Which lever action?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Which lever action?

Post by JohnV » 17 Jul 2022, 12:20 pm

It just can't penetrate like a higher velocity bullet can . It's popular because a lot of people use it over dogs because it's not too powerful . The type of projectile which is a pistol type bullet will not go through stuff like a pointed bullet will . I have used 357 , 44 magnum , 44-40 in my time and a Nosler ballistic tip from a 243 will penetrate bush better . I am talking scrub penetration not the perfect open shot . The OP said , " thick scrub " .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jul 2022, 1:23 pm

The browning lever is likely to be more accurate than other levers ....but the triggers are pretty awful and hard to improve. I’m choosing not to hunt with mine for that reason ...... it’s hard to mention deer legal calibres without jumping up into the PAIN FOR SHOULDER area. Mine is 243 ... they also avail are 257 Roberts and 270 win . Side eject. Drilled for mounts. The existing iron sights are buck type ( the correct description escapes me ) and barrel mounted. I reckon an after market peep sight could be easily added to a small weaver base on the receiver. The lightest lever to carry I think would be the Rossi. It’s like carrying nothing
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 17 Jul 2022, 3:31 pm

JohnV wrote:It just can't penetrate like a higher velocity bullet can . It's popular because a lot of people use it over dogs because it's not too powerful . The type of projectile which is a pistol type bullet will not go through stuff like a pointed bullet will . I have used 357 , 44 magnum , 44-40 in my time and a Nosler ballistic tip from a 243 will penetrate bush better . I am talking scrub penetration not the perfect open shot . The OP said , " thick scrub " .

its popular because it works mate, with or without dogs. Pointed rifle cartridges are usually more powerful no doubt, but have to admit its the first I have heard of 243 being a choice over 357 and 44 for better thick scrub use. :wtf: Again, pistol cal levers are pretty popular up here for the rainforest and swamp etc.
Last edited by mickb on 17 Jul 2022, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by dnedative » 17 Jul 2022, 5:25 pm

To be honest, if your shooting through bush its not going to matter what you use - If it hits a branch or a shrub the bullet is off on a wild adventure regardless if its a 357, 44mag or a 45-70.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jul 2022, 7:16 pm

dnedative wrote:To be honest, if your shooting through bush its not going to matter what you use - If it hits a branch or a shrub the bullet is off on a wild adventure regardless if its a 357, 44mag or a 45-70.

Shooting through brush is less of a problem if the brush is in front of the target rather than in front of you. Small deflections matter a lot when the bullet has to travel 50m, not so much when it only has to travel another meter to hit the target. Yes, if there are decent branches I'd would suggest not taking the shot as your bullet could wind up anywhere if it bounces off a branch.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 17 Jul 2022, 7:59 pm

Just buy a gun and go shoot.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 17 Jul 2022, 9:01 pm

Regardless of what you end up with, consider a good recoil pad in your situation. I've had a Rossi in .357M for nearly 40 years and it's mild as a kitten with reduced power loads but the narrow steel butt plate will bite if using full power factory loads. I have no shoulder injuries (well not on my preferred shoulder anyway) but after a solid session with full power loads I feel it and I did when I was 20 years old as well. I'm not recoil sensitive and happily shoot shotgun and much more powerful rifles but the ergonomics of that little steel Rossi butt plate just don't fit me well.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blackened » 18 Jul 2022, 5:31 pm

Locking this as it's gone completely into irrelevant topics now, and far too many arguments are being removed.
Blackened

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles