Rifle advice

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Rifle advice

Post by S O K A R » 10 May 2022, 4:36 am

So recently I submitted a PTA but due to the lovely appearance laws it didn't get approved, so I have decided to go the more traditional route.
Been tossing up between the following three, anyone have any experiences with the below rifles good or bad?

1) Browning X-bolt

2) Weatherby Vanguard

3) Ruger American

Leaning towards the X-bolt, but not 100% sold
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Rifle advice

Post by womble » 10 May 2022, 9:22 am

Ask LRD which one they think looks best.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2022, 7:56 pm

S O K A R wrote:So recently I submitted a PTA but due to the lovely appearance laws it didn't get approved, so I have decided to go the more traditional route.
Been tossing up between the following three, anyone have any experiences with the below rifles good or bad?

1) Browning X-bolt

2) Weatherby Vanguard

3) Ruger American

I can only comment on one of those, the Ruger American. I have four in .204, .223, .243 and 7mm-08. Plus two Ruger American Rimfires, and the Ruger Precision Rimfire. I like Ruger. The Predator is better unless you are needing the lightest possible rifle for stalking, but I would go Ruger American Ranch Rifle for that with the 16" barrels. The Predator is the same as the Standard rifle but with a little heavier barrel, threaded muzzle and a factory-mounted scope rail. I specifically wanted all my hunting rifles to be the same platform, and the Ruger American was the only rifle I found that offered .204 and 7mm-08 in the same rifle at the time. All of mine are now in MDT LSS chassis as I prefer a pistol grip rifle, and they use the 10rd AICS mags.

You probably need to find somebody that owns or has used all three rifles for long enough to form an opinion. A lot of your own opinion will come down to how you like the look and feel of them, so try to at least handle them if possible. Maybe go to the local range and see what people are shooting and ask their opinions on their rifles, and their scope choices.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 13 May 2022, 2:52 am

bladeracer wrote:
S O K A R wrote:So recently I submitted a PTA but due to the lovely appearance laws it didn't get approved, so I have decided to go the more traditional route.

1) Browning X-bolt

2) Weatherby Vanguard

3) Ruger American

I can only comment on one of those, the Ruger American. I have four in .204, .223, .243 and 7mm-08. Plus two Ruger American Rimfires, and the Ruger Precision Rimfire. I like Ruger. The Predator is better unless you are needing the lightest possible rifle for stalking, but I would go Ruger American Ranch Rifle for that with the 16" barrels. The Predator is the same as the Standard rifle but with a little heavier barrel, threaded muzzle and a factory-mounted scope rail. I specifically wanted all my hunting rifles to be the same platform, and the Ruger American was the only rifle I found that offered .204 and 7mm-08 in the same rifle at the time. All of mine are now in MDT LSS chassis as I prefer a pistol grip rifle, and they use the 10rd AICS mags.

You probably need to find somebody that owns or has used all three rifles for long enough to form an opinion. A lot of your own opinion will come down to how you like the look and feel of them, so try to at least handle them if possible. Maybe go to the local range and see what people are shooting and ask their opinions on their rifles, and their scope choices.

Thanks for the reply, I ended up going with the ruger american compact in .243
Its just going to be a scrub gun, so didn't need anything fancy
Any recommendations on scopes for them?
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Shootermick » 13 May 2022, 7:32 am

S O K A R wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

1) Browning X-bolt

2) Weatherby Vanguard

3) Ruger American

I’ve got that rifle, you’ll love it. I’ve got a Leupold 4-12x40 on mine, I think it suits the rifle well.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2022, 10:04 am

S O K A R wrote:Thanks for the reply, I ended up going with the ruger american compact in .243

I use the Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40 on all of mine, including the .22's.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 May 2022, 11:25 am

S O K A R wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

1) Browning X-bolt

2) Weatherby Vanguard

3) Ruger American

as a scrub gun/general purpose rifle for my uses i favour the 7-08 for all round use . 150 accubonds pigs/reds or 150 BT's for general use when game may be lighter at times. 130 speers for light work are rediculously accurate . i feel 243 is a bit light at times , and have moved 243's on out of my safe . 243 needs a reasonable barrel length to get the best out of it . at least 22" barrel . but hey , horses for coarses . depends what your hunting and where i guess .

as for the rifle brands i've owned vangaurds . well made and reliable . but heavy . my favorite rifle is a T3 7-08 in a B&C stock . extremely accurate and reliable with a POI that never changes , rain , hail or shine . with reasonable recoil and more than enough knockdown for anything i come across . i've heard good things about the ruger american rifles from people i know . a fella i knew had a 243 xbolt with outstanding out of the box accuracy. real target rifle sh!t with 2208 and 87vmax . i think out of your listed choices you can't really go wrong . cheers :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Jun 2022, 7:18 pm

A Browning Xbolt that shoots well? That is a rare beast. My gunsmith refuses to work on them.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles