Tikka T3x synthetic not free floating

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka T3x synthetic not free floating

Post by solarpak » 03 May 2022, 4:07 pm

Hi folks,
just wish to get a general consensus amongst Tikka T3x owners with rifles sporting synthetic stocks.
I added a standard T3x in .30-06 with the green polymer stock to the collection . Having owned several T3 / T3x Hunters with the walnut stocks in the past i knew these barrels were fully free floated .
Examined the .30-06 and discovered the barrel doesn't not free float - there is a pressure point approx 70-80 mm inf ront of the chamber.
Research on the 'net has discovered this is common on the synthetic stocked T3x's - despite Beretta Australia stating on their website that 'all Tikka T3x barrels free float'

My rifle shoots fine - for a hunting rifle where you may fire a couple of shots - but when range testing and heating up the barrel, i would wonder if the POI could change with this pressure point?

Many folk would say leave as is - others would say float it - but for a rifle that marketed with the 'free-floating barrel' being a major selling point - what's the go with that?

I have contacted Beretta Australia and am awaiting a response to my communication .

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Tikka T3x synthetic not free floating

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2022, 4:28 pm

solarpak wrote:Hi folks,
just wish to get a general consensus amongst Tikka T3x owners with rifles sporting synthetic stocks.
I added a standard T3x in .30-06 with the green polymer stock to the collection . Having owned several T3 / T3x Hunters with the walnut stocks in the past i knew these barrels were fully free floated .
Examined the .30-06 and discovered the barrel doesn't not free float - there is a pressure point approx 70-80 mm inf ront of the chamber.
Research on the 'net has discovered this is common on the synthetic stocked T3x's - despite Beretta Australia stating on their website that 'all Tikka T3x barrels free float'

My rifle shoots fine - for a hunting rifle where you may fire a couple of shots - but when range testing and heating up the barrel, i would wonder if the POI could change with this pressure point?

Many folk would say leave as is - others would say float it - but for a rifle that marketed with the 'free-floating barrel' being a major selling point - what's the go with that?

I have contacted Beretta Australia and am awaiting a response to my communication .

C.

I wouldn't do anything unless it's causing an issue, some barrels like pressure points.
I guess they're saying it's floated forward of the chamber. I agree, that is still part of the barrel and if it's in contact with anything then the barrel is not fully-floated, only partly floated. But are they claiming the barrel is "fully floated" or merely "free floating"?

It might shift POI when it gets hot, it might not. Do you modify the rifle to possibly work better at the range or do you leave it as a field rifle?

I'd be surprised if anybody is still using "free floating barrel" as a marketing point nowadays. I had a quick look at some of the polymer models on the website and I couldn't see any mention of the barrels being floated at all.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 03 May 2022, 4:39 pm

Blade,
checked the BA website - 'free-floating' is their wording.(look at the T3X Lite model )

No an issue to myself as its only a hunting rifle at that - and intend to leave it as purchased (new)

Shoots 3-shots (hand-loads) into an inch -which is fine for my application.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2022, 5:06 pm

solarpak wrote:Blade,
checked the BA website - 'free-floating' is their wording.(look at the T3X Lite model )

No an issue to myself as its only a hunting rifle at that - and intend to leave it as purchased (new)

C.

Beretta are only the importer not the manufacturer, I didn't even look at their site. Like most advertising I think they can make that claim even if only one-inch of the barrel is floating, and as you've said, most of the barrel is indeed free floating.

If you were unhappy with the rifle and looking for a loophole for a refund you could try it perhaps, otherwise I wouldn't worry at all. The rifle sticks the bullets where you need them to go, so go shooting and enjoy it :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 03 May 2022, 5:56 pm

bladeracer wrote:

C.

Beretta are only the importer not the manufacturer

Well actually Beretta own sako and tikka
Last edited by deye243 on 05 May 2022, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 03 May 2022, 6:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:

C.

Beretta are only the importer not the manufacturer, I didn't even look at their site. Like most advertising I think they can make that claim even if only one-inch of the barrel is floating, and as you've said, most of the barrel is indeed free floating.

If you were unhappy with the rifle and looking for a loophole for a refund you could try it perhaps, otherwise I wouldn't worry at all. The rifle sticks the bullets where you need them to go, so go shooting and enjoy it :-)

Yep intend to Blade,
never had any issues with the good old Tikka and as a hunting outfit it should fill the freezer with venison.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 03 May 2022, 7:44 pm

My fullwood m17 shoots x10 into 1.5moa at 800m, if you’re doing your bit. Free floating isn’t the be-all. Just depends on the harmonics.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 04 May 2022, 11:32 am

Mate I have a T3X lite and had an issue identical to yours. I messed with for ages however ended up just getting a Boyd’s and now it shoots like a champion. Not an ideal solution I know to spend more coin but it definitely fixed mine.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 04 May 2022, 8:09 pm

Funny you mention this as a mate had issues with his T3x 223, some nites under the spotlight it was too inconsistent so often it got put away for a Howa.

He ended up trying a T1x stock off a 17 HMR I had lent him and all of a sudden it was more consistent. I had removed the barrel support from the stock and the barrel was fully free floated, Its a stupid set up and definitely needs removing :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 04 May 2022, 10:31 pm

Yeah not ideal at all mate. The recoil lug didn’t seem to sit right either, I tried to put a bit of bedding compound under it to lift it to the right height to no avail. New stock and a stainless recoil lug turned it into a tack driver.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 06 May 2022, 12:02 am

I am about to take a so called new tikka 223 varmint 1:8
back to the shop as it doesn't even hold 2.5 moa at 200 .
When I took it out of the box it even had a powder residue star on the Crown.
The barrel was absolutely filthy as far as I'm concerned because I had to order this rifle through my country gun shop they sent me a reject that someone else had returned.
I will start up a thread later on and we will see where this goes.

Having said this I have a Tikka tac A1 which is superbly accurate .
And this is the only reason I did not purchase another howa as between my two sons and I we have have 5 rifles that shoot outstanding groups.
unless this is made right I will not be going back to tikka
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bill » 06 May 2022, 7:58 am

It's called Tikka lotto for a reason :lol:

Gunsmiths love Tikka's, they would have to be the No1 rebarreled rifle make in the country ;)

but seriously deye243 have you tried either the Tikka or Sako branded ammo, Ive been shooting the Sako 222 Rem ammo in my old Brno and the groups sizes are close to half MOA
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 06 May 2022, 3:20 pm

The importers finally got back to me and needless to say - none the wiser.
Leave it as is till a new stock beckons......
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 06 May 2022, 3:42 pm

solarpak wrote:The importers finally got back to me and needless to say - none the wiser.
C.

i put my tikka's (223, 7-08 ) in bell and carlson stocks and they are rediculously accurate and consistant with handloads . my 223 t3 lite went from .6's to bug holes once i ditched the plastic stock . seriously, if you can afford one , their worth it . both mine however, needed detailing on the floorplate and action inletting .
hope this helps . or just grind out the preasure point in your stock :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 06 May 2022, 4:40 pm

bigrich wrote:
solarpak wrote:The importers finally got back to me and needless to say - none the wiser.
C.

i put my tikka's (223, 7-08 ) in bell and carlson stocks and they are rediculously accurate and consistant with handloads . my 223 t3 lite went from .6's to bug holes once i ditched the plastic stock . seriously, if you can afford one , their worth it . both mine however, needed detailing on the floorplate and action inletting .
hope this helps . or just grind out the preasure point in your stock :thumbsup:

A Bell & Carlson / HS Precision etc... seriously on the cards....but I took the stock off tonight the rifle for closer inspection and did notice that there was a irregular bit of polymer on one of the cross braces where my 'dollar bill' was hanging up - i carefully removed this with just a sharp knife - and the profile on both sides was now the same.
Reinstalled the stock to the barrelled action and torqued the action screws to 40 in/lbs - much better and more consistent in that once the 'dollar bill' passed the point where it would hang up - it slid up towards the chamber and couldn't go any further than ~ 40mm from the chamber.
Obviously being an injection moulded polymer stock they can be prone to small inaccuracies.

I will take it out to the range again and just check the POI - its a 30-06 and if i can shoot 1MOA with it then thats plenty for my application as a deer rifle out to 300m. The rifle was bought thru Magnums when they were selling then for ~$1200 new and shelling out another $600 for a B&C would be nice - if i can find one second hand that could be an option- or alternatively a walnut T3x off take

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles