Anschutz 1532 [double trigger] .222 Rem: broken firing pin

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Anschutz 1532 [double trigger] .222 Rem: broken firing pin

Post by NTSOG » 05 Jul 2022, 1:50 pm

G'day,

The firing pin on this very accurate, but old rifle snapped this morning at the rear end. I know Anschutz do not keep parts in their inventory for such elderly rifles, hence it's highly unlikely there is a spare firing pin available.

Would a skilled metal worker be able to 'splice' the two pieces together again? My skills in working with metal are minimal so I have no idea if it would be possible. If I can't get this fixed, then the old girl goes for scrap which would be a shame as it's shooting 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Jim.
Attachments
IMG_2039 (2).JPG
IMG_2039 (2).JPG (33.74 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Anschutz 1532 [double trigger] .222 Rem: broken firing p

Post by Blr243 » 05 Jul 2022, 2:23 pm

Someone may be abl to braze it or tig it but they are probably not familiar with the internal stresses on a firearm and will probably not guarantee its longevity......a gunsmith might be better person to ask. My bandsaw blades are only 1mm thick max and they are welded together, and they constantly flex from being straight to wrapping round an 80 mm diameter wheel at high speed .... pretty amazing sometimes how small fine welding can hold up.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jul 2022, 2:43 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

The firing pin on this very accurate, but old rifle snapped this morning at the rear end. I know Anschutz do not keep parts in their inventory for such elderly rifles, hence it's highly unlikely there is a spare firing pin available.

Would a skilled metal worker be able to 'splice' the two pieces together again? My skills in working with metal are minimal so I have no idea if it would be possible. If I can't get this fixed, then the old girl goes for scrap which would be a shame as it's shooting 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Jim.

There's a bending moment right there so I don't know how well a weld would hold. Might be possible to bore it and put a screw down the length. But it looks pretty easy to just make a new one from scratch. Take it to a machine shop and ask somebody.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 06 Jul 2022, 7:58 pm

It looks weldable. got nothing to loose trying it. Doesn't look that complicated to make either.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Fionn » 06 Jul 2022, 9:13 pm

Best would to get it laser welded, pretty simple job

It can also be TiG welded but may need to be heat treated after

Laser would be the pick.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 07 Jul 2022, 7:14 am

G'day All,

Thanks for your repair advice.

In desperation I wrote to the parts department of Anschuetz [Germany]. To my delight I received a prompt reply that the firing pin for the 1532 rifle is available in stock so I have asked the local gun shop to order it. As I initially wrote I had been informed some time ago by an Australian Anschuetz dealer that parts for older Anschuetz rifles are no longer held by Anschuetz [Germany]. Apparently they sold off much of the older parts inventory to dealers around the world. Apparently the firing pin will cost about $A250 plus gun-smith charges, but that's a small price to pay to be able to get this lovely rifle back in action.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 07 Jul 2022, 8:12 am

A bit spendy if you wanted to keep another one for spare :(
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 07 Jul 2022, 12:18 pm

No_49er: "A bit spendy if you wanted to keep another one for spare."

It is a lot of money for a small [though important] part. However I don't have children waiting for me to drop off the perch and inherit my estate and my wife is a serious competitive horse rider. Nothing is too much or too costly for her neddies, e.g. every 6 weeks the farrier turns up and it's $150.00 each for a hot shoeing job, then there are new saddles and blankets, special food, veterinary expenses, etc. As a result if I want a new shooting 'toy' I encounter no resistance whatsoever.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 07 Jul 2022, 12:50 pm

Happy wife, happy life.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles