Howa's

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa's

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Jul 2022, 8:17 pm

Can anyone tell me for sure whether or not all Howa's (Mod 1500 S/A) are drilled and tapped for rings/bases at the factory ?

Or, are there some that are not.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Howa's

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2022, 8:30 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Can anyone tell me for sure whether or not all Howa's (Mod 1500 S/A) are drilled and tapped for rings/bases at the factory ?

Or, are there some that are not.

There are none in the current catalogue fitted with sights so I would expect they're all drilled and tapped.
I couldn't find anything confirming the barrelled actions are, but I did find a review of a build and the barrelled action he bought came pre-drilled and tapped (he was hoping he might be able to use an existing Rem700 mount but it had a different bolt pattern).
I don't know if Howa offered any rifles in the past with sights, it's possible they might not drill and tap those, but I'd be surprised as it would be a basic step during manufacture, it'd be odd to leave it out. It's possible if you're looking at an older one perhaps it wasn't done.

Have you found one that is not drilled and tapped?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Jul 2022, 9:24 pm

The Howa Golden Bear, based on the Sako Finn Bear, was not drilled and tapped but did have a dovetail as well as sights. The M1500, based on the Weatherby Mk V was drilled and tapped at the factory, same as the German made Mk V's, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Jul 2022, 8:37 pm

Thanks fellas, much appreciated.

Be aware,, if your in the market for a pic rail.

I purchased one, and the package labelling says, "Leupold BackCountry Cross Slot 1 pce base."
"Remington 700 Short Action" (equivalent to Howas)

I bought it for one of my Howas,,,, Namely a Howa 1500 Short action VT in .308

And guess what,,,,,,,, it doesn't fit.
The overall length between the hole centers is nearly 6 mm too short.

Apparently the Weatherby rail is the one that fits, and the gun shop that I bought it from is going to swap it for me..
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 03 Jul 2022, 10:45 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Thanks fellas, much appreciated.

Be aware,, if your in the market for a pic rail.

I purchased one, and the package labelling says, "Leupold BackCountry Cross Slot 1 pce base."
"Remington 700 Short Action" (equivalent to Howas)

I bought it for one of my Howas,,,, Namely a Howa 1500 Short action VT in .308

And guess what,,,,,,,, it doesn't fit.
The overall length between the hole centers is nearly 6 mm too short.

Apparently the Weatherby rail is the one that fits, and the gun shop that I bought it from is going to swap it for me..

Now I know what your question meant they run the same screw hole spacings Leupold 2 piece bases will fit problem is the rear bridge is about 0.025" so when ajusting some scopes you just about run out of elevation so best to get Weatherby Vanguard bases or rail as scope alignment will be far superior
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jul 2022, 4:10 pm

I just use the 19 dollar Leopold bases design for Remington. Never had prob running out of scope adjustment range but I’ll be mindful of it in future in case I run into an issue .i have plenty of thin malleable copper and alum shims if need be
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jul 2022, 9:34 pm

Blr243 wrote:I just use the 19 dollar Leopold bases design for Remington. Never had prob running out of scope adjustment range but I’ll be mindful of it in future in case I run into an issue .i have plenty of thin malleable copper and alum shims if need be

Yeah, I had the two piece bases on it, but could not get the scope itself back far enough to make for comfortable eye relief.
I found I was always trying to lean forward, and it was far from comfortable.

Which is why I wanted the full rail so I could achieve what I needed.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by northdude » 05 Jul 2022, 8:19 am

Do you guys have the dnz mounts over there. They are pretty good, got them on a couple of my rifles
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Blr243 » 05 Jul 2022, 11:11 am

Not heard of them but they could b available
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 05 Jul 2022, 2:53 pm

I just use the Leupold backcountry pic rail in both 0 and 20 Moa on my howas they fit perfectly cos they are designed for the Vanguard Howa Smith and Wesson action
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles