is heat shrink safe for rifle bores?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

is heat shrink safe for rifle bores?

Post by YAREYARE » 13 Jul 2022, 8:01 pm

Hi All.

Sorry if this isnt the right place for this but i was wondering if anyone knows if there is anything particularly nasty in heat shrink tubing that would do the bore of my rifles any harm. i tried making some rifle rods to get more usable space in my safe. basically i just have brass rods that i put a bit of heat shrink over that velcro to my roof of the safe. Worked pretty well, went from struggling to fit 8 with the wall spacer to looking like i could fit 10 pretty easily now.

(if anyone one is curious my collection has a
cz 452 .22,
Henry .22,
marlin .17,
miroku 12ga
Lithgow .303
type 99 arisaka
sweedish m96 6.5
and a tikka t3x .204 at the gunsmith being fitted and pillared to a boyds stock
Attachments
292933083_381830724047424_8046560741521222174_n.jpg
292933083_381830724047424_8046560741521222174_n.jpg (257.21 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
YAREYARE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: is heat shrink safe for rifle bores?

Post by bigpete » 13 Jul 2022, 8:34 pm

Its only plastic...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jul 2022, 9:36 pm

If the rods are brass you don't need anything. Use "as is".
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 14 Jul 2022, 11:45 am

Not keen on that idea . It could have unforeseen affects on the lubrication inside the bore . I can't say I have had any experience in this matter or point to any specific problem but I just don't like it .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by YAREYARE » 14 Jul 2022, 10:15 pm

Oldbloke wrote:If the rods are brass you don't need anything. Use "as is".

True. the heat shrink is more to make up a little more space in the bore as the rods a little undersized. plus even though I know brass wont hurt the rifling, just the though of metal scraping in and out makes me cringe a little
YAREYARE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 14 Jul 2022, 11:20 pm

Here's some thoughts for you.
Brass is a relatively soft metal compared to the steel of the barrel. Unlikely to cause any problem.
A copper projectile will get the hurry up and whistle down the bore at a couple of thousand feet per second. No problem.
A brass cartridge case will be inserted into, and extracted from, the rifle chamber. Not usually a problem.
A brass rod can easily be wiped clean prior to insertion into the bore. Shouldn't be a problem.
But consider this. The heat-shrink plastic is much softer than the brass. Hard/gritty particles could become embedded in the plastic and might then abrade the crown or bore.
If it were me, I'd be inclined to use naked brass.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Jul 2022, 9:18 am

Also, depending on the quality of the heat-shrink, it can be affected by oils and solvents. I've seen some of it it turn into a sticky goo on the underground machinery I used to work on.
Certainly wouldn't want that down the bore.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by YAREYARE » 15 Jul 2022, 4:35 pm

No1_49er wrote:Here's some thoughts for you.
Brass is a relatively soft metal compared to the steel of the barrel. Unlikely to cause any problem.
A copper projectile will get the hurry up and whistle down the bore at a couple of thousand feet per second. No problem.
A brass cartridge case will be inserted into, and extracted from, the rifle chamber. Not usually a problem.
A brass rod can easily be wiped clean prior to insertion into the bore. Shouldn't be a problem.
But consider this. The heat-shrink plastic is much softer than the brass. Hard/gritty particles could become embedded in the plastic and might then abrade the crown or bore.
If it were me, I'd be inclined to use naked brass.

very goo points, i might remove the heat shrink and get thicker brass rods when i cant get around to it
YAREYARE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by YAREYARE » 15 Jul 2022, 4:36 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Also, depending on the quality of the heat-shrink, it can be affected by oils and solvents. I've seen some of it it turn into a sticky goo on the underground machinery I used to work on.
Certainly wouldn't want that down the bore.

honestly didnt even think of that. i was more worried about something leeching out of the heat shrink. cleaning out a rubber sticky goo would be a massive pain in the arse
YAREYARE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 15 Jul 2022, 6:06 pm

I don't like this whole idea . I think it could have unforeseen affects .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles