SCSA pump action 223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: SCSA pump action 223

Post by Avok » 17 Sep 2022, 2:39 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Hopefully there's a buffer tube adaptor so that goofy buttstock can be replaced with something like an UBR or other telescopic options

Manael/Ignition Engineering used to make one for the TSPX chassis by SCSA which would be compatible with this rifle, but they have been out of stock for awhile now.

https://shop.iceng.com.au/buffer-tube-s ... sa-chassis
Avok
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 17 Sep 2022, 6:01 pm

Folding telescopic 300bo and it's a shut up and take my money rifle.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 17 Sep 2022, 7:58 pm

I have no interest in an "AR style" pump, bolt-action or other action. If we were allowed to own a semi-auto AR I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Avok » 17 Sep 2022, 8:01 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Folding telescopic 300bo and it's a shut up and take my money rifle.

Apparently a .300blk is in the works according to SCSAs facebook page, definitely would be interested in one myself.
Avok
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Jakethefake » 21 Sep 2022, 3:28 am

I've put down a deposit for one of these. I've wanted a pump action 223 ever since I've had a licence. But I never liked the 7615 and other options have always been thin on the ground. I handled a warwick and an oceania precision at cleavers. They were both very nice, but the warwick I found too heavy for what I wanted. The oceania precision was exactly what I wanted as far as weight/size, but no FABA kit seems to available. And they're both a stretch for my budget. Oceania is supposedly coming out with a pump of their own, but I'm not holding my breath for that, and the price will surely be similar to the current straight pulls.

The SCSA should fall somewhere in between the warwick and the oceania weight wise, as far as I can tell without laying my eyes and hands on one. The price is much easier to stomach than the other two.

On top of that, I'm absolutely tickled pink that we know have multiple companies, in 2022, having a go at making some interesting and somewhat unique firearms that make the most of the situation with our silly laws.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Avok » 21 Sep 2022, 9:18 am

Jakethefake wrote: On top of that, I'm absolutely tickled pink that we know have multiple companies, in 2022, having a go at making some interesting and somewhat unique firearms that make the most of the situation with our silly laws.

Yep I agree, especially because we can't import similar rifles made overseas. I'm interested to see how Oceania and especially Warwick will react when the Taipan is actually available in stores (Any day now, hopefully), considering it's supposed to be coming in at half the cost of a WFA1 w/ FABA kit.
Avok
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 18 Nov 2022, 7:15 pm

I think these are in a few shops now. Not my local shops though.
Anyone actually had a look and handle of one??
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by snag » 22 Nov 2022, 7:34 pm

It looks like something out of "Starship Troopers", but I'm feeling a bit of an attraction. Probably the closest I'd get to my old Mini 14 back in the day. Not sure about the straight trigger but - I wonder if it's replaceable.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 22 Nov 2022, 9:02 pm

There’s one at my local now. I might get in for a look soon. I’m tossing up between one of these and a 223 BLR.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 25 Nov 2022, 7:29 pm

I managed to get in and check the Taipan out today. The tactical look isn’t usually my thing, but the gun was definitely nice. Nicely balanced, smooth to cycle, pretty impressed really. Would be a pain to give the barrel a wipe down though, with having to remove the chassis forend and pump set up. Almost bought one, but still trying to decide between the Taipan and a BLR. Hmmm….the decisions we have to make.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 06 Dec 2022, 2:13 pm

Go the BLR in a .308 or something with a bit more knock down than a 223 .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Shootermick » 06 Dec 2022, 5:02 pm

JohnV wrote:Go the BLR in a .308 or something with a bit more knock down than a 223 .

I’ve already got a 308 BLR, and was actually thinking about another one in 223, or the Taipan for something a bit different
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 06 Dec 2022, 6:26 pm

Shootermick wrote: Almost bought one, but still trying to decide between the Taipan and a BLR. Hmmm….the decisions we have to make.

? .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Shootermick » 06 Dec 2022, 7:10 pm

JohnV wrote:
Shootermick wrote: Almost bought one, but still trying to decide between the Taipan and a BLR. Hmmm….the decisions we have to make.

? .

Between the Taipan 223 and a BLR 223 is what I mean.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 Dec 2022, 6:09 pm

Had a look at one myself today. Absolutely hideous but I gotta admit it seemed pretty well made. Still not what I'd consider light,and personally don't really see the point to a pump action 223. Ergonomics seemed good,just completely nothing like what I'm used to. Safety is in a great spot though,very much unlike the safety on a 7600. It would be a good buy if its what floats your boat.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 10 Dec 2022, 10:47 am

Had a play with one in store. Kinda disappointed. I'd say it's priced about right though. Not in the same league as Warwick or OP. Trigger is awful. Not sure how it takes down but it's not an AR style take retained take down pin. Looks like a handful of screws and it comes apart for cleaning. I was keen but I'll pass now.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 10 Dec 2022, 11:14 am

How they take down for cleaning is a big issue and your smart to suss that out before buying .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by S O K A R » 01 Jan 2023, 8:56 pm

First review I've been able to find on youtube for anyone interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLnvRJ068m8
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Billo » 01 Jan 2023, 9:14 pm

Quite a noisy MF when cycled, give me a BLR every day of the week, also heard a few have already been returned with a heat treated part failing ( early days so Im sure they ll sort out a few gremlins.)
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 01 Jan 2023, 9:21 pm

Good to finally see a review.
But that bloke is hard to listen to and watch.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Don_Stevenson » 10 Feb 2023, 10:18 am

Hey guys, I haven't been posting much recently, work and life got busy and so all I've been doing is the occasional trip to the range with my 22 but for better or worse I've just dropped a deposit on one of these.

The local shop has got 25 of them on order and there were a couple that weren't spoken for.

They are due in later this month and once I get my hands on it I will do a detailed review.

I'm going to full tacticool it with an LVPO and an offset red dot and see how that goes
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Avok » 10 Feb 2023, 12:27 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:I'm going to full tacticool it with an LVPO and an offset red dot and see how that goes

Haha that's the way to do it! Hopefully they iron out the issues that were popping up with the initial batch of rifles soon (I know the cam pins were a big one).

Just make sure you do your research on LPVOs, they can be a bit hit or miss, a lot of them are a series of compromises, and the more budget ones are way too heavy for the capabilities they offer. That being said, I am a big fan of LPVOs, I definitely prefer the look of them compared to more traditional scopes.
Avok
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 10 Feb 2023, 7:48 pm

They're currently trying to get the decision that led to them being prohibited here in Tas overturned, I don't like their chances but never know.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Don_Stevenson » 24 Apr 2023, 5:33 pm

The Taipan turned up today and as I was working from home I was able to pick it up as soon as I got the call.

Need to mount up the scope and take it to the range!
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 24 Apr 2023, 7:31 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:The Taipan turned up today and as I was working from home I was able to pick it up as soon as I got the call.

Need to mount up the scope and take it to the range!

What’s your main use going to be for it? Fun is a legitimate answer.
Be sure to let us all know how it goes. Not many reviews of it out there yet.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Don_Stevenson » 28 Apr 2023, 8:29 am

I got back into shooting after a long break last year and started with a Lithgow 22 set up for target shooting. I was looking at my next rifle being a long range rig but I realised I don't have the time to devote to that sort of thing because of other activities and the distance to suitable ranges.

So when I saw the Taipan I thought it would be a versatile way to shoot out to 300m if I feel like it but also with the ability to do some feral pest hunting and also a good non threatening calibre for taking friends out to try shooting including my kids who are getting old enough to give it a go.

I've mounted up the scope and if things go to plan I'll be sneaking out this afternoon to zero and give it a run.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 08 May 2023, 12:20 pm

SCSA Taipan Light Review

Session 1 – 0 to 80 rounds – LPVO only, no bipod

Here are my initial impressions after my first range trip with the Taipan.

Set up – The new Taipans have changed the scale shaped slots on the angled upper sides of the fore end to slots that look like M Lok but which are narrower. The front end has 2 M Lok slots at 3, 6 and 9 o’clock.

I mounted my scope, a Vector Optic Continental 1-6x on one piece rings, more on the scope later.

Initial impressions are that unloaded the action cycles smoothly as long as the safety is off. With the safety on there is a noticeable hang up to cock the action. It’s not impossible but takes a lot of force and sort of feels like you are doing something wrong. Checking the manual reveals several mentions of keeping the safety on while cycling the action so this seems a bit odd.

Build quality, fit and finish look fine and more refined than some photos of prototypes and early examples, in particular the shiny plastic A2 style grip has been replaced with a much nicer looking, and feeling rubber overmoulded version that has SCSA markings.

The trigger is fairly heavy but doesn’t have huge creep and I found it acceptable for a rifle of this style.

The standard stock is heavy and really fugly but given the whole NSW appearance laws and AR style stocks being treated like they are the end of the world I can see why they left it as is from the TSP Chassis. I have an adapter and new stock coming.

Before shooting I ran a little ballistol and some patches down the barrel to make sure it was clean.

At the range.

Local range is St Marys so it got zeroed at 50m. Ammo was cheap Winchester super x 55 gr which was a bargain at $500 for 500 rounds at my local shop. I did also buy one box of Winchester 64gr soft tips at the range but the accuracy was worse with those.
Accuracy was acceptable, shooting off a front rest I was able to zero quickly and then consistently hit groups that were around an inch without putting a huge amount of effort into the absolute highest precision.

The action was a little stiff sometimes, particularly on extraction but that may get better over time.
I also shot about 20 rounds standing which was fun. I did get two rounds that failed to fire with light strikes.

Overall I was happy with how it handles and performs and will keep an eye on any changes as the barrel and action wear in.

Oh yeah, I did not follow the break in procedure in the manual which calls for cleaning after every 3-6 shots for something like 50 rounds, particularly because cleaning the barrel properly is a royal pain and requires a lot of disassembly.

Session 2 – 81 – 140 rounds – LPVO, Red Dot, bipod mounted.

A week later and some more bits have arrived, most notably a Warne 45 degree mount, Vector Frenzy red dot and UTG Recon Flex 2 bipod.

Went to mount everything and ran into my first issue which was that the mount for the scope is quite low and caused the zoom ring to rub on the red dot if the dot was mounted on the back section of the receiver. Moved the dot as far forward on the receiver as possible but ended up with it on the fore end so accuracy my be a bit variable.

Even under the front end of the scope its tight to get to the brightness + button and the windage turret obscures part of the sight window.
The UTG Recon flex bipod bolted straight on to the Mlok slots with minimal fiddling and I added a QD cup underneath for a sling.

Got to the range and zeroed the red dot which took a bit of fiddling since the Frenzy doesn’t have clicks so it was a bit of trial and error to get right.
Settled on a 35 metre zero.

Checked the zero on the scope since the mount had been on and off a couple of times and then shot some groups, again, around an inch at 50m and did a little bit of standing with the red dot.

This time I had a series of light strikes after about 40 rounds and called it a day after 60 rounds.

Going to pull it down and clean everything in case there is something causing friction in the firing pin hole or bot carrier.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 08 May 2023, 12:21 pm

IMG_3005.jpeg
IMG_3005.jpeg (576.87 KiB) Viewed 50071 times
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Total_immortal » 21 May 2023, 7:25 pm

Seems this guy really isn't a big fan of it in it's current state.

https://youtu.be/u47K-lWHc3U

Of course I asked my local LGS and they had nothing but praise for it saying they had sold plenty and had none returned so not sure what's going on there
Total_immortal
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bazz » 22 May 2023, 6:01 pm

Total_immortal wrote:Seems this guy really isn't a big fan of it in it's current state.

https://youtu.be/u47K-lWHc3U

Of course I asked my local LGS and they had nothing but praise for it saying they had sold plenty and had none returned so not sure what's going on there

Almost word for word what my LGS over here said...
Bazz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles