SCSA pump action 223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: SCSA pump action 223

Post by S O K A R » 28 May 2023, 1:55 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXO3cVjbnc8

Starting to feel glad I went down the path of a 7615 instead.... :lol:
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by phill55phill » 28 May 2023, 8:52 am

Hillbilly rifle
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Jakethefake » 28 May 2023, 9:04 am

I haven't had any particular issues with mine yet. I haven't really put enough rounds through at once to get it hot enough though, so I should try that. Hopefully I got lucky and got a good one. The trigger is rubbish but I will look at getting the victor precision unit.
The main thing I don't like is the pump grip. Aside from the fact that its not very nice hard plastic, I find its a bit too far forward for me, even with all the length of pull spacers removed from the stock. I don't think my arms are freakishly short or anything. It obviously wasn't a concern for Ozzie but he is about 9ft tall. Hopefully there'll be an aftermarket grip available at some stage.

I actually don't mind the looks. I would prefer it to be more AR like, but its not without its charm. Even the stock, which others seem to hate, doesn't bother me.

Its a real shame about the quality issues. I have to think they've invested a ****** of time and effort and money in this thing. Starting a firearms manufacturing business in Australia, essentially from scratch, can't be an easy or cheap exercise.

It seems like you either make a low volume expensive product, and hopefully you can stay on top of the quality (Oceania, Warwick, Wedgetail) or go for more volume and lower cost, and that has to make staying on top of the quality all the more difficult.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Billo » 28 May 2023, 10:35 am

Building a new rifle from the ground would have been no easy task, but you also need to stress test and maintain a high level of QC along the way too.

Clearly a lot of smart people involved with this rifle build but when you need to spend another $499 on a drop in trigger to fix a s**t trigger well you've lost me. :thumbsdown:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jakethefake » 28 May 2023, 11:38 am

Billo wrote:Building a new rifle from the ground would have been no easy task, but you also need to stress test and maintain a high level of QC along the way too.

Clearly a lot of smart people involved with this rifle build but when you need to spend another $499 on a drop in trigger to fix a s**t trigger well you've lost me. :thumbsdown:

I didn't realise the Victor Precison triggers were that expensive. However, even if I do go that route I've still spent far less than what I would have on either an Oceania or Warwick with a forward assist kit.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Don_Stevenson » 02 Jun 2023, 10:29 am

Both the Fhuck and Ozzie reviews appear to use the earlier version of the taipan with the scale shaped cut outs in the foregrip.

In another forum someone who had seen new vs old side to side has noted that the new serial numbers appear to have a beefed up receiver and the different foregrip slots.

The advertised weight of the TL is 2.95kg but my (newer) rifle was 3.2kg (before it got a dose of tacticool).

After my second trip to the range where I had a series of light strikes I pulled mine down completely and cleaned and oiled it and swapped out the standard stock for an AR buffer and Daniels Defense stock. Swapping to the DD stock and buffer tube saves 400g from the SCSA one.

On my third trip to the range I ran 80 rounds through it and I think only had 1 light strike.

I also noticed that originally the action was very hard to cycle if the safety is on but this seems to have gotten better and its less sticky overall.

It's too early to talk about long term reliability and durability but i've got a few more range trips coming up and will keep everyone updated.

Final stage of kitting the rifle out should be complete soon once i get my flash hider and sling.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by womble » 02 Jun 2023, 2:02 pm

Thanks for your updates and detailed review
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 27 Jun 2023, 7:45 pm

There’s a few of these appearing on the used sites. Novelty worn off already? I admit that I was tempted at the time, but I think a few people may have impulse bought..
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by geoff » 29 Jun 2023, 12:00 am

Shootermick wrote:There’s a few of these appearing on the used sites. Novelty worn off already? I admit that I was tempted at the time, but I think a few people may have impulse bought..

This is the general cycle for most of the meme guns sold in aus in the last five years

The first production runs are bought by people who don't realise they are paying to beta test a product which doesn't live up to the hype

Just cast your mind back to how many threads there were here and elsewhere about "slicking up" the first run of Adlers so they didn't jam every other shell
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Total_immortal » 27 Jul 2023, 3:47 pm

Got an email today, Cleavers have this on sale for $1450! Haven't even shot mine yet that I paid $700 more for
Total_immortal
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AussieYob » 27 Jul 2023, 4:07 pm

Total_immortal wrote:Got an email today, Cleavers have this on sale for $1450! Haven't even shot mine yet that I paid $700 more for

I just saw that email.

A couple of mates went and looked at them recently at Toowoomba and are keen. At that price I am almost tempted to grab one.
AussieYob
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Don_Stevenson » 29 Jul 2023, 6:18 pm

So I've just ticked over 500 rounds through mine including some more dynamic shooting a few weeks ago on a mates farm.

I'll do a write up later this weekend of my thoughts so if you want to jump on the new pricing you know what you are getting into.

The short version is that the current production rifles seem to be fairly good but are by no means perfect but at $1500 they could be decent value.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 30 Jul 2023, 3:35 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:So I've just ticked over 500 rounds through mine including some more dynamic shooting a few weeks ago on a mates farm.

I'll do a write up later this weekend of my thoughts so if you want to jump on the new pricing you know what you are getting into.

The short version is that the current production rifles seem to be fairly good but are by no means perfect but at $1500 they could be decent value.

Looking for ward to your ‘review’. Is it correct that you have one of the later versions (V2? :lol: )?

Is Cerakote still ******?

I see from your pic above there’s quite a few small ‘nicks’ around the ejection port. Reviews said it was very poor coating. SCSA did say it was originally a contractor and they were taking it in house.

Any issues with the jamming/sticking when cycling?

I see they’re $700 discounted at the moment. Gotta ask yourself, why?

Thanks for your hands on feedback!
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ocky » 31 Jul 2023, 12:42 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:After my second trip to the range where I had a series of light strikes I pulled mine down completely and cleaned and oiled it and swapped out the standard stock for an AR buffer and Daniels Defense stock. Swapping to the DD stock and buffer tube saves 400g from the SCSA one.

On my third trip to the range I ran 80 rounds through it and I think only had 1 light strike.

Did you get more light strikes from a certain type of ammo or was it all types? and did you pull apart the BCG to clean/oil to improve the strikes?

I recently got one of these rifles, overall very happy with it but had 3 light strikes out of a box of 20 winchester super x BTHP 223 ammo. The groupings on that ammo were astonishingly good, every single one was on point with < 1 inch. Downside was the light strikes.

I also tried winshester super x jacketed soft point, had no light strikes but the groupings weren't as good at around 1 to 1.5 inches.

I haven't pulled mine apart yet just sprayed in some oil.
ocky
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 14 Sep 2023, 4:43 pm

Did you get more light strikes from a certain type of ammo or was it all types? and did you pull apart the BCG to clean/oil to improve the strikes?

I recently got one of these rifles, overall very happy with it but had 3 light strikes out of a box of 20 winchester super x BTHP 223 ammo. The groupings on that ammo were astonishingly good, every single one was on point with < 1 inch. Downside was the light strikes.

I also tried winshester super x jacketed soft point, had no light strikes but the groupings weren't as good at around 1 to 1.5 inches.

I haven't pulled mine apart yet just sprayed in some oil.[/quote]

I had the same experience with the two Winchester rounds you mention, Super X BTHP was accurate but prone to light strikes and the heavier 64gr soft points were more reliable but less accurate.

I've now run another couple hundred rounds through it and tested some more ammo types.

Hornady ballistic tips run fine
Fiocchi hollow points won't feed as they catch on the feed ramp
Sako soft points run ok but accuracy isn't fantastic
Winchester FMJ runs ok

Overall the best ammo for reliability and accuracy is ADI with Sierra Blitzkings. Only downside is it's much more expensive.

And when I cleaned it after the first 80 rounds I pulled the BCG apart and continue to do so after every 200 or so rounds.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 15 Sep 2023, 5:31 pm

I just saw that they’ve bought out a straight pull model.
Why do some of these rifles put the charging handle on the left hand side?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Sep 2023, 6:38 pm

Shootermick wrote:I just saw that they’ve bought out a straight pull model.
Why do some of these rifles put the charging handle on the left hand side?

So you can operate them without losing your right hand grip.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 15 Sep 2023, 9:06 pm

Actually, it’s still a pump, and a straight pull as well… On the same rifle… I think…
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Billo » 15 Sep 2023, 11:08 pm

I reckon i've seen close to a 8 or 9 Taipans at the range in the last 12 months and not a seen single 1 that has produced sub moa 5 shot groups. Spoke to a fellow range user today and an inch and half for 5 shots is all it can do.

Are the barrels the problem, the triggers or the owners ??

I certainly wouldn't waste my hard earned on 1. And yes he had feed issues. FMD how could a company release a product without thoroughly testing of the most commonly available ammo ?? amateur hr level stuff
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 16 Sep 2023, 4:15 am

Honest question. If it’s chambered for 5.56 and you’re using 223 is that a possible reason why you’d have feeding issues and less than optimal accuracy ?
I think sub moa might be a big ask of this rifle. That trigger is probably not helpful there. And for what it is I don’t think it’s a deal breaker.
But it really should be reliable.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles