Running in a new rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Running in a new rifle

Post by offtarget » 02 May 2014, 9:28 pm

if i was to clean it after every shot how much of a clean do i do?
The way the shop tells me to clean it, takes about 25 minutes. So sone shot 25min clean for 5 shots then 3 shot then 25 min clean
At that rate i will spend all day shooting air
offtarget
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 May 2014, 9:57 pm

offtarget wrote:if i was to clean it after every shot how much of a clean do i do?
The way the shop tells me to clean it, takes about 25 minutes. So sone shot 25min clean for 5 shots then 3 shot then 25 min clean

25 minutes to clean after one shot? Jeez, you'll scrub half your barrel out.

Just apply solvent to the bore, run a brush through a few times and patch out. Repeat if necessary.

Also to avoid wasting time/ammo you should sight your rifle in while you're doing your break in
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 02 May 2014, 10:04 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:
offtarget wrote:if i was to clean it after every shot how much of a clean do i do?

25 minutes to clean after one shot? Jeez, you'll scrub half your barrel out.

Just apply solvent to the bore, run a brush through a few times and patch out. Repeat if necessary.

Also to avoid wasting time/ammo you should sight your rifle in while you're doing your break in

problem with that is the chemical reaction used by a few copper solvents takes 10-13 mins to work, so by rushing the process you never really remove the serious copper fouling (i'm talking about centerfire rifles here of course)

take a look at your solvents instructions if in doubt

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 May 2014, 10:36 pm

Chronos wrote:problem with that is the chemical reaction used by a few copper solvents takes 10-13 mins to work, so by rushing the process you never really remove the serious copper fouling (i'm talking about centerfire rifles here of course)

take a look at your solvents instructions if in doubt

Chronos

Still shouldn't take near half an hour to clean though. Takes say a minute to apply and scrub the bore, allow 10 minutes for it to do it's job, another minute to patch out and you should be good to go
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 02 May 2014, 10:49 pm

i agree in part but if i do a full clean with a full wet patch, soak, nylon brush, wet patch, soak and dry patch out for powder then 2-3 cycles the same or similar of copper solvent i'd be looking at an hour but i'm doing other stuff while thats going on. and that would only be on a "special occasion" LOL

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by chilliman » 02 May 2014, 11:16 pm

if running in a barrel is it necessary to patch out the solvent? why not fire, apply solvent, then brush and repeat? will firing with 'unpatched' solvent in the barrel have any adverse affect on anything? sorry if these are dumb questions.
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
223 + 308 5R's have arrived
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 03 May 2014, 6:42 am

Chronos wrote:i agree in part but if i do a full clean with a full wet patch, soak, nylon brush, wet patch, soak and dry patch out for powder then 2-3 cycles the same or similar of copper solvent i'd be looking at an hour but i'm doing other stuff while thats going on. and that would only be on a "special occasion" LOL

Chronos

Ah, I'm only talking one pass through. I remember when I was breaking my rifle in I could get through 4 cleans per shooting session. The shooting sessions at our range are approximately 40 minutes long and I'd be doing the 4th cleaning during the break.

When I'm cleaning my rifles for storage though it takes me around 40 minutes per rifle to clean the barrel, chamber, bolt and oil them up for storage.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by offtarget » 03 May 2014, 9:59 am

This is a break down of what the store has told me to do

Carbon remval, Hoppes 9, brush let soakfor 5 min then patch clean,

copper remval
Sweets solution, brush soak for 15 min patch clean

shot once clean as above for 5 shots
shot 3 clean as above for 3 shots.

As most of you have just talk about copper is the carbon part a waste of time
offtarget
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 03 May 2014, 10:32 am

offtarget wrote:This is a break down of what the store has told me to do

Carbon remval, Hoppes 9, brush let soakfor 5 min then patch clean,

copper remval

shot once clean as above for 5 shots
shot 3 clean as above for 3 shots.

As most of you have just talk about copper is the carbon part a waste of time

Sounds pretty close, I'm not sure I'd leave the sweets in for the full 15 mins, I'd rather do 2 X 10 minute runs cleaning out in between. The reason is that sweets 7.62 is a quite aggressive (but effective) ammonia based cleaner that will damage the bore if left in.

Probably the main reason most done talk about carbon is because in general its easy to remove with a simple soak and a scrub.

Copper in the other hand can be difficult to remove , particularly from bores in poor condition or badly machined. My K98k Israeli Mauser copper fouls terribly, while my match grade target barrels rarely show signs of copper fouling, IVe changed to copper free jags so I can identify and copper in that barrel and it usually takes just one cycle to remove all the copper

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by jays » 03 May 2014, 5:16 pm

offtarget wrote:copper remval

You can't use Sweets on all metals though right?

I can't remember which way, but you can use it on stainless, but not blued? (or vice versa, I forget)

?
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 03 May 2014, 6:05 pm

I haven't heard about not being able to use it on certain types of barrel.

Just don't leave it in too long
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 03 May 2014, 7:11 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I haven't heard about not being able to use it on certain types of barrel.

Just don't leave it in too long

Apparently the ammonia in Sweets copper solvent can affect stainless barrels by leaching out component metals in the alloy - I can neither say this is true or not as I can't test it, but just to be very safe I have taken the precaution of only leaving it in for 15 minutes at a time with stainless and as my stainless barrels don't hold copper as badly as my steel ones copper solvent isn't necessary every time I clean them.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by samf » 04 May 2014, 10:27 am

Cut and paste from a Rangemaster Precision Arms doco on barrel care.

Care of Stainless Steel Barrels

....NEVER use abrasive pastes – RPA recommends a good quality solvent for cleaning such as Hoppes number 9 or Sweets.

So that's one maker that thinks sweets is ok for stainless.
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by harlow » 04 May 2014, 10:29 am

I thought sweets was sort of a last resort for serious copper fouling that wouldn't shift?

I think I read it in an SSAA cleaning thing somewhere maybe? Don't hold me to that... Could be wrong.
Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter .223 Rem
Savage Model 25 LVT .17HMR
harlow
Private
Private

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles