Winchester 1892 .45 ACP

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Winchester 1892 .45 ACP

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2022, 1:10 pm

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Winchester 1892 .45 ACP

Post by mickb » 18 Jun 2022, 2:26 pm

Interesting vid mate, would love to have those skills. Rossi actually made some in 45 acp themselves in a very limited run for different government groups. Memory is hazy but I think I saw an article where some even made it to Australia. This is decades ago.

There is a fella in the US who converts 1873 lever actions to 45 acp for the cowboy shooting crowd. I had a look at getting one but was about 4k once shipped.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2022, 2:36 pm

mickb wrote:Interesting vid mate, would love to have those skills. Rossi actually made some in 45 acp themselves in a very limited run for different government groups. Memory is hazy but I think I saw an article where some even made it to Australia. This is decades ago.

There is a fella in the US who converts 1873 lever actions to 45 acp for the cowboy shooting crowd. I had a look at getting one but was about 4k once shipped.

I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to convert a .45 Colt rifle to ACP, but I don't know that there'd be much point to it. Maybe ACP ammo was easier to get at the time this was done.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Jun 2022, 4:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickb wrote:Interesting vid mate, would love to have those skills. Rossi actually made some in 45 acp themselves in a very limited run for different government groups. Memory is hazy but I think I saw an article where some even made it to Australia. This is decades ago.

I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to convert a .45 Colt rifle to ACP, but I don't know that there'd be much point to it. Maybe ACP ammo was easier to get at the time this was done.

G'day bladeracer,
The original Argentine Police Winchesters were in 44/40 and 38/40, after WW2 both of these calibers were in short supply and Argentina ran low on ammo for them. In 1949 experiments were made to see if another caliber could be used, and as the Police were using pistols and sub-machine guns in 45ACP, it was decided to change to that. The actual conversions were done in 1957 at OTME Cordoba (Argentina) and the rifle remained in service until at least the 1980's. I'm not sure if they are still being used in rural Police stations. They are extrememly desirable on the Collectors market and can pull very high prices.
PS: Love Mark Novak videos!!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2022, 4:45 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bladeracer,
The original Argentine Police Winchesters were in 44/40 and 38/40, after WW2 both of these calibers were in short supply and Argentina ran low on ammo for them. In 1949 experiments were made to see if another caliber could be used, and as the Police were using pistols and sub-machine guns in 45ACP, it was decided to change to that. The actual conversions were done in 1957 at OTME Cordoba (Argentina) and the rifle remained in service until at least the 1980's. I'm not sure if they are still being used in rural Police stations. They are extremely desirable on the Collectors market and can pull very high prices.
PS: Love Mark Novak videos!!

That makes sense, converting them to fit logistically with their other systems.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 18 Jun 2022, 6:56 pm

no1Mk3 they are the ones I probably meant, got my wires crossed with Rossi being the manufacturer. It would have been originals then.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles