One gun what would it be?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: One gun what would it be?

Post by Border_Bloke » 30 Jul 2022, 8:29 am

Can it be a combo?
Does it have to be a current manufactured rifle?

Hard decision if you want one gun to kill a sambar and not vaporise a rabbit.

If a combo for around here then a Blaser or Merkel 12g over a 308 (or 30-06 or 8x57 or similar) with QD mounts an a Leupold mark 8 1.1-8 x 24 illuminated scope.

if a non-current chambering is allowed then a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington with the same scope. Or a BLR in 358.

If I had to pick something you can buy off the shelf today that isn’t a combo for everything then I’d probably get a tikka T3 forest in 270 with a leupold mark 6 3-18x44.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Jul 2022, 9:11 am

I'm a little surprised nobody has specified a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range :unknown:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Boundry Rider » 30 Jul 2022, 9:51 am

Border_Bloke wrote:Can it be a combo?
Hard decision if you want one gun to kill a sambar and not vaporise a rabbit.

You got it right though, .270 or 30-30 can do actually that.

I can shoot apples using peeps or red dot with my Marlin 30-30 to 60-75Y, in a pinch a table bunny is achievable.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2022, 4:02 pm

I think that anybody legitimately wanting to get by with just one rifle really needs to load their own ammo to get the versatility out of it. If you're only going to work with factory offerings, a lot of what you want to do with it will be less than optimal.

People shoot in different ways. Some enjoy lying in a paddock for hours plinking at paper, steel or cans, some enjoy hitting steel gongs at distances further than they can see, some enjoy walking creek banks taking running rabbits and foxes, some enjoy sitting in a hide taking ducks and birds out of the sky, some enjoy spending several days and nights stalking deer in steep dense bush, some prefer to stay in a vehicle and use a light to take foxes at night, some enjoy shooting military or other "collectible" rifles, some enjoy recreating even earlier shooting with blackpowder rifles, and some prefer to fit into very specific classes of competition. If you do want to shoot a specific form of competition then your choice of "one rifle" to do everything is going to be greatly restricted to what is eligible for that competition.

To find a single longarm that lets you do all of this, and more, is very, very difficult. A mid-range centrefire, and the ability to load your own ammo can do most of these things very acceptably. Something accurate with a tight twist-rate in the 7mm to 8mm range, offering velocities from 2400fps with the heaviest bullets to 3500fps+ with the lightest, can be very versatile indeed. You can also cast bullets to make for very cheap plinking and to take care of the jobs that you would normally reach for a .22LR to take of.

If you're into ducks though, then you have to use a gun by law (rifles are not allowed), greatly restricting what other duties your gun will do with a degree of competency. You can use chamber inserts to shoot a variety of cartridges, with acceptable results as long as the distances are quite short. You can use a rifled choke and slugs to make it reasonably capable as a deer rifle (not allowed to use shot on deer in Victoria) out to 100m or a little further. You can buy or make longer rifled barrel inserts that turn a 12ga. barrel into a reasonable rifle barrel in .22Hornet, .30-30, 7.62x39mm and .45-70 at the most potent end - rimfire and pistol chamberings are more common. This is a 12ga. .30-30 18" barrel insert for example - https://chaszel.com/product/30-30-shotgun-adapters/ With a QD scope mount you could see decent accuracy - but it is still a significant compromise over a rifle. In some states, such a barrel insert is considered another barrel or even a firearm in its own right, thus making it void for this example of "one gun". It's also an option to load shot into large-bore cartridges, like .45Colt, .44Mag, .444Marlin and .45-70, giving .410-like loads, but being rifled barrels the range is very, very limited.

So, to be able to effectively choose "one gun/rifle" you first need to determine the purposes you want to be able to use it for.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 30 Jul 2022, 7:41 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I'm a little surprised nobody has specified a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range :unknown:

Gave it some thought mate. :D Actually I used to own the next best thing( according to Arnie) the " Spas-12 Autoloader". Great shotgun, semi-auto and pump action function, you could change modes on the fly with a selector under the pump grip. Just had to remember there was another button to allow the last shell to eject if you were pumping the empties out. If you didnt it would keep one in the chamber and if you pulled the trigger expecting to release the action in your bedroom you would easily blow a hole in your wardrobe and deafen yourself for about 10 minutes. Dont ask me how I know that. :unknown:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Billo » 30 Jul 2022, 8:59 pm

Only one gun, would have to be a MAUSER
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2022, 10:08 pm

mickb wrote:223 rem in any bolt. Cheap, can take most things if your head shooting is good. Download it with fast pistol powders for anything from 22LR, 22mag or 22 hornet power levels. Long range bullets if I need to play long range ninja. Barnes bullets for more penetration on medium game.

:)

This. Plus the orange sling someone mentioned and 3x9x40 scope
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 31 Jul 2022, 12:04 am

Ob. You must only have a production or custom leather sling .. no one is permitted to be as random and feral as me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jul 2022, 3:16 am

Blr, all my rifles have orange slings. Lol.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 31 Jul 2022, 11:59 am

I suppose much easier to find if u put it down for a sec in low light. and a little bit safer I suppose like wearing a bit of blaze clothing if others are about
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jul 2022, 12:36 pm

Blr243 wrote:I suppose much easier to find if u put it down for a sec in low light. and a little bit safer I suppose like wearing a bit of blaze clothing if others are about

We are on the same page.
I went for a piss in the dark once. Took 5 minutes to find the rifle. :lol:

Pretty much always wear an orange or red cap/beanie too.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 22Whorenut » 31 Jul 2022, 4:42 pm

22 Hornet in a Browning A bolt. 3.5-10 Meopta.
22Whorenut
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mickb » 01 Aug 2022, 2:53 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:FFS !!!
Someone's gone and broken the rules!!
Now we need to start all over again
John, to the naughty corner please
:sarcasm:

Well if John can have a combo with barrel sets I would have a Vierling in 12ga, 12 ga rifled, 30R blaser and 9.3 x 74R

...with a second barrel set in 16ga, 16ga, 22LR and 8 x 57

Now just to decide the 3rd and 4th barrel sets hmmm... :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by phill55phill » 01 Aug 2022, 6:08 pm

M70 featherweight in 2506
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 03 Aug 2022, 10:07 am

The Vierling Rifle (4 barrels: one .22 hornet, two 8x57 big game, one .20 gauge)

Although if I had the money for this it'd be a fair bet it wouldn't be my only one :D
3e985ce10fb5304696584bac386045c9-1.jpg
3e985ce10fb5304696584bac386045c9-1.jpg (30.87 KiB) Viewed 2665 times

four-barrelled-01-04.jpg
four-barrelled-01-04.jpg (412.57 KiB) Viewed 2665 times

https://fanzoj.com/collection/gunmaking ... e-shotgun/
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Gun-nut » 03 Aug 2022, 9:33 pm

Lazarus wrote:The Vierling Rifle (4 barrels: one .22 hornet, two 8x57 big game, one .20 gauge)

Although if I had the money for this it'd be a fair bet it wouldn't be my only one :D

four-barrelled-01-04.jpg

How do the sights work on that thing? :shock: Though a double barrelled 8mm does sound like a lot of fun.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Aug 2022, 2:29 am

Same as any other sights !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by northdude » 04 Aug 2022, 4:55 am

I bet its an excercise of extreme patience trying to get all 3 rifle barrels shooting to the same poi. Id end up throwing the thing away
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Boundry Rider » 04 Aug 2022, 8:42 am

Lazarus wrote:The Vierling Rifle (4 barrels: one .22 hornet, two 8x57 big game, one .20 gauge)

four-barrelled-01-04.jpg

SOLD!
Umm, I’ll have .223REM/.300WinMag/12G thanks :D

Wait, this could be the start of a whole new thread...
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Aug 2022, 11:08 am

northdude wrote:I bet its an excercise of extreme patience trying to get all 3 rifle barrels shooting to the same poi. Id end up throwing the thing away

This is why decent multi barrel firearms are so expensive. The regulation
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Aug 2022, 1:52 pm

bigpete wrote:
northdude wrote:I bet its an excercise of extreme patience trying to get all 3 rifle barrels shooting to the same poi. Id end up throwing the thing away

Yeah, but what specific ammo are they regulating it to?
I think it would come down to trying a bunch of different bullets and velocities to get them all to come together roughly in one spot at one specific distance. Even getting the two 8x57JRS barrels to shoot to the same point with identical loads could be difficult.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 04 Aug 2022, 2:11 pm

For those looking for more details on the Hausmann &Co Vierling four barrel.

https://hausmann-co-guns.com/en/guns/the-vierling/
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 04 Aug 2022, 4:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:

I think it would come down to trying a bunch of different bullets and velocities to get them all to come together roughly in one spot at one specific distance. Even getting the two 8x57JRS barrels to shoot to the same point with identical loads could be difficult.

Well,its been done for 100 years already,so..... :unknown:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by dnedative » 04 Aug 2022, 7:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:

Probably parallel regulation but I dont doubt at all that a good German gunsmith could regulate a triple rifle with a given ammunition.
Gunsmithing peaked in the 1930's, some of the sporting rifles the British high street made along with the Swiss and Germans were on another level, too much of which has been taken to the grave.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 04 Aug 2022, 7:52 pm

four-barrelled-01-04.jpg

nice rifle I'm sure. It wouldn't look that pretty after it had been out a few times with me. To pretty to take out of the case..
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Lazarus » 04 Aug 2022, 8:15 pm

northdude wrote:nice rifle I'm sure. It wouldn't look that pretty after it had been out a few times with me. To pretty to take out of the case..

It wouldn't get fired much if it was mine, I'd probably spend more time looking at it than shooting it.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Aug 2022, 8:23 pm

dnedative wrote:Probably parallel regulation but I dont doubt at all that a good German gunsmith could regulate a triple rifle with a given ammunition.
Gunsmithing peaked in the 1930's, some of the sporting rifles the British high street made along with the Swiss and Germans were on another level, too much of which has been taken to the grave.

Yes, absolutely no issue getting it regulated to one specific ammunition. Which is great until you can't get that ammo any more.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 04 Aug 2022, 8:50 pm

Lazarus wrote:
northdude wrote:nice rifle I'm sure. It wouldn't look that pretty after it had been out a few times with me. To pretty to take out of the case..

It wouldn't get fired much if it was mine, I'd probably spend more time looking at it than shooting it.

I like to play with my toys and share them as well.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by NAHMINT II » 14 Aug 2022, 5:29 pm

I suppose if I lived in DARLINGTON, a .22lr with a 2.5 x 9 scope would fit the bill....Here on Vancouver island, a .30-06 with a 3x9 scope ,because of the projectile weights of 100- 250gr. and cast projectiles would be a fine all around calibre.......BUT being old and nervous about the GRIZZLY BEARS on the upper east side of the island salmon rivers, I carry a SAVAGE bolt rifle in .300 win.mag... loaded with 200gr. partitions and a 220 gr.R N.
The perfect rifle really depends on where your stationed and what game you want/could encounter......
all that being said, IF I could have only 1 firearm,it would be a 12 ga. pump shottie with choke tubes,24'' barrel and take 2 1/2 AND 3'' shells. :friends: :D
NAHMINT II
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Shootermick » 14 Aug 2022, 5:57 pm

Ruger 10/22 with a red dot.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria