.303 shooting

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

.303 shooting

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jun 2022, 7:20 pm

I've been hunting for copies of the Military training targets used in military competition shoots since last year. I finally have the last one, the large Figure 11, hand delivered to me by a guy that lives ten minutes away who goes up to NSW to do the LERA shoots at Rankins Springs. Thanks heaps, G :-)
20220602_201802b.jpg
20220602_201802b.jpg (347.95 KiB) Viewed 6580 times

20220608_192819b.jpg
20220608_192819b.jpg (203.43 KiB) Viewed 6580 times

The Figure 11 is 1160mm high by 475mm wide, printed on Corflute, making postage difficult.
I spent hours this week visiting and talking to printers and signwriters trying to get copies made - it seems it's too hard for professionals. So a neighbour scanned it in six A3 sections and built the pdf from that, which was my original plan before I had the bright idea that professionals might be able to save me all that effort :-)

So, I finally have a pdf version of it...and discovered it's a long weekend, so I don't expect to hear anything back from the printer before Tuesday at least. The pdf is not perfect though, my neighbour basically offered to show me how to do it myself and in ten minutes had it up on his screen :-) It'll do for a trial run to see how they print. If they come out nice I'll do it again with A4 scans and concentrate on getting everything perfectly square and ensuring light doesn't get in to keep the colours consistent.

I'm fairly confident we can keep our shots within the middle third of the target at 180m with our SMLE's, so I think it'd be a waste to replace the whole target. I've split the pdf into three, the upper 420mm (width of A2 paper), the lower 420mm, and the middle - also 420mm, so it'll have a 50mm overlap on the top and bottom sections. Then I can just swap out the middle when it gets too shot-up. If we do drop any wild ones into the top and bottom I'll just patch them with black and orange dots as I already do. So, targets are sorted at last.

I prefer 150gn bullets for my own shooting, primarily the Hornady 150gn SP, they're cheap, and were (until recently) very readily available, so I have heaps of them already. I also don't see any need to run my old rifles at full-noise in their retirement, but LERA prefer 174gn bullets at MkVII velocities, which is around 2440fps in the SMLE. I need to do some new load development with the heavier bullets, and higher velocities. I have several types of 174gn bullets already, but not heaps, and I don't see future availability returning soon - precision load development for a bullet I might not be able to replace seems pointless. So, I have 1000 174gn bullets coming from Bruce Bertram, and 500 coming from Scott Driver. Bruce has stock so I should have his next week. Scott has to make them so I don't expect to see his for two or three weeks. But both guys can produce more any time I need them, so future availability should be fairly stable. I haven't seen either of these bullets in the flesh, but both are cheaper than any 174gn bullet I have - though it is very likely these prices will have to rise. I don't consider Lee Enfield rifles to be precision shooters by any measure so I'll just try to make a good load in one of mine, then try them in the other SMLE and my No4Mk1*, and G's SMLE and see if they still shoot well. LERA's primary competition is SMLE only, but other milsurps are welcome. My second SMLE is not "as issued" but they shoot a modified class as well.
https://www.leraa.com/2022-the-303-prize

For load development I've mounted an Arctic Fox scope mount to the rifle. I'm fairly impressed with the fitment, but not entirely convinced it'll stay in place. I'll put a few mags of 150gn loads down range to test it out. It would've been very nice if they'd cut a groove down the middle so you could still use the sights with the mount in place (you can still use the sights when they're set to about 750m or more). And it would be nice if they'd grooved it like a picatinny rail instead of a Weaver to give more options for ring placement to suit a variety of scopes. But I'm hoping it'll be fine for my temporary use. Mounting it is quite fiddly (the 2mm Allen Key is a clue) so it's not something you want to mess with in the field. It relies on a small screw hanging out the bottom of the mount hard up against the front of the receiver ring. Then a pair of similar screws are tightened horizontally at the rear to put pressure against the charger bridge, forcing the front screw to bite into the receiver ring. Keep in mind that a 2mm Allen Key does not give you very much torque on these screws at all before you round out the sockethead grub screws.
20220608_192712b.jpg
20220608_192712b.jpg (253.72 KiB) Viewed 6580 times

I was hoping to get a chance to test the mount and get a rough zero this arvo but didn't manage it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: .303 shooting

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jun 2022, 8:02 pm

Oh, I forgot, LERA also do bayonet shoots and I don't have an M1907 bayonet. So I have a replica coming, and while looking for that I found an M1904 Portugeuse bayonet as well :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 11 Jun 2022, 7:17 am

Excuse my ignorance whats lera
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by mickb » 11 Jun 2022, 7:21 am

I fired some shots at those targets in the day.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Jun 2022, 7:31 am

northdude wrote:Excuse my ignorance whats lera

Lee Enfield Rifle Association
https://lee-enfield.org/
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 11 Jun 2022, 7:45 am

Oh cool Ive got a 3 and a 4 with bayonets and a 5 as well
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2022, 12:12 pm

northdude wrote:Excuse my ignorance whats lera

Lee Enfield Rifle Association.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1721669698132136
https://www.leraa.com/2022-the-303-prize
"Rankin Springs Target Shooting Complex.
All Matches will be at 200yards
Course of Fire:

MATCH 1 Slowfire (Fixed Bayonet) Bayonet will be provided
Position: Standing Unsupported
Shots: 2 Non convertible sighters and 10 to count.
Timing: 45 seconds per shot.
HPS: 50
Target Details: Modified Fig 11 on screen
Scoring:
a. Hit on the inner band 5 points.
b. Hit on the outer band 4 points
c. Remainder of the target 2 points

Procedure:
(1) The firers will be squadded two per target. One will fire whilst the other scores, Firers will then change over.
(2) Non convertible sighting shots will be inspected prior to 10 consecutive rounds
(3) After clearing of rifles Firers will accompany the RO and scorer to the targets for inspection

MATCH 2 Snap Shooting in the Attack
Position: Kneeling unsupported
Shots: 10 to count.
Timing: 10 exposures of 3 seconds with irregular intervals of 5-15 seconds, indicated via whistle
Target Details: Modified fig 12 Target
Scoring:

Procedure:
1. Targets will be attached following the previous practice. Firers will load 10 rounds and make ready at the order of watch and shoot.
2. At the indication of the whistle/siren 3 second intervals will be allowed per shot with one round per indication.
3. On completion of the shoot Firers will accompany the RO and scorer to inspect and clear targets
4. The firing of more than one shot for any exposure will result in penalty points

MATCH 3 Rapid
Position: Prone Unsupported
Timing: One exposure of 60 Seconds
Target Details: Modified Fig 11 on screen
Scoring:

Procedure:
1. The firer is to be in the standing alert position rifle loaded bolt forward on an empty chamber safety catch applied. (Standing alert position both feet flat on the ground butt in the shoulder rifle pointing towards the ground at 45° observing to your front).
2. At the indication (whistle/siren) the firer is to adopt the prone position supported position and engage the target with 10 rounds.
3. On completion the Firer will accompany the scorer to the target to score and patch.

MATCH 4 Slowfire
Position: Prone unsupported.
Timing: max. 45 seconds per shot.
Target Details: 1914 NRA Tin Hat Target
Scoring:
a. Within the Central V bull 5 points.
b. Hit in the Bull inner 5 points
c. Additional as per std targets

Procedure:
1. Two non convertible sighters will be fired and inspected prior to the main event

MATCH 5 Kneeling (Bayonet Fixed)
Position: Kneeling Unsupported
Timing: max. 45 seconds per shot.
HPS: 40
Target Details: Second Class Figure Target
Scoring:
a. Hit on the figure 4 points.
b. Hit in the 24 in circle 3 points
c. Hit in the 36 in circle 2 points
d. Remainder of the target 1 point

Procedure:
1. The firers will be squadded two per target. One will fire whilst the other scores, Firers will then change over.
2. Non convertible sighting shots will be inspected prior to 10 consecutive rounds
3. After clearing of rifles Firers will accompany the RO and scorer to the targets for inspection

MATCH 6 Rapid
Position: Prone Unsupported.
Timing: One exposure of 45 Seconds (whistle designated)
HPS: 40
Target Details: 4ft Convertible Landscape Target
Scoring:
a. Bull 12 in circle 4 points.
b. Inner 24 in circle 3 points
c. Magpie 36 in circle 2 points
d. Outer 48 in circle 1 point

Procedure:
1. The firer is to be in the standing alert position rifle loaded bolt forward on an empty chamber safety catch applied. (Standing alert position both feet flat on the ground butt in the shoulder rifle pointing towards the ground at 45° observing to your front).
2. At the indication (whistle) the firer is to adopt the prone position supported position and engage the target with 10 rounds.
3. On completion the Firer will accompany the scorer to the target to score and patch.

Classification of shooting classes
All rifles will be scrutineered and classified by LERAA. Classifications are in relation to “as issued” specifications. Any target/ modified/ accurised/ rifle will be designated as “All Comer”. Scrutineers decision is final. Contact Secretary@leraa.com if you have concerns or questions.

CLASSIC: SMLE/MLE or any Enfield .303 designed before 1919

OTHER: No4 No5 P14 or any Enfield .303 designed after 1919

ALL COMERS: (Welcome to shoot but are not included in the competition or prize) Any Enfield Service rifle manufactured after 1946 and before 1955
Any bolt action/straight pull Historic Service rifle manufactured before 1946."
Attachments
3032022A5Poster-700x993.jpg
3032022A5Poster-700x993.jpg (108.82 KiB) Viewed 6488 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2022, 12:23 pm

mickb wrote:I fired some shots at those targets in the day.

I bet you even hit them occasionally :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2022, 12:30 pm

northdude wrote:Oh cool Ive got a 3 and a 4 with bayonets and a 5 as well

Kiwi's welcome ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 11 Jun 2022, 12:57 pm

bladeracer wrote:

always, but then its harder to miss with a scope mounted F88 than a 303 :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2022, 1:28 pm

mickb wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

What did the F88's group like if you put a little effort in?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 Jun 2022, 5:01 pm

The LERA blokes are tops - many of the MRCA guys attend their events. They are predominantly an SMLE crowd though- and I’m not sure if windage adjust is allowed.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2022, 5:23 pm

Anybody know the BC of the 174gn MkVII bullet?
I have some MkVII pulls - comparing them with other bullets I'm guessing they'll be around .450?
I don't think Bruce or Scott have published BC for their bullets so I'll have to shoot them to see.

Just been out in the rain and wind to test the scope mount.
20220611_153013d.jpg
20220611_153013d.jpg (271.85 KiB) Viewed 6450 times

I boresighted at 50m and fired a shot - 12mm below and 6mm left of my aim point so no further adjustment made.
Second shot was only 20mm high, pretty impressive so far.
Shot three was 105mm high and 80mm left...hmmm...probably just me?
Shot four was another 70mm high and 20mm left...definitely not me.
Had a look at the mount, seemed tight enough but had a 1mm gap under the rear over the charger bridge.
20220611_163041b.jpg
20220611_163041b.jpg (235.08 KiB) Viewed 6450 times

Thump the scope back into place.
20220611_163055b.jpg
20220611_163055b.jpg (229 KiB) Viewed 6450 times

Shot five is right back where it should be, shot six goes through the previous hole 20mm high, but shot seven goes 90mm high and 30mm left - bugger.
I finished the mag by thumping the scope back down after every shot and all three dropped right where they should be.
Gave me a 50m group of 5rds in exactly one-inch, very nice, but hardly practical.

These were only 150gn bullets on 15gn of Trailboss. I don't recall the velocity but I think about 1500fps, making just 2.6ft-lb of recoil. I finished off with three hotter loads of 174gn Super bullets on 36gn of AR2206H making just under 2200fps, and 9.13ft-lb of recoil (and requiring hearing protection). Thumping the scope after each shot they dropped into 1.48", again not terrible, but 85mm low and 110mm left of point of aim.

I just checked the mount screws. the left screw was just very slightly loose, less than a twentieth of a turn on the allen key, the right screw wouldn't tighten any more, and both are already stripping the sockets. The mount may work, but the hardware is certainly not up to the job. I've ordered some stainless screws. I have found titanium screws but at $15 apiece I'll try the SS first :-)

I may have to use a file to under-cut the face of the receiver bridge as well, but I'll try harder screws first.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2022, 5:37 pm

in2anity wrote:The LERA blokes are tops - many of the MRCA guys attend their events. They are predominantly an SMLE crowd though- and I’m not sure if windage adjust is allowed.

The few I've chatted with so far have been pretty awesome :-)
As far as I can tell they only shoot to 300m max so you wouldn't need to adjust the sights for wind.

I have no interest in shooting competition, or trying to post higher scores than somebody else. But attending would cut G's fuel bill in half, not to mention the driving - it's nine-hours each way, and it looks like a fun weekend :-)

My goal right now is to build a load using a bullet we can readily get, and sort all the different targets and distances so we can practice here at my place.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 11 Jun 2022, 6:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickb wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

What did the F88's group like if you put a little effort in?

Honestly cant remember mate, range shoots were part of work and I turned up and got it over with. Was into big game rifles back then too, wasnt interested in how some 223 shot. Coming from a shooting background as a kid I never liked army range shoots as they were managing a lot of people of different skill levels to a fairly rigid format, and just pumping them through. Its the best way to train a large group of course.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by in2anity » 12 Jun 2022, 11:40 am

bladeracer wrote:I have no interest in shooting competition, or trying to post higher scores than somebody else. But attending would cut G's fuel bill in half, not to mention the driving - it's nine-hours each way, and it looks like a fun weekend :-)

Yeah it's pretty casual I've heard - they are more into the collecting than the shooting. Mostly good fun and company!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jun 2022, 11:31 pm

Received 1000 174gn bullets from Bruce Bertram today.
20220617_154814b.jpg
20220617_154814b.jpg (243.29 KiB) Viewed 6308 times

I grabbed a bag and started weighing and measuring bullets. Overall, they don't look too bad.
20220617_162120b.jpg
20220617_162120b.jpg (136.17 KiB) Viewed 6308 times

A couple of nasty lookers in the bag, but the count is 101, so 99 decent bullets, and the two bad ones will likely dress up with a few strokes of a file.
20220617_162059b.jpg
20220617_162059b.jpg (96.89 KiB) Viewed 6308 times

Bertram 174gn weights.jpg
Bertram 174gn weights.jpg (12.1 KiB) Viewed 6308 times

Although the extreme spread is 1.2gn, or 0.7% variation, the curve is good. 48% are within .3gn, 66% within .5gn. These are soft-point hunting bullets, not match-grade competition bullets.

Bullet length averages 1.098". Again, being exposed soft lead points, there is some variation in length - .063" from 1.074" to 1.137" - 75% of them are from 1.088" to 1.108", or 0.5mm. The three longest are extreme anomalies. Excluding those three drops the ES to .042", not too bad for SP's more than an inch long.

I also measured bullet lengths at two points on the ogive, at .300" and .216" diameters, just to see how precisely they've been swaged. At the .300" point the ES in length is .014", which I would consider quite a lot of variation. If you happened to draw a couple of short bullets when measuring the lands, and only seated 10-thou short, you would then get a few loaded rounds jamming into the lands. 76% vary by just .003" though, and 90% vary by .008". For serious competition use it wood be worthwhile batching them to ogive length, as with any bullet.

At the .22-caliber point on the ogive the ES is .011", with the lowest being an anomaly by two-thousandths. 75% of them are within .002" and 87% are within .004" length variation. I think .009" variation this close to the point is not bad. I didn't bother measuring 101 meplats, but the meplat is roughly .130" diameter, it's quite a flat point.

Accuracy comes from the uniformity of the base, and these are beautiful in that regard.
20220617_230912b.jpg
20220617_230912b.jpg (77.05 KiB) Viewed 6308 times

20220617_230903b.jpg
20220617_230903b.jpg (120.42 KiB) Viewed 6308 times

I'm pretty happy with them so far, but the proof will be in the shooting, which I'm hoping I can make a start on over the weekend, with some luck.

Price was $50/100 if anybody is chasing .303 bullets.
Contact Bruce directly - b.bertram1@bigpond.com
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 18 Jun 2022, 2:21 am

Impressive haul. Will you test these on game as well mate?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2022, 10:10 am

mickb wrote:Impressive haul. Will you test these on game as well mate?

It'd be nice but I think very unlikely. If there were pigs around here it might be feasible, but I'm not aware of any. I don't see these having the accuracy to head-shoot deer, even with an optic.
The bullet is heavier than I think is needed, except on big sambar perhaps, and I wouldn't much enjoy lugging a Lee Enfield rifle around in the bush :-)

I have a sporterised Turk Mauser (8x57mm) that is quite viable for bush work, so if I found a nicely sporterised No4 Rifle I'd be inclined to try these, but I think the Hornady 150gn is likely to be more accurate. It might be possible to take a Lee out and put some bullets through a dead one, if I managed to drag a complete animal up the hill.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 18 Jun 2022, 10:15 am

Me too mate. Mind you I have been out for 15 years now so quite some time ago.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2022, 4:09 pm

I also took some weights and measurements on some old FMJ bullets I have.
20220618_144637b.jpg
20220618_144637b.jpg (93.5 KiB) Viewed 6263 times

20220618_144646b.jpg
20220618_144646b.jpg (93.68 KiB) Viewed 6263 times

Ten cupro-nickel bullets vary in weight from 172.4gn to 173.4gn with no anomalies (two at 172.4gn, and one each at 173.2gn, 173.3gn and 173.4gn), in length from 1.267" to 1.289" (the shortest is anomalous being .007" shorter than the next shortest), and the .300" ogive varies by .018" in length. The shortest ogive is anomalous by .004" and the longest by .008", so eight of the ten sampled only vary by .006". They measure .3105" in diameter. As a sample of 100 (rather than ten) would expect to increase the variation significantly, I'd say Bertram's are pretty close to being as good as mil-spec. These cupro-nickel bullets seated to the cannelure give a 3.220" CoAL - well over-length, so I'm guessing these are early MkVII that were crimped inside the case neck rather than at the case mouth.

Two more are similar but not identical, measuring .3100" diameter, 173.0gn and 173.7gn, 1.280" and 1.284" long, but the ogive is .155" higher up the bullet. These two bullets would give a 3.045" CoAL, making then standard MkVII as far as I can determine.
20220618_153636b.jpg
20220618_153636b.jpg (133.95 KiB) Viewed 6263 times

I also have a copper-jacketed bullet that appears to be early MkVII, 173.9gn, .3110" and 1.289" long.

And I have a 203.2 gn, 1.394" bullet that I'm guessing is a 7.7x58mm Arisaka bullet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jun 2022, 2:45 pm

Measured fire-formed brass from the three rifles, there are some minor differences in the fire-formed dimensions (the loads were originally fire-formed in the No4).

The headspace datum (.375" diameter on the shoulder) is 1.843" on the standard No1, 1.842" on the modified No1, and 1.841" on the No4 Rifle - SAAMI spec is 1.8326" (-.0150").
The shoulder diameter is specified at .4010", I used a .400" collet, which just fitted over all the cases so they are all under the .401" by at least .001".
Base of the neck is within .001" on all three.
The lower body datum .200" up from the base is .454" on two and .453" on the modified No1 - spec is .4554" (-.008").

No4 brass fits all three.
The standard No1 brass fits all three.
Competition No1 brass fits all three, but there is just the _slightest_ stiction as the bolt closes with the standard No3 brass.

Pretty happy that there is little significant difference between the chambers. The only thing I see there that would explain the No1's making 180fps less velocity than the No4 is the No1's shoulders being pushed one- and two-thou forward reducing the pressures. I also noticed that the No1 Rifles barrel lengths are identical, the No4 is .060" shorter.

I also measured the throats using the Bertram 174gn bullet.
No.4Mk1* is 3.150".
No.1Mk3* standard is 3.063" - I'm guessing this one has seen very little use - I bought it off a deer hunter.
No.1Mk3* modified is 3.313" - I'm guessing this one has probably seen decades of competition shooting. Perhaps it even had the throat reamed longer to use VLD bullets?
The huge difference between the two No1's made me check it half a dozen times to ensure there wasn't a glitch somewhere.
Loading these to 3.050" CoAL puts the ogive just .013" from the lands in the standard No1 Rifle.

Now I need to sort my brass which is FC, S&B and PPU.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2022, 4:38 pm

G brought his rifle around on Sunday and we discovered my fire-formed brass doesn't chamber in his rifle at all, they would need the shoulder bumping a fair bit. I forgot to hang onto some for measuring though.

I put together ten rounds for testing on 38gn of AR2206H, seated to 3.030", and I seated another round at 2.980" just to see if it made any difference - it made no difference (2259fps).
20220620_151050b.jpg
New PPU, Bertram 174gn, 38gn AR2206H, 3.030"
20220620_151050b.jpg (226.9 KiB) Viewed 6204 times

Very cold, windy and overcast here, but dry at least. Fired eleven rounds over the chronograph and got an average of 2282fps, much better. I think it's close enough for now, If I'm not happy with the accuracy I can push it a bit harder still. No pressure indications and the new PPU brass stretched .007" after firing, and another .001" after neck-sizing.
20220621_154444b.jpg
New PPU and after fire-forming
20220621_154444b.jpg (182.07 KiB) Viewed 6204 times

As for the Arctic Fox mount, I tightened the screws as far as possible after the first firing, to the point that both 2mm sockethead screws were already stripping. My first shot was where my last shots were, 115mm left and 55mm low, nice. I forgot about having to punch the scope down and my second shot was 450mm high. I thumped the scope into place and shot number three was still 300mm high. I went back and got the 2mm allen key to tighten the screws. No chance, the allen key was just going in circles. Luckily the sockets still had enough bite in reverse to be able to undo them and take the thing off. For $120 I can't recommend it at all. I'm hoping some harder screws _might_ allow me to tighten it more, but I still can't believe it'll stay on the rifle once I start shooting, just a crap design, made worse by using rubbish hardware. It should have actual clamping blocks at each end and much larger screws that you can actually put some torque into. They do suggest undercutting the charger bridge with a file to give it some bite, but that defeats the entire point of buying a mount that avoids having to alter the rifle - I might as well just drill and tap a pair of holes in the charger bridge and do it properly. I did manage to find a scout mount in my box of bits, but as it means removing the rear sight whenever I want to do load development I'm not sure I'll bother with it.

I went up and made a larger aiming point that I could actually see at 50m.
The front sight was totally invisible to my right eye, but I bore-sighted it using the sight protector ears and it looked close enough. The sight ears worked well, keeping all eight shots on point of aim and within a 45mm horizontal spread, but the vertical was 90mm tall, plus one shot 110mm above point of aim. Not too bad at all. If I assume the vertical is simply because I don't have a front sight blade I can probably work okay with this until I come up with a fix for my eye. I'll try these in the competition rifle with the Parker Hale aperture, and then I'll have to see how I get on at 200m and 300m with the OEM sight.
20220621_151221b.jpg
20220621_151221b.jpg (39.22 KiB) Viewed 6204 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jun 2022, 8:18 pm

Test fired five rounds today in yesterday's fire-formed brass to see if it loses much velocity from the new brass.
Nope, 3fps difference between new and fire-formed. So I'll make a couple hundred rounds for practicing and see how I like them. Surprisingly, they stretched another .004" after firing and another .002" after neck-sizing. I don't think I'm going to get many firings out of these at full-noise :-)
I also found a couple of the bullets on the ground.
20220622_154146b.jpg
20220622_154146b.jpg (106.37 KiB) Viewed 6179 times

Received the stainless screws today and re-mounted the scope. With the OEM screws the allen key was stripping out the sockets with virtually no torque at all, with these screws I was able to actually bend the allen key. The mount is nice and tight now so I'll try it again tomorrow if I get a chance and see if it stays in place. I was surprised to see that the front screw leaves a very obvious mark at the receiver ring.
20220622_164846b.jpg
20220622_164846b.jpg (216.58 KiB) Viewed 6179 times

And received a very nice replica bayonet for the old girl, as well as an original M1904 Portuguese bayonet.
20220622_185832b.jpg
20220622_185832b.jpg (161.95 KiB) Viewed 6179 times

20220622_185620b.jpg
20220622_185620b.jpg (154.88 KiB) Viewed 6179 times

20220622_185645b.jpg
20220622_185645b.jpg (209.54 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 22 Jun 2022, 9:14 pm

So you’re finding verticality in the Arctic Fox are you Blade? Considering the pivot is at the back, and group is climbing, how is this explained do you imagine?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jun 2022, 9:29 pm

in2anity wrote:So you’re finding verticality in the Arctic Fox are you Blade? Considering the pivot is at the back, and group is climbing, how is this explained do you imagine?

Not quite, I'm finding the scope coming loose with each shot :-)
It's lifting at the rear, the front tends to stay in place.
The bullets then go high, as you'd expect.

I thought these were generally highly regarded but I'm not seeing it. Even if the new screws fix it, it's still not suitable for most shooters that simply want to mount a scope on their rifle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 22 Jun 2022, 9:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:So you’re finding verticality in the Arctic Fox are you Blade? Considering the pivot is at the back, and group is climbing, how is this explained do you imagine?

I thought these were generally highly regarded but I'm not seeing it. Even if the new screws fix it, it's still not suitable for most shooters that simply want to mount a scope on their rifle.

The scope’s coming loose at the back? Isn’t it picatiny?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jun 2022, 10:26 pm

in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

The scope’s coming loose at the back? Isn’t it picatiny?

No, it's a Weaver, but the mount is coming loose, the scope is firmly attached to the rail.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jun 2022, 7:58 pm

It occurred to me to price these up to compare with the factory ammo.
The Bertram 174gn bullets were $535 with post for 1000, or 53.5c apiece.
PPU brass was $249 for 500 pieces (July 2020) - free postage as it was part of a larger order.
I'm assuming I can get ten loads out of them at this pressure - I'm using ten pieces for testing to try to suss out the case life.
Remington 9-1/2 primers I paid $80/1000 for.
And AR2206H I paid $375/4kg for.
Current prices on powders and primers are too volatile to try to work out current rates.

So, for a single shot, then toss the brass, they're costing $1.35 apiece.
If I can get ten loads out of them then they're costing me 90c apiece.
If they'd let me use cast bullets they be costing me about 37c apiece :-)

The factory PPU 174gn is currently $37/20, or $1.85 apiece.

I received the Eyepal thingie today.
It's a sticker that attaches to glasses via static charge and it simply has an aperture through it. Testing it in the house it seems to make things smaller but I can read text better through it. We spent too long cutting wood today and didn't get home before dark. Hopefully I can try it out tomorrow.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Border_Bloke » 28 Jun 2022, 3:05 pm

Last time I owned a .303 you could still get Aussie surplus MKVII ball ammo at about $4 for a 32 round box...
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles