357 Rossi citadel 16.5 in barrel

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

357 Rossi citadel 16.5 in barrel

Post by Blr243 » 07 May 2022, 3:55 pm

Does you own one ? What sort of accuracy can I expect with factory ammunition? Applied PTA this morning and paid my dep My local has em in stock ... they are fitted with a ghost peep. I may fit a red dot holo
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: 357 Rossi citadel 16.5 in barrel

Post by Fionn » 07 May 2022, 6:06 pm

Not 357mag but See here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16627

I looked at them, but decided to get the Stainless steel version.

I didn't like the big loop and the fit of the loop to the stock (large gap).
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 07 May 2022, 6:39 pm

Depends. What sort of sample size are we talking? 3-shot? 5-shot? 20-shot? group
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 May 2022, 7:02 pm

Blr243 wrote:Does you own one ? What sort of accuracy can I expect with factory ammunition? Applied PTA this morning and paid my dep My local has em in stock ... they are fitted with a ghost peep. I may fit a red dot holo

I would expect it to shoot similar to most .357 Magnum levers, about 2" at 50m off the bench.
I had a look through some vids and the rifle is really aimed at practical types of competition and hunting rather than target shooting. I only found one guy that even tried quantifying its accuracy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ob3I2p8V50 jump to 4:00 for the target shooting, five shots only so not an in depth look.
About 1.5" I guess at 25m with a reflex site off the bench. But that was just one handload he tried, no load development or testing factory ammo to find what the rifle likes.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 07 May 2022, 8:36 pm

Blr243 wrote:What sort of accuracy can I expect with factory ammunition?

Rossi's generally shoot around 1 to 1 1/2 inches at 50 metres with factory loads.

ozziereviews does a review of the SS Rossi and gets about this, they are basically the same rifle with different configurations.

https://youtu.be/5vvRQhVM_E0
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 08 May 2022, 3:37 am

Perfect for clearing rooms in urban warfare.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 May 2022, 8:24 am

Thanks men It’s gonna be a light weight rifle for an old man ( me ) walking up creeks in hot weather Cape York... so according to your info If I put a red dot on it and have a reasonable rest it will cleanly take boars and dingoes at 75 m
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 08 May 2022, 9:14 am

Yes, even out to 100m if you play your part well.

Something like a leupold deltapoint pro or similar would suit it.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 May 2022, 9:46 am

Yes Fion I was being conservative. Many years ago I bought a 357 Rossi. It was perfectly suited to be my bike gun in a scabbard that ran down my front forks . I walked melon hole country and took a fair few pigs close range unscoped no problem but ended up selling it to a mate ....so now it’s time to have one again . Can anyone tell me if I can load and unload by undo ing the tube mag at the front of the citadel or do I have to unload by cycling the action ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 08 May 2022, 9:52 am

Blr243 wrote:Yes Fion I was being conservative. Many years ago I bought a 357 Rossi. It was perfectly suited to be my bike gun in a scabbard that ran down my front forks . I walked melon hole country and took a fair few pigs close range unscoped no problem but ended up selling it to a mate ....so now it’s time to have one again . Can anyone tell me if I can load and unload by undo ing the tube mag at the front of the citadel or do I have to unload by cycling the action ?

Cycling, but it does have a safety which makes it safer I guess.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 May 2022, 12:47 pm

Bugger. I’ll just have to deal with it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 May 2022, 5:30 pm

Blr243 wrote:Yes Fion I was being conservative. Many years ago I bought a 357 Rossi. It was perfectly suited to be my bike gun in a scabbard that ran down my front forks . I walked melon hole country and took a fair few pigs close range unscoped no problem but ended up selling it to a mate ....so now it’s time to have one again . Can anyone tell me if I can load and unload by undo ing the tube mag at the front of the citadel or do I have to unload by cycling the action ?

I immediately thought of this video on reading your question. Hope it works for you :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCn3fxR ... L&index=43
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 May 2022, 6:15 pm

The vid worked good. I do own an 1895 in 4570. Never knew I could empty the magazine like that. Am I sposed to be able to do same with the citadel I wonder ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 May 2022, 7:10 pm

Blr243 wrote:The vid worked good. I do own an 1895 in 4570. Never knew I could empty the magazine like that. Am I sposed to be able to do same with the citadel I wonder ?

That's what I wondered :) so I posted the vid.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2022, 7:22 pm

If it's the same as the Rossi '92 you can unload out the loading gate.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 May 2022, 8:18 pm

That would be fine blade. I can’t see why a different model of Rossi would not have the same feature as the 92
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 10 May 2022, 4:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:If it's the same as the Rossi '92 you can unload out the loading gate.

You can't unload a Rossi 92 via the loading gate. (well it you could with tools, but it would be difficult)

If you don't want to cycle the round into the chamber, you can just tip it out.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 10 May 2022, 7:00 pm

Cycling - but you can do it without a round ever entering the chamber. Just tip the round on the shell carrier out of the rifle before you close the lever. Repeat until empty.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 11 May 2022, 10:11 am

Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote:If it's the same as the Rossi '92 you can unload out the loading gate.

You can't unload a Rossi 92 via the loading gate. (well it you could with tools, but it would be difficult)

If you don't want to cycle the round into the chamber, you can just tip it out.

My apologies, you are correct. The Rossi '92 can't be unloaded via the loading gate.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 27 May 2022, 8:35 pm

I own 2, standard blued 20" barrel though. Also sold a 24" stainless to Bladeracer a while back. Accuracy as mentioned with all the R92's, 4-5" at 100, occasionally you find a load that does 2-3". 125m+ range is doable with a good load and appropriate sights. The twist on Rossi's is 1:30 which is on the slow side. At full power/factory ammo it will stabilise anything up to long bullets like the 180XTP but if you are reloading low speed/subsonics 158 grainers is often the limit. A lot of literature says max power in 357 is gotten from 16" of barrel, this is usually with factory loads . For heavy handloads using 2205, 300MP or Lilgun you can keep having slight gains up to a 24" barrel. Of all the 92's the Rossi is made to have the best chance of cycling 38 special length as well as 357, but it is gun dependant. The bores on Rossi 357's is usually pretty tight, often slugging around true 357 if you intend to run cast. My go-to gun has an aftermarket rail with Bushnell red dot( 3 MOA I think) in the scout position and a high lumen 1" torch under the mag tube with remote pressure switch on the right foregrip( held in place with double sided tape :) )I think the citadel would be fun, Id get one but dont like trapper length barrels.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 27 May 2022, 9:05 pm

Thanks mick interesting. I used one roughly 20 yrs ago but sold it to a mate ... my latest Purchase sees me getting back into it again. If all goes well I shall get it goin on a big hunt about 3 weeks time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 28 May 2022, 10:25 am

Blr243 wrote:Thanks mick interesting. I used one roughly 20 yrs ago but sold it to a mate ... my latest Purchase sees me getting back into it again. If all goes well I shall get it goin on a big hunt about 3 weeks time

Hey mate, I sent u a msg, u can call me if you like.

From the manual the rear (peep) sight rotates to move up and down I think....
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 28 May 2022, 3:15 pm

Hi tubs. I got your pm. Thanks. I know how to slide the rear sight but I was hoping u had already sighted yours so I know where to start mine off. Just to savE me abitoftime on the range. But I think I’ll just set it half way height to start off and then just adjust at required
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 28 May 2022, 7:04 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks men It’s gonna be a light weight rifle for an old man ( me ) walking up creeks in hot weather Cape York... so according to your info If I put a red dot on it and have a reasonable rest it will cleanly take boars and dingoes at 75 m

Hmmm...... er......... um....... wouldn't a BLR in .243 be pretty handy. :crazy:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Vet Re: 357 Rossi citadel 16.5 in barrel

Post by Blr243 » 28 May 2022, 7:22 pm

Spot on Yrs ago when 95 per cent of my hunting was with a bow I took the only rifle I had to Cape York with me and it was my blr 243. Recently I gave it to my father. He loves it but maybe it’s the decades of military experience he don’t mind horrible triggers ... I could hunt with that rifle but spotlighting smaller target s at longer ranges the trigger I couldn’t deal with it anymore
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Vet Re: 357 Rossi citadel 16.5 in barrel

Post by in2anity » 28 May 2022, 7:38 pm

Blr243 wrote:Spot on Yrs ago when 95 per cent of my hunting was with a bow I took the only rifle I had to Cape York with me and it was my blr 243. Recently I gave it to my father. He loves it but maybe it’s the decades of military experience he don’t mind horrible triggers ... I could hunt with that rifle but spotlighting smaller target s at longer ranges the trigger I couldn’t deal with it anymore

It's all a matter of perspective. You get quite used to horrible triggers, given enough time on a gun.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 29 May 2022, 7:11 pm

Mine is good. But its an old Pre 81 made by FN.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 30 May 2022, 1:07 am

Blr243 wrote:Hi tubs. I got your pm. Thanks. I know how to slide the rear sight but I was hoping u had already sighted yours so I know where to start mine off. Just to savE me abitoftime on the range. But I think I’ll just set it half way height to start off and then just adjust at required

Havent sighted mine in yet champion. Waiting for silverdale to re-open
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 30 May 2022, 7:47 am

Thanks tubs. Range closed upgrade or Reno’s or Covid ? I have no idea where silver dale range is
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 31 May 2022, 6:17 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks tubs. Range closed upgrade or Reno’s or Covid ? I have no idea where silver dale range is

Silverdale is SQ Sydney matey. Rain damage from the floods.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles