, just not on bare steel in the bore.

so what do you use on your rifle bores GR ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 29 Mar 2022, 11:26 am

I've got a bottle of gun-oil similar to the one that was pictured in another topic by On-one wheel I think.
It separates into a couple of different layers when left standing. Either that or just light machine oil, Singer.
I do coat the bores with Ballistol after cleaning at the end of a match to get them home but clean it out and use the above when I do get home.
That can sometimes be a couple of weeks later. I must point out that this is all in relation to my Black-powder rifles. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 29 Mar 2022, 12:23 pm

Gamerancher wrote:I've got a bottle of gun-oil similar to the one that was pictured in another topic by On-one wheel I think.
It separates into a couple of different layers when left standing. Either that or just light machine oil, Singer.
I do coat the bores with Ballistol after cleaning at the end of a match to get them home but clean it out and use the above when I do get home.
That can sometimes be a couple of weeks later. I must point out that this is all in relation to my Black-powder rifles. :drinks:

i was thinking you were refering to black powder guns . i haven't had any issues with using balistol on my rifles as a bore protectant . maybe it's just a black powder thing
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by northdude » 30 Mar 2022, 4:05 pm

Whats this cleaning you speak of?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 30 Mar 2022, 4:29 pm

northdude wrote:Whats this cleaning you speak of?

You sound like a fella I used to know. He had a tikka lite stainless. He reckons chuck it in a clean mountain creek was all he’d do :crazy:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 02 Apr 2022, 9:25 pm

Owned, reviewed, shot and cleaned lots of long arms.....

My routine nowadays
Carbon removed first up - soak a patch, push thru - let sit 2-3 mins, repeat until most of the black crap comes out.
Then - Boretech eliminator to remove copper - same process as above but let it soak 5-10 mins - can also scrub with a nickel plated nylon brush.
Patch put and repeat until traces of copper 2+ (blue) subside.

I tend not to overly clean if having fired a few shots (<10) out in the field but after a range session i do clean - i dont go crazy any go back to bare metal and use borescopes etc.... these are hunting rifles not bench guns.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 02 Apr 2022, 9:33 pm

Less is more. 30cal I’m not too worried about copper fouling, just carbon - just check/clean the copper every now and again. Let the barrel do the talking as you clean. The laser cals copper foul faster, but still not every outing. But most importantly keep her oiled.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles