Bore/rifling pics wanted

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Bore/rifling pics wanted

Post by chilliman » 25 Apr 2014, 11:00 am

hi guys

I'm in the market for a 303 (Mk III or III* or Mk 4). I've not bought a used firearm before so I've been doing research about what to look for etc. I have a few Skennerton books (get one if you like three-O-threes).

I understand that one of the major things to look for is bore condition. I know that looking down an illuminated bore will 'reveal all' but being that I've not looked down many bores I was wondering if anyone had any pics or links of bore pics that were worn or in average/poor condition so I don't make a mistake and get a burnt out or damaged barrel that needs replacing.

all comments appreciated!
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
223 + 308 5R's have arrived
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Bore/rifling pics wanted

Post by Chronos » 25 Apr 2014, 12:08 pm

While I'm no expert on these rifles is suggest chances are every one you see will be pretty poor unless you pay top dollar for a near unfurled example

These rifles are well and truely getting on now and most would have spent most of their lives shooting corrosive ammo. Add to that for a long time they were mis treated as farm guns and the like due to their low value (at least until 1996)

The upside of this is that while a shot out SMLE might shoot 4"-5" groups at 100m even the best service rifle competition no 1's will probably only shoot 3" groups.

You could always rebarrel one with a 2 groove, they are sometimes advertised for sale but gunsmithing and bluing might be worth more than the rifle.

Being ANZAC day is say if you're going to be shooting it just buy one with nice metal work and decent timber (not refinished) and shoot it.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Apr 2014, 3:40 pm

Totally agree with the above.

IMO originality is the key here, personally I would'nt buy a sportarised one, a rebarelled one or a bitsa one.

Also I wouldnt mind betting that at this time of year prices would be at thier highest due to a greater demand.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by chilliman » 25 Apr 2014, 3:53 pm

thanks for the posts and suggestions guys.

as far as pics go, they can be of any calibre, they don't have to be 303 bore pics (if anyone has any).
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 25 Apr 2014, 5:17 pm

chilliman wrote:thanks for the posts and suggestions guys.

as far as pics go, they can be of any calibre, they don't have to be 303 bore pics (if anyone has any).

Google bore scope images, I know there's a goid article in bore cleaning and wear on accurate shooter that has awesome images

It's often easier to see shiney sharp rifling in a bore with a light in the chamber, looking from the muzzle as most bore wear occurs in the throat

Good luck in your search

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 25 Apr 2014, 5:37 pm

Not too sure if I understand the intent here but shining a light from either end of a bore or just holding it up to a reasonable light source, even out into the sunlight and looking through the bore will show if it's dirty, it's shiney or has faults like rust marks at best.

To check out fine points like throat wear, fire crackering, worn rifling etc really needs a trained eye with a Borescope and knows how to read the images provided.

To measure bore wear it needs to be "slugged" and again experience is required to determine the results. In my view.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by von_klitzing » 25 Apr 2014, 8:10 pm

There's a pic of a pitted barrel from a rifle I was sold in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1444
Took the photo with my iPhone :)

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?
Other things to look for, when you raise the muzzle to the light and look down the barrel are dark spots, concave or convex curves running down the bore (suggesting it is bent), a dark ring down the bore suggests it may be bulged. I have some images from the theory part of my Armourers course, but they are just sketches from memory...
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by chilliman » 25 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm

G'day von_k.

That's exactly what I'm after. I just wanted to see if anyone could give me any examples of what to look out for.

Thank you.
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles