Whats your collection look like

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Whats your collection look like

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Jun 2022, 9:09 pm

Fionn wrote:How about people list how how many firearms their partner thinks they have compared to what they actually have :lol:

My wife thinks (not that she really cares) I have 3 or 4, when in fact I have 18, they all look the same to her :lol:

My wife owns 14 herself, we share safes.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 14 Jun 2022, 9:35 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:
Fionn wrote:How about people list how how many firearms their partner thinks they have compared to what they actually have :lol:

My wife thinks (not that she really cares) I have 3 or 4, when in fact I have 18, they all look the same to her :lol:

Considering your collection, what 14 sparked her interest?
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 14 Jun 2022, 9:41 pm

military rifle collectors really are a force of nature. Those safes with rack after rack of wood stocked old battle rifles. I have no interest in owning a bunch myself but I like seeing others preserve and use them.
Last edited by mickb on 14 Jun 2022, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Peterwho » 14 Jun 2022, 9:48 pm

I think this question is very dangerous and not to be entertained on the basis that anything said, written or recorded could be taken down as evidence and held against us when acquiring more :allegedly:
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Jun 2022, 10:18 pm

Fionn wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:

Considering your collection, what 14 sparked her interest?

She started young, using her mums air rifle to shoot the weather vane in the backyard in Braybrook mid-60's, still have that one, then her Fathers Krico 22 he bought from Kmart to take her brother and her rabbiting, she still has that, then her brothers Rem 788 that he gave her when his wife (now ex) didn't want guns in the house because of kids. When we met I was still hunting and shooting muzzle loaders which she wasn't into, but military history intrigued her and I wanted to shoot my collectibles more so we both joined the SSAA Military Rifle Club. From there she bought a M24 Yugo Mauser because her Father carried one in the war, an 8mm Berthier Carbine because it was cute (I kid you not!) but eventually settled on a Swedish M38 for comps, a Parker Hale TX1200 for sniper events, a Nagant PU sniper also. Over time she added a Martini Carbine 303, some handguns for comp, a few 16g shotguns and a Lithgow No2 MkIV Trainer for our monthly Training Rifle 22RF comp but now uses a Cooey 75 with great success, even beating me and my No8.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 14 Jun 2022, 10:45 pm

Seems a match made in heaven, she has good taste and a Berthier Carbine is cute :lol:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 19 Jun 2022, 12:22 am

I wonder how hard it would be for a ne'er do well to link a list of firearms to a licence and a name....
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 19 Jun 2022, 1:05 am

Where would he get the name and licence number? having that sort of personal info already he doesnt need whats on some forum, it means he has been in someones wallet.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by solarpak » 19 Jun 2022, 3:09 pm

Lots of safe queens out there .......i came to the realisation that its pointless holding onto any longarms that wont hold or increase their value....and these days will spend wisely.
Lots of friends assume i have safes full of firearms - but my current collection is single figures and where i want to be - and have a firearm for feather, clay and fur from the humble rabbit up to sambar and buffalo if needed.....

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 19 Jun 2022, 6:37 pm

solarpak wrote:Lots of safe queens out there .......i came to the realisation that its pointless holding onto any longarms that wont hold or increase their value....and these days will spend wisely.
Lots of friends assume i have safes full of firearms - but my current collection is single figures and where i want to be - and have a firearm for feather, clay and fur from the humble rabbit up to sambar and buffalo if needed.....

C.

same . i have a couple that are collectable , but still practicle hunting rifles :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Larry » 19 Jun 2022, 6:40 pm

mickb wrote:Where would he get the name and licence number? having that sort of personal info already he doesnt need whats on some forum, it means he has been in someones wallet.

There is enough information provided by some members to identify them with very little additional homework. It is something to have in the back of your mind when you make a post.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Shootermick » 19 Jun 2022, 6:53 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:I wonder how hard it would be for a ne'er do well to link a list of firearms to a licence and a name....

Apparently these types of people have been targeting the used gun ads.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 19 Jun 2022, 7:00 pm

Larry wrote:
mickb wrote:Where would he get the name and licence number? having that sort of personal info already he doesnt need whats on some forum, it means he has been in someones wallet.

There is enough information provided by some members to identify them with very little additional homework. It is something to have in the back of your mind when you make a post.

Again, whats that got to do with a licence number? If he is going to hit a house full of firearms he isnt going to be filling out a PTA
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jun 2022, 7:06 pm

Larry wrote:

These people find it easier to park up the street from a shooting club or gunshop and just follow people home, no need to mess about trying to get paperwork information. Thirty years ago this happened at my pistol club.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 19 Jun 2022, 7:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Larry wrote:

These people find it easier to park up the street from a shooting club or gunshop and just follow people home, no need to mess about trying to get paperwork information. Thirty years ago this happened at my pistol club.

Or just sit outside a lgs. Its not that hard if your that way inclined...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jun 2022, 8:03 pm

northdude wrote:Or just sit outside a lgs. Its not that hard if your that way inclined...

I've done a few laps of roundabouts on the way home if I think somebody might be following me :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Jun 2022, 8:52 pm

These people find it easier to park up the street from a shooting club or gunshop and just follow people home, no need to mess about trying to get paperwork information. Thirty years ago this happened at my pistol club.[/quote]
Or just sit outside a lgs. Its not that hard if your that way inclined...[/quote]

Both of these methods are still in use, as well as following cars with shooting related stickers on their windows like "I shoot.I vote", SSAA, various firearm makers names etc. Add to that corrupt staff in Registries, poor handling of electronic data, too much data provided to media in some States (not Victoria at least) who publish gun density locations by suburb. I know of one instance of a delivery driver delivering online sales of gun safes being a 1% club member. There are a lot of ways we can be picked out.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 19 Jun 2022, 10:35 pm

My apologies, the people I was alluding to may be those who have access to firearms registries and also have an interest in what you might post on public forums. Is that clear enough?
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 19 Jun 2022, 10:54 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:My apologies, the people I was alluding to may be those who have access to firearms registries and also have an interest in what you might post on public forums. Is that clear enough?

Not really mate. If a ne'er do well in your terms has access to firearms registeries :shock: he isnt going to need info on forums to do harm .
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Diamond Jim » 19 Jun 2022, 11:02 pm

mickb wrote:
Diamond Jim wrote:My apologies, the people I was alluding to may be those who have access to firearms registries and also have an interest in what you might post on public forums. Is that clear enough?

Not really mate. If a ne'er do well in your terms has access to firearms registeries :shock: he isnt going to need info on forums to do harm .

Then why does everyone use an alias online? If it is to protect our privacy, why throw away that protection?
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 19 Jun 2022, 11:15 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:
mickb wrote:

Then why does everyone use an alias online? If it is to protect our privacy, why throw away that protection?

No argument about people employing privacy for various reasons but I think you are getting your wires crossed about firearms registeries, licence numbers etc.

I mean, read what you just wrote. A bad guy has access to registries, he doesnt need forum material. He already has the name, address and list of their firearms :wtf:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Jun 2022, 4:04 am

If by this you mean that the "ne'er do wells" of which you speak also wear blue uniforms, rather than being thieves, then I can only say I have no issues with them being able to identify me. I do not break the Law regarding firearms, whether I agree with all of them (I don't) or not doesn't matter. The Law stands, and we must abide. If you are suggesting that people say things here regarding illegal activities then more fool them for doing so as the Police in all States are known to monitor these sites and every poster should be aware of this as well as know there is NO anonymity online from Law Enforcement who can demand the sites owner turn over all info on a member, not to mention other items in their arsenal of online ID tools.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 20 Jun 2022, 10:18 am

bladeracer wrote:
northdude wrote:Or just sit outside a lgs. Its not that hard if your that way inclined...

I've done a few laps of roundabouts on the way home if I think somebody might be following me :-)

I’d been followed home from car show’s when I had my old school hot rod stuff. I’d pull into a servo so they’d be on camera. If they were persistent I’d look straight at them and pretend to make a phone call. The two times this happened the shifty clowns took of quickly. Confirming my suspicions. Too many oxygen thieves in this world
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 20 Jun 2022, 12:22 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:

If by this you mean that the "ne'er do wells" of which you speak also wear blue uniforms, rather than being thieves, then I can only say I have no issues with them being able to identify me. I do not break the Law regarding firearms, whether I agree with all of them (I don't) or not doesn't matter. The Law stands, and we must abide. If you are suggesting that people say things here regarding illegal activities then more fool them for doing so as the Police in all States are known to monitor these sites and every poster should be aware of this as well as know there is NO anonymity online from Law Enforcement who can demand the sites owner turn over all info on a member, not to mention other items in their arsenal of online ID tools.

That is exactly my point. Sites such as this are monitored. Innocent comments can be twisted and misconstrued by persons with an agenda. You don't publish your home address, your bank account details or photos of your family so why would you advertise to the world details that allow you to be identified? Pre-schoolers learn not to give out such information online - it's a basic online security measure.

No more from me on this topic. People are free to publish whatever they are comfortable putting out there on any forum they choose.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Jun 2022, 12:45 pm

Diamond Jim,
I see you are no longer interested in debate but I feel I must answer your points for others who may read them, because in this context the details can only ID you if the person has access to the Registry, not "the world". Anyone who can access the registry already has the ability to ID you if they need or want to merely by you logging on to the site, whether you ever post a coment or not. I say again, there is NO anonymity on the internet, at all, from Law Enforcement, not even from VPN,s as many busts of hackers and online drug dealers even in that Dark Web thing. Be responsible, yes, but without trying to sound like a conspiritard, "We are not alone".
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2022, 1:24 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:That is exactly my point. Sites such as this are monitored. Innocent comments can be twisted and misconstrued by persons with an agenda. You don't publish your home address, your bank account details or photos of your family so why would you advertise to the world details that allow you to be identified? Pre-schoolers learn not to give out such information online - it's a basic online security measure.

No more from me on this topic. People are free to publish whatever they are comfortable putting out there on any forum they choose.

You're here on a forum online yourself, if somebody wanted to identify you they can, just depends on how much effort they want to put into it, or what sources they might have access to.

Anybody that wants to identify me will have a very, very easy time of it, I'm not hiding from anybody.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldgunfan » 20 Jun 2022, 1:45 pm

Ruger charger 22lr
SW1911 9mm
SW1911 45acp
Uberti cattleman 5” 45colt/acp both cylinders
Ruger American rimfire 22LR
FN commercial k98 30-06
Remington 7 300blk otw from qld atm
Oldgunfan
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 20 Jun 2022, 3:40 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Diamond Jim wrote:That is exactly my point. Sites such as this are monitored. Innocent comments can be twisted and misconstrued by persons with an agenda. You don't publish your home address, your bank account details or photos of your family so why would you advertise to the world details that allow you to be identified? Pre-schoolers learn not to give out such information online - it's a basic online security measure.

You're here on a forum online yourself, if somebody wanted to identify you they can, just depends on how much effort they want to put into it, or what sources they might have access to.

Anybody that wants to identify me will have a very, very easy time of it, I'm not hiding from anybody.

yeah, i dunno blade . your pic on your forum profile doesn't show your face ..... :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2022, 5:30 pm

bigrich wrote:yeah, i dunno blade . your pic on your forum profile doesn't show your face ..... :D

That's just because I'm shy :-)

My face doesn't identify me to anybody that doesn't already know me.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 20 Jun 2022, 7:25 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:
wall (2).JPG
Just what I don't have to keep in a safe.

I am in awe
:o
:friends:

Myself? I have more than I need and less than I want.
Sold 3 this year and acquired about 8ish including 1 build (registered of course).
Last is a 1976 Marlin 44 mag yesterday so one of the good ones stamped JM and pre crossbolt. :clap:
Month before was a Verney Carron Bolt action in 9.3x62
Oldest is a very usable 14gauge built in about 1830 and the newest is the flintlock I built last year (The latest build was a 40 year old kit).
Smallest a 1902 in 22 short/long. Biggest a 62 cal matchlock.
Most powerful a 500 Jeffery
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles