Anyone own a Savage Brush Hunter?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Anyone own a Savage Brush Hunter?

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 08 May 2022, 6:15 pm

Hi All

Anyone out there own a savage Brush hunter in 375 Ruger?
I’m reloading 235 grain SpeerHot Cors over 71grains of ADI 2208 and only getting 2” groups at 100 yards
Can anyone offer their experience?
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Anyone own a Savage Brush Hunter?

Post by bigpete » 08 May 2022, 7:11 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote:Hi All

I’m reloading 235 grain SpeerHot Cors over 71grains of ADI 2208 and only getting 2” groups at 100 yards

Maybe it doesn't like those particular bullets ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 08 May 2022, 7:27 pm

If you have the 20 inch barrel using hunting soft nose bullets that is normal.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 08 May 2022, 7:39 pm

Maybe it doesn't like those particular bullets ?

I might try some 270’s next and see - thanks
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 08 May 2022, 7:41 pm

duncan61 wrote:If you have the 20 inch barrel using hunting soft nose bullets that is normal.

Rubbish
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2022, 8:14 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote:Hi All

Is that better than factory ammo?

Are you single loading or running them through the magazine? Is it possible the soft points are getting beaten up in the mag under recoil?

I think the .375Ruger has a fair bit of recoil, which can make it difficult to shoot good groups, even if the load is capable of it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 08 May 2022, 10:30 pm

Are you single loading or running them through the magazine? Is it possible the soft points are getting beaten up in the mag under recoil?

I think the .375Ruger has a fair bit of recoil, which can make it difficult to shoot good groups, even if the load is capable of it.

I don’t know about factory ammo it’s over $100 a box
Recoil doesn’t affect rounds in mag
Could be a flinch on my part - never been a problem before with my 450 bushmaster but that’s braked
Maybe see how 270 grain projectiles go
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2022, 11:38 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote:

I don’t know about factory ammo it’s over $100 a box
Recoil doesn’t affect rounds in mag
Could be a flinch on my part - never been a problem before with my 450 bushmaster but that’s braked
Maybe see how 270 grain projectiles go

Not necessarily a flinch, but getting the rifle to recoil consistently due to the amount of movement that happens before the bullet leaves the muzzle can take some practice I think. If you can get the rifle to rest consistently on a pair of bags so it recoils the same way with each shot you _might_ get tighter groups. But unless you are actually going to hunt that way you're better off just knowing that it groups 2MoA under field conditions. I'm assuming it's not a long-range rifle so 2MoA is probably all you need?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 May 2022, 7:45 am

2 things.
I had a look online at these. Despite being plastic and stainless,me likey very much !

Secondly,you ARE using a scope I'm guessing? Because if you're NOT,then I'd consider a 2" group at 100m pretty bloody good and a credit to your eyesight. Tbh I'm with bladeracer a bit in that its not exactly a long range gun or cartridge and that 2" is,in reality,going to be more than good enough. But there's nothing wrong with seeking better accuracy !

I'm even half considering one of these myself....only half,as I don't really need a 375 ruger and I don't like plastic and stainless. Then again,its cheap,light,short and has iron sights.....probably make a great fox gun ! :D :D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 May 2022, 2:00 pm

bigpete wrote:2 things.
I had a look online at these. Despite being plastic and stainless,me likey very much !

Secondly,you ARE using a scope I'm guessing? Because if you're NOT,then I'd consider a 2" group at 100m pretty bloody good and a credit to your eyesight. Tbh I'm with bladeracer a bit in that its not exactly a long range gun or cartridge and that 2" is,in reality,going to be more than good enough. But there's nothing wrong with seeking better accuracy !

I'm even half considering one of these myself....only half,as I don't really need a 375 ruger and I don't like plastic and stainless. Then again,its cheap,light,short and has iron sights.....probably make a great fox gun ! :D :D

I hadn't even heard of it until this thread. I checked out some reviews and videos and it appeals to me also, but it would have to have a serious brake on it, which is probably why they made it with the short barrel, a good brake will probably add four-inches to it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 May 2022, 3:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:2 things.

I hadn't even heard of it until this thread. I checked out some reviews and videos and it appeals to me also, but it would have to have a serious brake on it, which is probably why they made it with the short barrel, a good brake will probably add four-inches to it.

f*** no !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 May 2022, 4:50 pm

bigpete wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I hadn't even heard of it until this thread. I checked out some reviews and videos and it appeals to me also, but it would have to have a serious brake on it, which is probably why they made it with the short barrel, a good brake will probably add four-inches to it.

f*** no !

:-)
The rifle would take my arm right off at the shoulder if I fired it without a brake I reckon :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles