300 Win Mag

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

300 Win Mag

Post by 2 Clicks Up » 08 May 2022, 7:26 am

G’Day everyone. Just signed up. I just purchased and used Winchester XPR chambered in 300 Win Mag. I got it at a pretty good price (well I think I did), as the retailer stated the barrel had been “shot out”, but the rest of the rifle is in pretty good order. I purchased the rifle as a project, and it will eventually see a new custom barrel. I know the XPR’s get mixed reviews at best, but, seriously, I would imagine it would take a fair amount of shooting to “shoot out” a barrel on a 300 Win Mag; they’re not exactly a high volume everyday truck rifle. Anyway, I’m going to pull it apart, clean it thoroughly and put it all back together with everything torqued down properly, then shoot it and just see what happens. I’d be interested to hear various opinions on this subject. I have a feeling this may be a work in progress for some time.
2 Clicks Up
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: 300 Win Mag

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 May 2022, 7:35 pm

2 Clicks Up wrote:G’Day everyone. Just signed up. I just purchased and used Winchester XPR chambered in 300 Win Mag. I got it at a pretty good price (well I think I did), as the retailer stated the barrel had been “shot out”, but the rest of the rifle is in pretty good order. I purchased the rifle as a project, and it will eventually see a new custom barrel. I know the XPR’s get mixed reviews at best, but, seriously, I would imagine it would take a fair amount of shooting to “shoot out” a barrel on a 300 Win Mag; they’re not exactly a high volume everyday truck rifle. Anyway, I’m going to pull it apart, clean it thoroughly and put it all back together with everything torqued down properly, then shoot it and just see what happens. I’d be interested to hear various opinions on this subject. I have a feeling this may be a work in progress for some time.

Sounds like a cool project.
Sometimes one man's "shot out" barrel can be sorted with some load development.
I'd be having a look at the throat and landings with a borescope to determine if it's actually worn and how bad.
I'd bet the 300 wm would burn out pretty quickly with a cowboy on the trigger getting it HOT

Keep us posted with your progress :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 2 Clicks Up » 09 May 2022, 7:41 pm

Agreed, but, particularly with something like the 300 Win Mag, running red-hot loads, or even overloads, the rifle would tell you pretty quickly. Super hot loads in those big calibers will roll you head backwards, or you’ll have trouble extracting spent brass, or you’ll split brass or blow primers out. Either way, it’ll be worth it in the end.
2 Clicks Up
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 09 May 2022, 8:00 pm

Its not so much how hot you load it but how hot you keep getting the barrel through multiple shots without cool down time
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Faedy » 09 May 2022, 11:19 pm

^^ as animalpest, plus the throats erode fairly quickly with hot loads on some factory barrels.
Give it a good going over like you say, and try some load development, and fingers crossed, you are on a winner.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 10 May 2022, 3:18 pm

While you're at it mate, take a look at the rifling at the muzzle with a magnifying glass :) :thumbsup:
Come to think of it, do it before cleaning the bore just in case the muzzle-end is damaged/whatever.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wyliecoyote » 10 May 2022, 8:49 pm

I personally think the 300 Win Mag is a cartridge that is often overlooked these days in competition circles with many going to short fat beltless cartridges or even larger capacity cases. But here is the rub with it as a general hunting cartridge. If you have a barrel shorter than 26 inches, you're better off with a 30/06 or the greatly overlooked 300 Saum. The 300 Win Mag really comes into its own in barrels around 30 inches long using powders like Reloder, 22, 25, 26 and 33, ADI 2213 and 2217 and possibly 2225 with bullets heavier than 200 grains.
I shot a 300 WM in competition for a number of years, mainly using 200 grain match pills and 2217. The load i used give or take depending on the barrel was 77 grains of 2217 with a 200 grain match pill in RWS cases for a velocity of 3120 fps out of 30 inch barrels. Some were quicker, some slower but 3120 was about what i saw on average. Now in a 24 inch barrel that load might break 2800 fps because 2217 burns slower and longer with a lower flame temp that works better in longer tubes. A 300 WM with a barrel of less than 26 is not a choice i would make where a 30/06 or the Ackley version are almost as capable with less powder. So what then happens is something like Re23 or 2209 are used to pick up some speed by getting a more complete burn to get the best out of shorter tubes. All good except that 2209 can torch a 300 WM throat in less than 1200 rounds as it does in 7mm SAUMs.

Now my expectation of accuracy is a little different from minute of pig where i look for around a quarter inch at 200 yards before moving on to longer ranges. Once the barrel has outliers, it's binned no matter the round count. So as for when a 300 WM barrel stops doing MOA from a hunting rifle perspective, no idea really but i would expect it to be less than 2500 going off what I've seen. The biggest issue the 300 WM has is the short neck, a contentious issue but with lots of slower higher flame temp powders i feel the issue is real.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 2 Clicks Up » 11 May 2022, 6:02 am

UPDATE: Took it to the Gunsmith yesterday. Put the borescope down the barrel, and the news is pretty good. The rifling is fine, the muzzle is fine, and the throat is fine. There are a couple of spots of rust in the bore. I’ll get into that with a bronze brush and some WD-40 and some oil. Ya just never know; with a bit of effort, it might just turn into a shooter. I won’t lose, as I purchased it assuming I was going to re-barrel it; the worst it could cost me is some range time (never a bad thing) and a packet of ammo.
2 Clicks Up
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bello » 11 May 2022, 6:54 am

Hi Mate
I use my 300 Win Mag for hunting. It is a sake finnlight, has a thin barrel. Only 1 or 2 shots at a time and let it cool.
I use 2213sc and 180gr Hornady interlocks. Lots of fun. Nothing I have shot has complained yet. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg (23.18 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 May 2022, 9:19 am

Great news.
Imagine selling a rifle you thought was shot out ... but it's not.
The shooter obviously had other issues, there's endless possibilities there, all of which are an easy fix, one of which you've already fixed... replace the operator. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 2 Clicks Up » 19 Jun 2022, 5:05 pm

UPDATE: took this “shot out” beast out for a shoot today. Sighted in with that Remington rubbish on the left. A bit of load development before I write this one off I reckon.
Attachments
C7897B3A-BD27-446E-B437-A9A343AB78DF.jpeg
C7897B3A-BD27-446E-B437-A9A343AB78DF.jpeg (395.86 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
2 Clicks Up
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Peterwho » 19 Jun 2022, 11:33 pm

Looks like you might have got a bargain. You see more than a few 300 win mags for sale that haven’t done a great work. Great cartridge but can bite a bit without recoil pad/brake/training.
Peterwho
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bidgee » 20 Jun 2022, 3:42 pm

What are you going to use it for? 300WM is a great cal but you'll go broke buying factory :D /

I use mine for longer range stuff. R700 with Tobler heavy barrel

Bidgee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Jun 2022, 7:56 am

Bidgee wrote:What are you going to use it for? 300WM is a great cal but you'll go broke buying factory :D /

I use mine for longer range stuff. R700 with Tobler heavy barrel

Nice group at 500m. Why do you use standard primers?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 21 Jun 2022, 6:28 pm

Who cares at around 0.3533 MOA it looks like it works to me .
i always use cci 250 primers in Magnum cases but if I had a load like that tested it and it came out consistent no way would I be changing a primer .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bidgee » 22 Jun 2022, 5:13 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Nice group at 500m. Why do you use standard primers?

I'll need to check my notes mate but from memory CCI200s

EDIT: Just saw on the target the primer is CCI200
Bidgee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Jun 2022, 6:40 pm

Bidgee wrote:

Thanks, but why? Did you start with Magnum primers and not get good results?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Boundry Rider » 23 Jun 2022, 7:46 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
Bidgee wrote:

Interested to hear also.
I use Mag CCI primers in my 30-06; 200G Norma with 2213SC.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 23 Jun 2022, 9:42 pm

300 WM has some good dies available for it and has been used in the past as a Military sniper cartridge . 308 cal has a great range of bullets if you can buy them that is .
I had one many years ago but unfortunately it got sold off with my collection to get my first house and I have never got one back . I now just stick with the .30-06 case head size of .473 so I can switch barrels , 243 and 308 . A 30-06 Ackley improved in a 26.5 inch barrel is very close to a 300 WM in the lighter end of bullets in a shorter barrel . If I can't kill it with 180 grained bullet doing 2900 fps then I will probably need a .458 WM anyway .
Magnum primers can help give more uniform ignition in the longer cases using slower powders but they will increase throat erosion .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bidgee » 25 Jun 2022, 10:36 am

SCJ429 wrote:
Bidgee wrote:

No reason other than I had the 200s on hand. I've since tried the magnum primers and didnt note a lot of difference - certainly no better.

I was watching one of Mark and Sam Afterwork vids last night and he uses LR primers in his 300WM. In his opinion it gives a smoother ignition and less erratic recoil.
Bidgee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles