Which lever action?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Which lever action?

Post by gilmc » 15 Jul 2022, 4:17 pm

Hello all.
I’m after advice/info on what lever action and calibre rifle would be best for pigs, goats and deer in thick scrub?

I’ve been lucky gaining access to a place but as the bush is thick in a lot of areas I now need a rifle that would be better suited to these conditions plus I’ve always wanted a lever action. Most of the areas it will be used will have a range 80-100m. Only issue I have is the recoil, with age and a not so good shoulder I need something that has less recoil than a shotgun (no longer able to use one).

Im hoping to get something for around the $1500 or less, also plan on using factory ammo.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Cheers :drinks: :drinks:
gilmc
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Which lever action?

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2022, 4:28 pm

gilmc wrote:Hello all.
I’m after advice/info on what lever action and calibre rifle would be best for pigs, goats and deer in thick scrub?

I’ve been lucky gaining access to a place but as the bush is thick in a lot of areas I now need a rifle that would be better suited to these conditions plus I’ve always wanted a lever action. Most of the areas it will be used will have a range 80-100m. Only issue I have is the recoil, with age and a not so good shoulder I need something that has less recoil than a shotgun (no longer able to use one).

Im hoping to get something for around the $1500 or less, also plan on using factory ammo.

I have shoulder issues also that makes 12ga. very painful.
I'd look at .30-30 or .44 Magnum, or perhaps .357 Magnum - but the heavier .44 bullets might be a better bet in thick bush.

Actual design will come down to your preferences. Do you want to run a scope for example?
Have a look at Marlin, the 1894 in .44Mag or the 336 in .30-30. These are easily scoped as they eject out the side.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 15 Jul 2022, 5:19 pm

Rossi 92 in 44 magnum
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 15 Jul 2022, 5:25 pm

bigpete wrote:Rossi 92 in 44 magnum

Yes I don't know what model it was but I looked at one of these in my lgs a few months ago and was blown away at the quality of it compared to the crappy old one I used back in the early 90s fit and finish was very nice action was smooth I'd buy one and a heartbeat if I had the money at the time
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 15 Jul 2022, 5:49 pm

bigpete wrote:Rossi 92 in 44 magnum

The crescent steel butt plate may make the recoil to painful in 44mag, the citadel maybe a better choice as it has a rubber recoil pad.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by gilmc » 15 Jul 2022, 5:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:
gilmc wrote:Hello all.

I have shoulder issues also that makes 12ga. very painful.
I'd look at .30-30 or .44 Magnum, or perhaps .357 Magnum - but the heavier .44 bullets might be a better bet in thick bush.

Actual design will come down to your preferences. Do you want to run a scope for example?
Have a look at Marlin, the 1894 in .44Mag or the 336 in .30-30. These are easily scoped as they eject out the side.

Thanks for that, Actually prefer open sites for thick bush so I won’t be using a scope.
gilmc
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Larry » 15 Jul 2022, 6:09 pm

I got a chiapa at a pretty good price at one of the actions and was very happy with the build quality. New the levers are a bit pricey perhaps a 357mag would go well for you still enough power for a pig but very little recoil.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by gilmc » 15 Jul 2022, 6:14 pm

Thanks everyone, I have a couple of recoil pads from my other rifles that I might be able to reshape and use, if not I’ll look at options when I go to the gun shop.
Being from Canberra I’m limited where I can buy so I wanted to go there and tell them what I want rather than what they recommend.
Fionn, I like the look of the Citadel so that is a definite option, thanks.
gilmc
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Strikey » 15 Jul 2022, 6:36 pm

I hear ya about the buggered shoulder, I'm in the same boat and will eventually need a replacement anyways, I am still able to shoot my Winnie Model 94 30/30, the recoil is fairly mild, more than enough knock-down power, mine has a Williams receiver mounted aperture sight and they are probably the best lever action rifle for what you are wanting to do.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Jul 2022, 7:05 pm

Have you looked at the PAST Recoil Shield, mate? I use one off a bench and like it.
Whatever you do, steer clear of the Mossberg 464 :thumbsdown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 15 Jul 2022, 7:12 pm

gilmc wrote:Fionn, I like the look of the Citadel so that is a definite option, thanks.

If you haven't already check out this thread https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16627 some good pictures of a citadel by SHV
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Billo » 15 Jul 2022, 7:53 pm

Larry wrote:I got a chiapa at a pretty good price at one of the actions and was very happy with the build quality. New the levers are a bit pricey perhaps a 357mag would go well for you still enough power for a pig but very little recoil.

Hey Larry which Chiappa did you get, is it any good ?

A mates looking for one in 357 Magnum but they seem to be in very very short supply in Oz at the moment.
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by gilmc » 15 Jul 2022, 8:51 pm

After doing a lot of reading (brain overload) it’s looking like the 30-30 is the go and from what others have written has no issue dropping pigs, goats and deer. Also seam to be good range of brands and reasonably priced and ammo not too expensive.
I actual like using an open sight so stick with that with the option of red dot later on.
Thanks everyone
gilmc
Recruit
Recruit

Post by gilmc » 15 Jul 2022, 8:58 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Have you looked at the PAST Recoil Shield, mate? I use one off a bench and like it.

Hadn’t thought of that, thanks. Just what I need. Even the .223 hurts after a while.
gilmc
Recruit
Recruit

Post by mickb » 15 Jul 2022, 11:23 pm

357 mag is best for low recoil, low cost and also still effective. Be wary about internet searches for 357 on pigs , as often its people who havent used one. It willl flatten pigs fine with the right bullets and,its also not a 80 yard only gun( another thing the forums often dont get right ). A good load and the gun will outrun your eyes(well mine anyway) with open sights, aka 125 yards.

30-30 is a great calibre, more powerful and longer range, more expensive ammo. You seem to mention recoil sensitivity quite a bit(from 223?). Be aware the 30-30 is a step up in recoil from calibres like 357.
44 mag similar comments apply regards power, some added recoil and cost. I recently got into the calibre myself after a long time with 357's.

As to models/brands
Rossi/Puma 1892 is the lightest, strongest and cheapest of all. Can have roughness from the factory( burs on load gate, internals etc) but usually can be smoothed out. Citadel is also a rossi gun.
Chiappa, more expensive than the Rossi's, they do some nice looking guns but I advise buyers to run a google search on chiappa quality issues for any model. I had one myself that had the '''gunsmith level '' warranty returns.
Anything Marlin, more expensive than rossi, very strong too , had quality issues for a few years a while but apparently new ones of the last couple years are back on track. Main advantage(to me) is they can be scoped
Uberti and winchester/miroku, probably the nicest looking guns, but new expect 2-3k prices.
Last edited by mickb on 16 Jul 2022, 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by hunting99 » 15 Jul 2022, 11:28 pm

A Marlin in 30-30 would be my pick. The recoil from the 30-30 I find is more of a slow push than other rounds. And is better suited for goats and deer at longer ranges than 44&357.
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jul 2022, 8:48 am

gilmc wrote:After doing a lot of reading (brain overload) it’s looking like the 30-30 is the go and from what others have written has no issue dropping pigs, goats and deer. Also seam to be good range of brands and reasonably priced and ammo not too expensive.
I actual like using an open sight so stick with that with the option of red dot later on.
Thanks everyone

The option of a red dot will need you to choose a rifle that allows mounting one. Most of the "old school" designs are top-eject so would need some kind of scout mount or rail mounted on the barrel. I know the Rossi does allow this as mine has had a scout rail installed.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 16 Jul 2022, 10:31 am

Marlin 336: side eject, nice weight for recoil, 12 groove rifling, easy to fit a rail for telescopic/ scout/ red dot optic.
For 30-30 reloads, seat as long as possible to what will load in the action, they have a huge jump to lands. Also crimp tight as the mag spring is strong
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2022, 11:37 am

"Have a a look at Marlin, the 1894 in .44Mag or the 336 in .30-30. These are easily scoped as they eject out the side."

My first centrefire. Great rifle, shot heaps of pigs with it. But a bit heavier than the Winchester

Consider a peep sight
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 16 Jul 2022, 3:40 pm

Browning BLR in 308 . The box magazine in a lever action lets you use pointed projectiles .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Larry » 16 Jul 2022, 3:45 pm

Billo wrote:
Larry wrote:I got a chiapa at a pretty good price at one of the actions and was very happy with the build quality. New the levers are a bit pricey perhaps a 357mag would go well for you still enough power for a pig but very little recoil.

Hey Larry which Chiappa did you get, is it any good ?

A mates looking for one in 357 Magnum but they seem to be in very very short supply in Oz at the moment.

Well Billo I have a Chiappa in 357 Mag and like I said it is a really nice gun very good on fit and finish and very nice work ability. The Chiappas are a true clone of the Winchester 1892 rifle with a part to part exact copy. It seems to be a very strongly built rifle made from quality steel.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by JohnV » 16 Jul 2022, 3:47 pm

Browning BLR in 308 . The box magazine in a lever action lets you use pointed projectiles . Take just the stock to a reputable gunsmith and have a decelerator recoil pad fitted .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 16 Jul 2022, 4:38 pm

In light of that I would say Browning BLR in .243 or 6.5 Creedmoor to drop some more recoil .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Boundry Rider » 16 Jul 2022, 4:43 pm

Yep I agree, with your condition the 30-30 is inappropriate recoil. The .44 or .357 would be much more suited.
Recoil pads like Limbsaver and weighted stock even may help. I have a 4mm steel plate spacer under the buttpad on one of my rifles to balance a bull barrel, it soaks up recoil even though it’s not the primary function.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gilmc » 16 Jul 2022, 4:57 pm

[quote="Boundry Rider"]Yep I agree, with your condition the 30-30 is inappropriate recoil. The .44 or .357 would be much more suited.
Recoil pads like Limbsaver and weighted stock even may help. I have a 4mm steel plate spacer under the buttpad on one of my rifles to balance a bull barrel, it soaks up recoil even though it’s not the primary function.[/quote

Interesting I might try that.
I actually have a Limbsaver, I got it for a previous rifle so I could definitely use it even if I have to modify it. :thumbsup:
gilmc
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Fionn » 16 Jul 2022, 6:08 pm

gilmc wrote:Thanks Fionn. I’ve just been talking to someone a friend put me onto, he has a 357mag and we are going to the local range to test it. He said the recoil isnt that bad. Good thing is he is a physiotherapist so I get the best of both, shoot his 357mag and then get therapy :D . He also mentioned he has a shoulder strap with padding that he made for the same reason, he suffers from arthritis in both shoulders.

Thanks everyone (but 1 :sarcasm: ), much appreciated.

I have Rossi 357mag in stainless steel, I think they are the perfect calibre for what you are looking for. Although I would suggest the Citadel due to the crescent butt plate in the Rossi R92.

They currently both cost around the $1000-$1100 mark.

The 357mag is a very capable round and can be reloaded quite hot in the Rossi's
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 16 Jul 2022, 7:19 pm

Rossi 92; 357 mag
Recoil is light, ammunition is cheap, works pretty good on pigs.
44 mag is better but considerably more expensive to feed and recoil is higher.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2022, 11:39 pm

gilmc wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Have you looked at the PAST Recoil Shield, mate? I use one off a bench and like it.

Hadn’t thought of that, thanks. Just what I need. Even the .223 hurts after a while.

Well you won't be shooting 20 rounds at a time when hunting. Unless you get lucky.

Sounds like 30.30 might be a tad too much recoil as your shoulder is buggered.

Have you considered 223 with say,,,75gr bullets.
Perhaps enough for the average pig. ???
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 17 Jul 2022, 8:51 am

You will be disappointed in the thick scrub penetrating and range ability of a .357 . You did say thick scrub . If you go that route try and find the clearest shots that avoids the thicker stuff although your mobility is again a limiting factor . Really only you know what is best for you under your circumstances .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 17 Jul 2022, 9:12 am

Why would he be dissappointed with 357 in the thick scrub? Very popular calibre in QLD for rainforest and it doesnt get thicker than that. In fact several bush types its popular and we also have the most pigs. I sometimes wonder if the southern states shouldnt just make a 30-06 law where its the only calibre you are allowed to own because it seems to be the only power level you fellas ever think works. Everything else is a toy for kids :D
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles