Ross citadel Levtac 44mag

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Ross citadel Levtac 44mag

Post by Pighunter » 27 Aug 2022, 7:36 pm

Fionn wrote:I have never heard of the right side breaking, I can't even think how it could as the left does the work.

Must have been a faulty part.

It's snapped right where the screw goes in. Right through the middle of it. I googled the part thinking it'll be easy to grab one somewhere, but apparently I'm the first person in history this has happened to.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Fionn » 28 Aug 2022, 1:58 pm

Pighunter wrote:
Fionn wrote:I have never heard of the right side breaking, I can't even think how it could as the left does the work.

It's snapped right where the screw goes in. Right through the middle of it. I googled the part thinking it'll be easy to grab one somewhere, but apparently I'm the first person in history this has happened to.

Yes I think you can safely claim the first person that its happened too :D They must have cracked it when threading the screw hole, as it not under much stress if any really. I don't think you will find any place that stocks it, as it doesn't normally break or wear out.

At least the warranty claim should go smoothly you would hope and its a fairly easy thing to fix if you can get the part.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Pighunter » 28 Aug 2022, 2:23 pm

Fionn wrote:
Pighunter wrote:

Yes I think you can safely claim the first person that its happened too :D They must have cracked it when threading the screw hole, as it not under much stress if any really. I don't think you will find any place that stocks it, as it doesn't normally break or wear out.

At least the warranty claim should go smoothly you would hope and its a fairly easy thing to fix if you can get the part.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll hear from Cleavers and I'll get it sorted out. Hopefully Rossi or whoever can just send the part here.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by mickb » 28 Aug 2022, 2:39 pm

Sorry to hear mate. Try Rossi-rifleman forum for general info if it helps.
Thread on screws and cartridge guides.
https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6938

Also if you dead end, this US fellow who goes by Nate Kiowa Jones in cowboy shooting circles is arguably the worlds leading Rossi gunsmith
https://store.stevesgunz.com/
steve@stevesgunz.com

He wont send parts but has answered tech questions for me in the past.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Pighunter » 28 Aug 2022, 5:43 pm

mickb wrote:Sorry to hear mate. Try Rossi-rifleman forum for general info if it helps.
Thread on screws and cartridge guides.
https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6938

Also if you dead end, this US fellow who goes by Nate Kiowa Jones in cowboy shooting circles is arguably the worlds leading Rossi gunsmith
https://store.stevesgunz.com/
steve@stevesgunz.com

He wont send parts but has answered tech questions for me in the past.

Luckily it's still well under warranty. So I'm hoping Rossi can just send the part to cleavers or directly to me. it's only tiny about an inch long
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by dnedative » 28 Aug 2022, 5:48 pm

Assuming they bought them from Rossi.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pighunter » 28 Aug 2022, 9:32 pm

Either way it's going to be their problem especially on a 2 month old gun that's only had 30 rounds max put through it.
Of course they're closed today....
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Pighunter » 31 Aug 2022, 2:13 pm

Cleavers have told me to bring it in and they'll look at it to see if they can repair it of if it has to be sent back to the supplier for repair. Honestly I'm hoping they've had one or two come back that are completely shagged and they can just take the part out of them.

What do you think my chances are of getting my money back if they can't repair it?
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Pighunter » 17 Sep 2022, 2:39 pm

Citadel is back from repair, the part has been replaced. But now sadly it doesn't like the Sellier & Bellot ammunition, it cycles the Federal Premium smoothly but the other ammo has multiple issues cycling. Not sure how to fix that.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Fionn » 17 Sep 2022, 5:02 pm

What are the issues in detail? you may need to smooth out the cartridge guide rails depending on what the multiple issues cycling means.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Pighunter » 17 Sep 2022, 5:55 pm

Fionn wrote:What are the issues in detail? you may need to smooth out the cartridge guide rails depending on what the multiple issues cycling means.

Before when I cycled it, I could do it as slow as I liked and it would feed perfectly, now it seems to have issues with the round either not lifting up enough or jamming slightly on the way out of the tube and staying flat, resulting in a lot of jiggling and wriggling of the lever to get it to sit up. Even then it's not guaranteed to be on the right angle. However if I work the lever hard and fast it seems to not have many issues regardless of the ammo. My guess is it just needs to be worn in and that the new cartridge guide could have some burrs or something that affects the Sellier and Bellot ammunition feeding.
I'll do some more testing later to see if the Federal ammo has any issues with the speed of which I work the lever, but from what I've seen it didn't.
Before I sent it away everything seemed smooth. now it doesn't seem nearly as smooth. Like it's hanging up on something.

So I'm not sure if it's simply just needs to be worn in or if the lift is sticking or something. It only seems to have the issue with the Sellier and Bellot ammo not the Federal. It didn't have any of these issues prior to being sent away. But it really feels like the round is catching on something and I don't know what the hell is wrong with it. Very upsetting because before the cartridge guide broke the gun ate anything I put in it and had absolutely zero issues with feeding.

Edit: looking at it there seems to be more wear on the paint on the top of the bolt. I'm not sure I'm looking at the same bolt assembly. That I sent away lol
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Pighunter » 19 Sep 2022, 12:33 am

I've added two photos one of my "repaired" cartridge guides and one of a Reddit users cartridge guides. I'm not entirely sure but the channel cutout in the left guide on my rifle appears to be all sorts of messed up and wonky and the width of the entire guide doesn't even seem uniform... Don't really want to drive and hour and 20 to take it back to get sent away again so I guess I'll have to go to a gunsmith to see if they can fix it.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220919_002845.jpg
My cartridge guides
Screenshot_20220919_002845.jpg (495.64 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
Screenshot_20220918_212318_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
Sent to me on Reddit another guys levtac cartridge guides
Screenshot_20220918_212318_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg (515.72 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Fionn » 19 Sep 2022, 4:54 pm

Someones filed (butchered) the left cartridge guide, it shouldn't look like that stock. Generally you modify the left cartridge guide to help get the correct angle for the cartridge to level and feed into the chamber well.

The feeding issue maybe related to this or maybe the cartridge rails are to close together at some point. When feeding does it look like the rails are squeezing the cartridge somewhere along the stroke?

The best way to look for issues with feeding, is cycle the action very slow, watching what is happening and what is causing the problem. If that doesn't help, try dykem or sooting the action. But as its a new rifle I would be sending it back for warranty pointing out the filed left cartridge guide and the feeding issues.
Last edited by Fionn on 19 Sep 2022, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 19 Sep 2022, 5:00 pm

This is a better picture of what it should look like from the top.

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Pighunter » 19 Sep 2022, 9:55 pm

Fionn wrote:Someones filed (butchered) the left cartridge guide, it shouldn't look like that stock. Generally you modify the left cartridge guide to help get the correct angle for the cartridge to level and feed into the chamber well.

The feeding issue maybe related to this or maybe the cartridge rails are to close together at some point. When feeding does it look like the rails are squeezing the cartridge somewhere along the stroke?

The best way to look for issues with feeding, is cycle the action very slow, watching what is happening and what is causing the problem. If that doesn't help, try dykem or sooting the action. But as its a new rifle I would be sending it back for warranty pointing out the filed left cartridge guide and the feeding issues.

I'll try some of that when I get a chance, thank you for your reply, Ive sent another email to Cleavers about the warranty, but I'm.more disappointed that my rifle that cycled beautifully now has a few issues that make it unsafe to use while pest controlling wild pigs

Edit: the supplier are going to swap my rifle for a brand new one. I wasn't expecting that level of customer service but I'm quite happy with the outcome.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Pighunter » 16 Feb 2023, 10:07 am

https://youtu.be/ml20tKRCmfE?t=403

Now I'm waiting for this to happen to mine haha
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by SHV » 29 Mar 2023, 11:33 am

Finally find a time to shoot
Feels really nice, cycle the action is really smooth and the recoil is totally acceptable, it’s much softer than 308, ejection is always very positive and feeding is reliable without any drama

And most important thing is looking at the big holes feels right :lol
E4B306CB-7257-4A2E-A67F-1664217965DA.jpeg
E4B306CB-7257-4A2E-A67F-1664217965DA.jpeg (242.99 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles