variety of game with 223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

variety of game with 223

Post by mickb » 06 Jun 2022, 10:41 pm

What have you 223 guys taken with your rifles? Also what is the largest game you have used it on?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: variety of game with 223

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Jun 2022, 11:26 pm

Goats, pigs, wallabies, fallow deer, thar, feral sheep and red deer. Reds are, of course, the largest animal I ever shot with it, and I found the cartridge ineffective needing several follow up shots on most occasions. If it wasn't for the quick fire ability of the Mini-14 I would have dropped it after the 1st hunt, but it took 4 trips to dump 223 in favour of my old 30/30. I wouldn't use it on pigs again either, especially today when we can't use a semi auto. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 07 Jun 2022, 4:37 am

mickb wrote:What have you 223 guys taken with your rifles? Also what is the largest game you have used it on?

Myself, I’ve used 222 on rabbit and head shots on grey grass hoppers. Very effective and efficient. I’ve seen 223 used on foxes, small pigs and goats and it worked . But the killing was delayed with ordinary chest shots on the pigs and goats. They’d have a run before expiring. 243 is the minimum I’d use on this game. 223 is a varmit/culling rifle in my eyes. When I get in the field I take a 7-08 and it’s more than enough for anything I encounter. I used to take a 6.5x55 before I had the 7-08 .I’d only use a 223 on any game larger than a fox or a dog with head shots IMHO :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 07 Jun 2022, 6:52 am

Biggest I've used it on was a big pre rut fallow buck.
Biggest dad has used it on is a couple of red stags.
Mostly use it for foxes and roo culling. Neither of us would ever choose it over other available calibres for anything bigger if they are available
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 07 Jun 2022, 3:22 pm

Foxes, goats, dogs and fallow. But I used my .222 on donkeys (brain shots)
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jun 2022, 4:23 pm

Pigs shot heaps with mini 14. Never lost a pig wounded. Used conventional pills. No way would I try a V max in 223 on pigs
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jun 2022, 4:44 pm

I'm very interested in this thread. Hear all sorts of stories. So far I've only used it on foxes and that's why I bought one. But you hear all sorts of stories:
Dogs
Fallow
Red deer
Pigs, some big
Goats

Projectile style and placement would be main factors I guess.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Jun 2022, 5:11 pm

I'm running 55g Vmax at 3150 ft/second
Mainly on roos and foxes.

The .223 is currently my favourite round.
It's a pleasure to shoot and cheap to reload
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 07 Jun 2022, 8:22 pm

I always wondered how barnes x type bullets go in the calibre regards taking larger game
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 07 Jun 2022, 8:32 pm

Red deer and pigs but mostly with my 222 and well placed shots 223 will do everything you need it to providing you do your job. Get a rifle that can out shoot you and youll never look back.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 07 Jun 2022, 8:37 pm

mickb wrote:I always wondered how barnes x type bullets go in the calibre regards taking larger game

It's still a tiny piddly little bit of copper
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 93x64mm » 07 Jun 2022, 9:33 pm

mickb wrote:What have you 223 guys taken with your rifles? Also what is the largest game you have used it on?

This is a great little calibre for 'roos, only seen head or high neck shots with 55gn Noslers - they do a spectacular job!. They also work well on Rusa, again high neck shots, broke the neck & bled out before my son got to his deer, about 100 yards I guess. Haven't tried it on a feral cat yet, if I get the chance then that's the first bugger regardless to get the pointy end.
As far as pigs go, if you can put it behind their ear then you're good to go, if not, don't even try unless you have a mono type bullet for added penetration but even then bullet placement is king. Bigger is always better in that regard
93x64mm
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Hoppa 101 » 07 Jun 2022, 10:12 pm

I've had instant kills on bulls weighing up to a tonne. It's all about shot placement. Running headshots on pigs out to 150 don't seem a problem. Headshots on fallow anf red deer have always been successful. The standard varmint bullets are all I use although I'd be hesitant to use vmax's on cattle.
Animal Control Contractor
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 08 Jun 2022, 5:52 am

Hoppa 101 wrote:I've had instant kills on bulls weighing up to a tonne. It's all about shot placement. Running headshots on pigs out to 150 don't seem a problem. Headshots on fallow anf red deer have always been successful. The standard varmint bullets are all I use although I'd be hesitant to use vmax's on cattle.

Yep and plenty of pastoralists will never bother with a .223 on scrub bulls. A .243 will barely do the job.

Would love to see someone regularly shoot running pigs at 150m through the head. Reminds me of when some dude told me he shoots running emus at 80m through the head.

For cattle, when shooting at the brain when facing you, where do you aim? It is all about bullet placement
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 08 Jun 2022, 6:54 am

animalpest wrote:
Hoppa 101 wrote:I've had instant kills on bulls weighing up to a tonne. It's all about shot placement. Running headshots on pigs out to 150 don't seem a problem. Headshots on fallow anf red deer have always been successful. The standard varmint bullets are all I use although I'd be hesitant to use vmax's on cattle.

Yep and plenty of pastoralists will never bother with a .223 on scrub bulls. A .243 will barely do the job.

Would love to see someone regularly shoot running pigs at 150m through the head. Reminds me of when some dude told me he shoots running emus at 80m through the head.

For cattle, when shooting at the brain when facing you, where do you aim? It is all about bullet placement

Agree ;) :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jun 2022, 9:30 am

animalpest wrote:

My thoughts too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hoppa 101 » 08 Jun 2022, 10:09 am

bigrich wrote:
animalpest wrote:

Agree ;) :thumbsup:

With cattle I draw an imaginary cross from opposite ears to eyes. If you get it exactly right all four legs will pull up into the body as it falls.
I don't see any big deal with shooting running pigs. They run in a static line with no head bobbing so it's just sweep,gauge and shoot. It's more reflex than anything, just like shotgunning.
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 08 Jun 2022, 2:28 pm

Actually Hoppa that is a very common mistake but is WRONG spot! You will be hitting well below the brain on cattle.

On cattle that are facing you, the correct aiming point is to draw a line from the base of the horns to the eyes.

I had a client who shot a bull at the spot you suggested with no result. He continued to shoot higher until he hit the brain and only then it dropped. I have a picture of it.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Hoppa 101 » 08 Jun 2022, 3:25 pm

animalpest wrote:Actually Hoppa that is a very common mistake but is WRONG spot! You will be hitting well below the brain on cattle.

On cattle that are facing you, the correct aiming point is to draw a line from the base of the horns to the eyes.

I had a client who shot a bull at the spot you suggested with no result. He continued to shoot higher until he hit the brain and only then it dropped. I have a picture of it.

Thanks, yes it does vary from cow to cow and you do adjust your aiming point to where it feels right. I feel for your client he must have found that distressing.
I must ring all those cows up that I killed instantly and apologise for the misinformation :roll:
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 08 Jun 2022, 4:58 pm

You don't "adjust your aiming point to where it feels right". Brains don't move around in the skull.

Its either the right spot for all cows or the wrong spot for all cows.

That aiming point applies to cattle. For most other animals, shooting to the spot between the eyes and ears is correct. But not for cattle.

An 8 year old cow or bull has a thick skull. The skull thickens with age. A .223 will work on young animals but not older ones.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Hoppa 101 » 08 Jun 2022, 6:12 pm

animalpest wrote:You don't "adjust your aiming point to where it feels right". Brains don't move around in the skull.

Its either the right spot for all cows or the wrong spot for all cows.

That aiming point applies to cattle. For most other animals, shooting to the spot between the eyes and ears is correct. But not for cattle.

An 8 year old cow or bull has a thick skull. The skull thickens with age. A .223 will work on young animals but not older ones.

Like Bart Simpson said " Don't have a cow man"
I use what works for me as an aiming strategy given the angle and presentation of the beast. If that works you up then the nurse will be along shortly with a cup of tea and some tablets.
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 08 Jun 2022, 6:41 pm

all the pigs i've shot at were running the other way or weaving through scrub and trees .rarely do they run across in front of me . actually they just about jump up under my feet sometimes . trying to chest shoot them at 80-100 meters when their going flat out is hard enough. a head shot on a running pig at 150 , offhand or using a tree for support is beyond my abilities i'm afraid
head shooting calm stationary animals at distance, yeah , no problem . i take my larger centerfires for such game as their is more room for error . i use my 223 as it was intended . rabbits , foxes , cats and such . as for head shooting scrubbers and such , id use a 150 accubond in my 7-08 as a minimum. i was with a fella i used to know down tenterfeild. the farmer who owned the property had some cattle in poor condition due to the drought at the time . we rang him to inform him a cow was down and wasn't looking like getting up again . got the go ahead to dispatch it . old mate had a 300 win mag with winchester "deer season" bt's . he aimed between the eyes . that poor cow didn't pass right away . AP's info woulda bin handy . these are my personal opinions and experience . not intended as criticism
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Hoppa 101 » 09 Jun 2022, 2:56 pm

bigrich wrote:all the pigs i've shot at were running the other way or weaving through scrub and trees .rarely do they run across in front of me . actually they just about jump up under my feet sometimes . trying to chest shoot them at 80-100 meters when their going flat out is hard enough. a head shot on a running pig at 150 , offhand or using a tree for support is beyond my abilities i'm afraid
head shooting calm stationary animals at distance, yeah , no problem . i take my larger centerfires for such game as their is more room for error . i use my 223 as it was intended . rabbits , foxes , cats and such . as for head shooting scrubbers and such , id use a 150 accubond in my 7-08 as a minimum. i was with a fella i used to know down tenterfeild. the farmer who owned the property had some cattle in poor condition due to the drought at the time . we rang him to inform him a cow was down and wasn't looking like getting up again . got the go ahead to dispatch it . old mate had a 300 win mag with winchester "deer season" bt's . he aimed between the eyes . that poor cow didn't pass right away . AP's info woulda bin handy . these are my personal opinions and experience . not intended as criticism

You sir are both honest and a gentleman. I mostly get to knock over pigs when I'm getting a load of roos. Therefore I'm shooting from a rest. I also pass up shots that aren't ideal. However if they are running somewhere near right angles then usually they present a target and I will take the shot. I k ow what you mean when you are presented with two hams and the flag of the Pork Republic.No chance of a shot through the head and I am loath to do a Texas Heart Shot. The processor wouldn't accept an arse shot pig anyway.
As for cows AP has rattled on long enough for you to get the idea of about where to get the result required :violin:
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 09 Jun 2022, 3:43 pm

:thumbsup: :drinks: AP's alright but hoppa . your post didn't fully explain circumstances :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by mickb » 09 Jun 2022, 5:16 pm

yeah I dont think Animal pest rattled on at all. He made sense about shot placement on cows heads. On that subject have never head shot one myself. The scrubbers I took long ago were with a 375H&H in the boiler.
Last edited by mickb on 09 Jun 2022, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 09 Jun 2022, 9:12 pm

By the above it seems 223 fellas feel comfortable taking all sorts and size game with the calibre. Good to know
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Jun 2022, 9:41 pm

mickb wrote:By the above it seems 223 fellas feel comfortable taking all sorts and size game with the calibre. Good to know

Small / lightly built medium but definitely not big game.
I've been asked to shoot the odd cow and bull typically because of broken legs (fancy owning a cattle / sheep farm and not having a gun :unknown: ), I've never used the .223 for them, the 55g projectiles are too fragile, I use the .243 with 100g heavy jacket GameKings.
I don't shoot pigs with the .223 either regardless of what many shooters claim, I don't like taking follow up shots because I'm not using enough gun, it's not ethical... again I opt for the .243 with the 100g GameKings.

It's worth keeping in mind that the .223 runs out of retained energy really fast and deep penetration through thick hide and heavy muscle is something they can't achieve at any range.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 10 Jun 2022, 4:42 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
mickb wrote:By the above it seems 223 fellas feel comfortable taking all sorts and size game with the calibre. Good to know

Small / lightly built medium but definitely not big game.
I've been asked to shoot the odd cow and bull typically because of broken legs (fancy owning a cattle / sheep farm and not having a gun :unknown: ), I've never used the .223 for them, the 55g projectiles are too fragile, I use the .243 with 100g heavy jacket GameKings.
I don't shoot pigs with the .223 either regardless of what many shooters claim, I don't like taking follow up shots because I'm not using enough gun, it's not ethical... again I opt for the .243 with the 100g GameKings.

It's worth keeping in mind that the .223 runs out of retained energy really fast and deep penetration through thick hide and heavy muscle is something they can't achieve at any range.

I agree. I’ve seen goats hit with generic 55gn chest shots and they run for a bit before expiration. Head shots, yeah, no worries. If you can’t get a head shot, 223 is a fox/rabbit gun imho . As the above post states, 243 is a minimum medium game rifle . I prefer something around the 260rem , 6.5x55 as a starting point :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 10 Jun 2022, 7:20 am

G'day,

on_one_wheel: "I've been asked to shoot the odd cow and bull typically because of broken legs (fancy owning a cattle / sheep farm and not having a gun :unknown: ), I've never used the .223 for them, the 55g projectiles are too fragile, I use the .243 with 100g heavy jacket GameKings."

The local knacker here in Western Victoria has used a rim-fire, probably .22LR, to kill sick cows - at close range - when I have called him to come to my place. Similarly our farm butcher uses either a .22LR or, last time, a .22 magnum - again at close range as the chosen beast is yarded overnight with a 'friend' and some good hay to keep it calm. [These are yearling Angus killers.] I asked the butcher why he used light calibre rimfire rifles. He stated that he wished to avoid shooting through the skull into valuable meat behind. Also as the animals are calm and yarded he could be certain of his own accuracy at about 10-12 feet shooting with iron sights off the yard rail as a rest. The only time our butcher had a problem was after his firearms safe [and contents] was stolen and he was using a borrowed .22LR rifle with a scope: he had to back off a bit so he could get an accurate sight-picture through the low powered scope.

Jim
Last edited by NTSOG on 10 Jun 2022, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 10 Jun 2022, 8:02 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

on_one_wheel: "I've been asked to shoot the odd cow and bull typically because of broken legs (fancy owning a cattle / sheep farm and not having a gun :unknown: ), I've never used the .223 for them, the 55g projectiles are too fragile, I use the .243 with 100g heavy jacket GameKings."

The local knacker here in Western Victoria has used a rime-fire, probably .22LR, to kill sick cows - at close range - when I have called him to come to my place. Similarly our farm butcher uses either a .22LR or, last time, a .22 magnum - again at close range as the chosen beast is yarded overnight with a 'friend' and some good hay to keep it calm. [These are yearling Angus killers.] I asked the butcher why he used light calibre rimfire rifles. He stated that he wished to avoid shooting through the skull into valuable meat behind. Also as the animals are calm and yarded he could be certain of his own accuracy at about 10-12 feet shooting with iron sights off the yard rail as a rest. The only time our butcher had a problem was after his firearms safe [and contents] was stolen and he was using a borrowed .22LR rifle with a scope: he had to back off a bit so he could get an accurate sight-picture through the low powered scope.

Jim

Yep. I've shot a fair few cows in similar situations with a 22. Out in a paddock,roaming around,I'd prefer something bigger though
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles